“Bravo, bellissimo!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Equal parts British and Italian, this old dining destination has everything from a picturesque setting to an amazing traditional Italian menu, and it's no wonder the place is popular for weddings and summertime al fresco lunches in the secret garden. Inside is a delight with its lemon and white tablecloths and original beam, and La Lanterna attracts and eclectic creative crowd as well business folk and loved up couples.
Vancouver, Canada
“Bravo, bellissimo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I recently revisited England and stayed with the lovely family for whom I had worked, and one evening, they kindly took me to a restaurant they enthusiastically described as a little corner of Italy in Surrey. How right they were! Though I love Italian food, my circumstances at the time I worked for them did not allow me to eat out much – and certainly not in posh places. La Lanterna looked quite posh to me when we entered but any timidity I might have felt was immediately relieved by the smiles with which we were welcomed. These smiles remained throughout but, at the end of the evening, my own smile must have been the biggest of all! I suppose I went for familiar dishes but the minestra was thick and flavoursome, the veal cutlets (my hosts did not quite condone my choice of this meat...) were thick and tender – and for the tiramisù, well, it was the best and prettiest I have ever had.

A big ‘grazie’ to my hosts and the restaurant itself!

• Visited October 2013

Czech Republic
“Definitely my favourite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This friendly Italian restaurant is my favourite amongst all restaurants I have been to since moving to England almost 10 years ago. It always reminds me of many happy meals eaten in the warm South of the wonderful country Tony comes from; its appearance may not but the food and welcome do!
It is heartening to see that a more modern presentation of dishes has led to overwhelmingly positive reviews for the last nine months or so. Yes, some guests may be unlucky (that happens in the best of places) but, overall, I have no doubt that La Lanterna is a dependable choice for a good meal out – in winter one eats inside, of course, but the pretty rear garden is a terrific setting on warm days – pity so few people seem to know about it...
I have never been disappointed here and shall keep returning! Viva La Lanterna!

Redhill, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and lovely personal service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked a birthday meal at La Lanterna in Reigate, an Italian Restaurant on Bell Street, Reigate, after one of our friends recommended the food and good service. I wasn't sure at first as read some of the reviews and they were not very positive. As a family of four, we love the atmosphere in Italian Restaurants and decided to try it, having been to most of the other restaurants in Reigate.
Tony, the owner, is so welcoming. I had the goats cheese starter and the rest had the scallops - it was marvellous. For the main course we all had the Monk fish, this was simply divine. The food was cooked just right with really good presentation. We decided to have a desert then the birthday cake and as usual, we were the last to leave, having been in the restaurant for 3 hours.
We really do recommend this restaurant and will be back in a few weeks for my birthday.

London, United Kingdom
“Perfect little Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had a meal here with my team a few days agao and it was perfect, reasonably priced and the service was fantastic. I love Italian food and this is the perfect little Italian restaurant in Reigate. Looking forward to my next visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Peacehaven, United Kingdom
“Dependable, typical and welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Though the cooking and presentation of the food in this somewhat quaint restaurant have become more 'modern' recently, I still feel that I am in a little corner of Italy. It is cosy, staff are solicitous and Tony is always there to make sure guests leave with a big smile on their faces. Yes, there may be more 'professional' places but the warm welcome and atmosphere, coupled with interesting, welll-cooked fare, easily compensate for what overly fastidious critics might consider shortcomings. I have no problem driving a fairly long way to enjoy another very pleasant experience, either indoors or, in summer, in the surprisingly romantic setting of the rear garden. Long may La Lanterna continue!

• 4 of 5 stars Food