“sorry but no” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dorking, United Kingdom
“sorry but no”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This pub was brilliantly run for many years by a lovely couple who served well-kept beers and excellently-cooked food. I booked it for my birthday not realising it was under new management.
The staff assured us that all the staff and chef were the same; just the manager had changed - although i didn't recognise any of them i hadn't been there for a year. The place has been given a Farrow and Ball facelift although there was nothing much wrong with it before. Sadly, the prices have gone up and the food quality has gone down. Of the 7 mains and 8 starters ordered, only about half were good. The scallops and black pudding starter was good, the asparagus and poached egg disappointing. The best main was actually liver and bacon which was cooked excellently, and fish and chips. The chips have the skins on which is fine if you scrub them well but they some were gritty with soil residue. The 2 lamb tagines were utterly inauthentic and wrongly spiced - prunes would have been more appropriate than apricots and the cumin was overwhelming with little other depth to the spice mix. Duck and mango salad was just average and would have benefited from the duck being warm, fatty meat never being best served fridge-cold - and the mango overripe. That should have been an easy dish to get right. The sausage and mash was ok and the gravy was very good. Desserts were poor. Mains were all upwards of £13.50, starters mostly £7 - £9. I would say service was slow. Trying hard with the prices and presentation but the food sadly doesn't live up to the menu so i would have to consider it a bit of a rip-off and wouldn't go back except for a beer in passing. Shame, this used to be so much better and served top-quality honest food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LeighJames, Owner at The Seven Stars at Leigh, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hello, thank you very much for your review. I'm so sorry that the changes that you experienced and the food that you ordered did not meet your approval, It's such a shame that you didn't say anything to me on the evening in question as i am always very interested in peoples opinions, I assumed that as your party left happy that you had had an enjoyable evening. I have had the restaurant decorated as places can start to look tired and dated if not taken care of and details paid attention to. I removed the pews to gain more natural light and the sofas to give a more restaurant as opposed to lounge feel. In respect of prices going up, in actual fact the meals that are still on the menu from the previous owners (very few) have actually gone down as i felt they were just too high. There may be a couple of new items that are higher but they are new and the quality of the ingredients and portion size reflects said price. I'm glad that the liver and hake were good for you, your note about the chips has been taken on board and addressed. I am sorry that our tagine was not to your approval, my Moroccan chef supplied his families recipe especially so i will be looking into that one carefully! The duck and mango salad is one of our biggest sellers, we use duck leg confit to make sure it is as tasty as possible, i'm sorry if the lack of heat disapointed you, in retrospect we should inform customers of this fact. I can't comment on what was wrong with your desserts as all you say is that they were poor with no details.

Again, i feel it is a real shame that you didn't seek me out to discuss your disappointment at the time as i always much prefer to resolve things face to face. If you are in the area do please pop in and have a chat as i would be very happy to buy you that pint!

London
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I used to visit this pub fairly regularly and I suggested to my clients as it was under new management. We were completely underwhelmed with the service. The sandwiches were vastly overpriced and took forever to arrive. Not particularly friendly and won't be recommending again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hello and thank you for your review. I'm very sorry that your visit to The Seven Stars was not to your liking. I really do try to train my staff to be as friendly, helpful and subtle as possible and i'm very sorry if you experienced anything other than this. I have tried to price my sandwiches fairly starting at £6.50 for a generous British bacon lettuce and tomato with homecut chips up to £8 for a very large free range chicken and British bacon club. All my food is made to order using all fresh ingredients from quality suppliers. I don't feel that £6.50 is vastly overpriced for the quality and size of the meal that you get, but i apologize if you felt differently. As for the delay in the delivery of your food, all i can do is apologize and assume that maybe it was a busy period, I will be discussing waiting time with my kitchen staff just to make sure that customers aren't waiting any longer than 20-25 minutes depending on the meal ordered. As everything is made freshly to order there can be unfortunately a slight delay at busy periods but i train my staff to always warn customers if this is so. I am of the opinion that people in general don't mind waiting as long as they are told, it is when they are not informed that it can be frustrating and duly so.

I hope you will return at some point in the future.

Dorking, United Kingdom
“Just gets better and better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I have just enjoyed a relaxing afternoon in the garden at the 7 Stars enjoying a delicious pint or two of Aspells cider followed by the most spectacular of meals. The calves liver and bacon with mashed potato, spinach and sage jus is spectacular and I genuinely mean spectacular. A huge meal full of the most amazing flavours - totally blown away by the fantastic flavours and textures.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for your review, and for your continued support.

Reigate, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having driven past this pub on several occasions I always fancied a visit because it looked so inviting.
Set in lovley surroundings its a real gem tucked away in the country lanes. My wife and I visited on a Sunday to test drive the Sunday roast at this establishment. The staff greeted you warmly and within a minute we were sitting at our table and the drinks were ordered. Just when you start to think the food is taking a long time it arrives. On the plate it looked appetising and well presented, The chicken was cooked to perfection, juicy and tasty and the kale was left slightly crispy which is how it should be and the swede and carrot mash was delicious. The parsnips had a slight toffee taste to them which I wasnt sure about but they seemed to go well when eaten with other vegetables. The real big test for me on a sunday roast is the baked potatoes. They should be crispy, golden and firm and preferably white and blemish free, they got it right!. a rich and tasty gravy finished the whole dish which was a great eating experience.
My wife and I were a little rushed on the day so we had to skip the pudding but the sweet menu looked very tempting.
All in all you will get your monies worth here and next time I am in the area on a Sunday I will make a point of returning.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi there, thank you for your review it was much appreciated. I'm pleased that our Sunday lunch was up to standard. We really try to do something that bit better than your average Sunday roast and judging from your review we succeeded.

Please introduce yourself when you are next in, I hope to see you again soon.

SE England
“Vast change for the better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My previous experience with this pub was not good. Having called on for a drink one Sunday evening, my partner and I were very rudely informed by the rather surly landlord that he was not going to serve us because he was closing at 8 o'clock. It was half past seven!!! Having seen the 'under new management' notice while passing, we decided to give it another try. What a difference. A good selection of ales, friendly staff, comfortable bar. We only popped in for a drink but we stayed to dinner. The food was faultless. Needless to say this pub is back on our list of local eating places.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello, thanks for your review, I'm very glad that we are now back on your list!

Hope to see you again soon!