“Very disappointing. Will never go back.” 1 of 5 stars

Sir Douglas Haig
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 The Street | Effingham, Leatherhead KT24 5LU, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Leatherhead B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing. Will never go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I booked my room via the website which clearly advertised bed & breakfast. When I arrived the owner sheepishly mentioned "Room only, sir" whilst I was checking in. After going through the but-I-booked-via-your-website discussion. I realised it was going to have room only - no breakfast (the website was run by an affliate and for some reason I had to pay for their marketing spend?!?). The room was clean enough but I had a wasp nest outside the window which forced me to keep it closed as it was impossible to change rooms as hotel fully booked. Other little items like the remote for the TV not working were slightly irritating and added to a disappointing stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Staff friendly and rooms ok. Shower wad a dribble and whole bathroom needed updating tho. Major downer was radiator in room not working, couldn't be fixed so moved to another room, rad not working there too!!! Very apologetic and offered mini electric heater. It wasn't really good overall especially at £85 twin it was little too expensive. I've stayed at far better for much less money.

• Stayed March 2011
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Despite other previous mixed reviews, I stayed here for 1 night for work. Yes, it's a pub with B&B rooms upstairs. Yes, they are older rooms, painted etc, but tidy enough. They do now have flat screens & wi-fi. Breakfast was on time, quickly served and very nice indeed. Overall, it looks like most of the moans in previous reviews have been addressed sow ould recommend...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Herefordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed at this inn for the War and Peace show.
Arrived late on a Friday to book in to find only 1 member of staff trying to run a poker night, the bar and the hotel. We just sort of hung around by the till until he found time to sort us out.
First shock was that I had booked room only on laterooms....my own stupid fault really but it should act as a warning to those of you that use this service to find the cheapest aommodation. Never mind we say, we'll have bed and breakfast which added another 10 gbp per head to our bill.
couldn't fault the room size, cleanliness or comfort and we had a comfortable nights sleep.
Saturday comes and we were down a few minutes early for our 20 pounds worth of breakfast. The breakfast room is still locked. We can hear one person pottering around in the kitchen. another 10 minutes before the door is unlocked. Now, for 10 pounds I'm expecting something pretty special breakfast wise certainly considerable choice and at least free coffeee refills. Neither were forthcoming and service was as equally slow as it had been the noight before. So ten pounds for 1 sausage, 1 bacon rasher, 1 egg, toast and 1 cup of coffee, 1 bowl of cereal from a choice of three and a wait of around 1 hour.
Definitely not good value for money.
We paid and left (again taking an age) and went about two miles into Great Bookham to find a cash point and saw a couple of lovely little deli/cafes offering far more enticing and cheaper options.
If they had got the service and breakfasts right I would be raving about the place becuuse the accomodation is fine. As it is, I felt that listing a room only price to get to the top of search lists and then stinging us for a poorly served and limited breakfast was not on, hence my poor review.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights as we were attending a funeral in the area.

We had spent a very hectic weekend with our grandchildren and the location of Sir Douglas Haig looked very inviting on arrival, as was the welcome by the landlady and her father. Her mother cooked us breakfasts with a choice of juice, cereals and bacon etc.
This is a small but friendly pub with rooms. The new owner (18 months ago) is obviously working very hard to make this a comfortable and friendly place to stay.
We were grateful that we were able to come and go as we pleased and to come back in
the evening to good pub grub. As the funeral was after midday there was no pressure on us to check out, and we enjoyed a restful morning reading the newspapers (provided) and enjoying the roaring log fire and coffee. We shall certainly visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Slightly off the beaten track but well worth a visit. Enjoyed the excellant food and the staff were all very welcoming and accomodating. We had a lovely room and found it so close to places we wanted to visit without being in a busy town. Wisley is so close which we enjoyed so much and we loved Guildford. Nothing was too much trouble for everyone. The room was spotless and the towels so soft.
We ate there on Saturday and for the famous Sunday roast although we were delighted to see that the menu changes every day. I do believe they have 'theme nights' with spice nights and a forthcoming Greek night with entertainment and superb food to match. WE shall be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed with my partner at the Sir Douglas Haig last weekend (01/08/09) and would highly recommend it. We were attending a wedding down the road at the Preston Cross Hotel and booked at the Sir Douglas Haig at their suggestion(as they were full). The room we had was lovely and clean, big comfortable sleigh bed, LCD TV, tea and coffee making facilities and sparkling bathroom. The staff at the Sir Douglas Haig were, in a word, wonderful. We were running late for the wedding and literally ran in the inn to change and get to the service on time. I had phoned them 10 minutes before to explain and ask them to make the check in quick and the guy could not have been more helpful- keys waiting for me and offered help with my bags etc. Breakfast in the morning was delicious – well cooked and proper farmhouse sausage. I’d like to respond to the last review as I think it was a bit unfair – it’s hardly the Sir Douglas Haig’s fault if a couple of guests were a bit noisy when they came in and I thought it was a big bonus that there is no problem gaining access to your room late at night. I’m not suggesting that I would go for a week to Effingham but this is the perfect place for a night or two. If you are the sort of person that wants to stay in a bland beige box then the Premiere Inn is probably right for you but if, like me, you prefer an inn with character and genuinely lovely staff (not just the barman I previously mentioned but also the lady when I phoned before the stay with a few queries and the breakfast chef) then stay at the Sir Doulas Haig.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sir Douglas Haig? Share your experiences!