“The bed was comfortable” 2 of 5 stars

Sir Douglas Haig
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 The Street | Effingham, Leatherhead KT24 5LU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Leatherhead B&B and Inns
Northwich, Cheshire
“The bed was comfortable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

..and I did have a decent night's sleep.

I tried being clever and booking somewhere relatively cheap but, with seemingly good guest reviews. I made a mistake. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Dinner was poor: Frozen chips and veggies accompanying a rather dry steak and ale pie. But, I must mention the cooked breakfast. I know not how old the dried up sausages that I had served up to me were, but I've never in my life seen anything like them. The congealed baked beans were little better. And the smell of the stale fat.........

I'm sure there are plenty of folk who don't spend half of their lives in hotels and who will find the Sir Douglas Haig just fine. As a businessman who does spend half of his life in hotels, I'm just not one of them.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and our two children stayed at the Sir Douglas Haig. Our aim was to experience the qwerky charms of a countryside inn. This was IT! The rooms were spacious. The beds were clean and comfy. The 3' x 5' bath sheet was nice to wrap up in after the bath (wonderful long tub to stretch out in - sided with wood). There were small paned windows that actually opened and we looked across the the lane to quaint hump-backed roof lines of posh cottages. We had dinner downstairs (good ale & really tasty steak n kidney pie) in the dining area. We watched a bit of football on the telly along with the other friendly patrons who helped give us directions to the Yehudi Menuhin School where we went to see a concert of the Olympianist and Tommy Carrol on cello. We returned home to our rooms and slept through a quiet night. I reflect and think that if I owned this inn, I would steadily upgrade or add trim to the rooms and yet take care to retain the inn's current charm. Thanks for the stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms #one and two.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Paphos, Cyprus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

As a business spending thousands of pounds each month on hotels for staff for over a decade now, this is a first for me. We booked the room bed and breakfast for last night, our rep turned up to check in, after a very long day, to find the hotel in darkness and no reply to the telephone or when knocking at the door. As no other hotel availability in the area he spends the night in his car and the hotel have the audacity to charge for a night they didn't provide. Well if that's what you call service then we wont be using this hotel or Hotels.com again.

Room Tip: I would go somewhere else if I wanted a good room, the risk is too great
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Douglas H, General Manager at Sir Douglas Haig, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Mike

Thank you for your review. As we have spoken about this already i will keep this brief. I would like all of those reading this review to be aware of all of the facts. and the key fact of this situation that you have omitted is that your rep arrived at our Bed and Breakfast at 12.15am without attempting to make any form of contact with us regarding his late arrival.

Also several attempts were made to contact your rep regarding his late arrival, but unfortunately there was no response from this telephone number.

I truly am sorry that you are not happy with the outcome of our discussions.

Regards

David Friskey
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Me, my husband and 2 1/2 yr old daughter stayed for two nights at the Sir Douglas Haig. We didn't book breakfast as we were visiting family but the room was lovely and big and was nice and clean. The owners are very accomodating and friendly. We had forgotten to pick up milk one evening for our daughter and the owners kindly gave us a jug of mlik. Very family freindly.
Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We had Room 2 which was front facing and still quiet didn't seem to hear anyone out the front of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The food was very disappointing especially the Fish & Chips. Over-cooked (reheated?) fish, peas cold, chips dry and tasteless. Salad with dressing was also unnecessary with the fish & chips.
Sausage & Mash was only just passable. Large lump of gristle in sausage. Improvement required.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Douglas H, Manager at Sir Douglas Haig, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear K B

I was sorry to hear of your very disappointing visit. We strive to maintain the highest possible standards at all times. Something we obviously did not achieve on this occasion

I would very much like to discuss this with you further and see if we can not rectify your ill feelings towards our little hotel.

If you would like to discuss this with me then please do not hesitate to contact me via email at sirdouglashaig@hotmail.com
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went here recently for a Sunday roast lunch with a friend. Food was absolutely horrible - the most tasteless everything I've ever had. Atmosphere horrible - it was pretty dead at Sunday lunch. Cheap tables and seating. I felt like I was sitting back in some grubby pub in South London rather than the lovely area this place actually is in.

The waiter's attitude was that we seemed to be putting him out by being there and him having to serve us food. No smile, no "please", "here you go", "thank yous".

Just don't bother please because they certainly don't!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Douglas H, Manager at Sir Douglas Haig, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Viktoria

Firstly I would like to thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback, good and bad and like to act on them accordingly.

Now unfortunately I am new to The Sir Douglas Haig having taken over towards the end of March and I was appalled to read of the experience and service you encountered.

I would like to think that in the last few weeks a lot of the issues you mentioned have now been addressed, some may not be exactly where we would like them to be just yet but we are getting there.

I do hope you will give us another try one day soon, and if you do decide to would you please contact me on sirdouglashaig@hotmail.com so that i can assure that your visit be a pleasant one and see if we can make up for your bad experience previous

Regards

David Friskey
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

As a small group of people interested in watercolour painting, we like to try the local hostelries
for our Christmas luncheon. Following a disaster at the Windsor Castle where the food was inedible we thought we would give the Douglas Haig a try, Our experience was a good one, which was fortunate for me having organised the event. We proposed to commence at 1.00pm ish and on the dot our starters arrived on the wonderfully prepared table by smiling and courteous staff.
Our event continue like this throughout and thanks to Sarah our hostess we were able to enjoy a trouble free Christmas luncheon, generally without any even minor problems,
The food was first class, the ambience amazing and our enjoyment level over the roof.

Thank you Sarah again you and your staff made our day.
We will be back next year, barring a disaster.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sir Douglas Haig? Share your experiences!