“Short Break” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaufort Road, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2TQ, England   |
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Short Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been a regular for a number of years and am always pleased with the standard and quality in the hotel - always friendly and welcoming - the staff work hard to make you feel at home. The location was the main reason for coming here in the first place but I have enjoyed all my visits so that has become a secondary consideration.

Room Tip: I think it can be a bit noisy at weekends and during the holiday period if you are over the ballroom...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

For the second year running my Fiancé and I stayed over the Christmas period. This time a total of 9 nights. (About the same length in 2012). We booked early as to ensure that we would get a room as we were visiting our family. Just before we left Sweden to go my Fiancé saw on their website that they had a deal for complementary breakfast when you booked a weekend stay so upon arrival we inquired (as we were a) staying over two weekends and b) for rather a long period of 9 nights) if we would be entitled to a couple of complementary breakfasts. The receptionist said that we would have to contact the booking service and that she couldn't do anything for us. So we called the booking service. They were most unhelpful and pretty much said that if we had made two separate bookings ie checked in, checked out and the checked in again that it would have been possible to receive a comped breakfast. The reason I write this is because it pretty much sums up this hotel in the way you as a guest are treated. There is no reward at all for loyalty and there is no willing to go that little extra mile for the guests. Another experience that illustrates this is when the bar was very busy due to a function we went to the reception to ask for two wine glasses. We were immediately referred back to the bar and had to point out that the staff there had their hands full. And it turns out that the reception did have wine glasses after all. It's these little things that matter in my opinion. That you feel valued when you are a return guest and when you, after all, spend a great deal of money to stay.
A big gold star to the cleaning staff however! The room was beautifully made up every day, no matter how late in the day we left it to go out. Also our room had a balcony which was very nice; to be able to get some fresh air without having to go down to ground level.
We will however, not be returning to this hotel again and will instead explore other hotels in the area for next years Christmas trip. #room 203.

Room Tip: If you want to instant access to fresh air or a smoker: ask for a balcony/patio room at the annex.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Stephanie_stockholm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, as your feedback is extremely valued.

I am pleased to learn that you found the housekeeping team to be efficient, and that you enjoyed having a private balcony.

Please accept my apologies, that on the two occasions you made requests to members of the team, you did not receive our normally high level of customer care, and this has been addressed with the departments concerned.

Our Weekend Breaks include breakfast, and these are payable at time of booking and
non-refundable. I am sorry that this information was not correctly conveyed, when you made enquiries with the reservations team, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I would like to assure you that the loyalty of all our guests is greatly appreciated, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me, if you would like to return in 2014, so that I can personally look after your reservation.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a very average-ish hotel. The room I had was very small. The bathroom was fine but everything felt rather dated and the bathroom also had a strange smell. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful; those serving in the restaurant less so. I suppose it was generally okay but there's not much I can think of that would make me recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear nph32,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all feedback whether positive or negative is greatly valued, as it helps us strive to achieve the best service levels possible.

I am pleased that you found the reception team professional, but am sorry this was not the case with another department, which has been discussed with the Restaurant Manager.

I am sorry that the room allocated did not meet your expectations, but would like to confirm that had you brought this to the attention of the Duty Manager, an immediate room move would have been arranged.

I hope very much that you will choose to return on a future occasion, so that your faith in the hotel can be restored, and as such, please do not hesitate to contact me, so that I can look after your next reservation.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here for New years eve with 2 friends. We booked a twin room and asked for an extra 'z' bed. We ended up getting 2 singles and a double bed, so that was a nice surprise. The room was clean and big, im guessing we got a family room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Our room was clean and big with excellent heating. The bed was clean and comfortable and we had a flat screen tv. The bathroom was clean with a shower over the bath. For such a big room the standard bed, chair and desk looked a bit lost so a few more pictures on the wall or an extra chair would be a good idea. The only problem was the cleaners trying to get in twice while we were sleeping and twice coming into the room when I was in the bathroom even though the do not disturb was on the door so make sure you always use the extra lock for safety and security. Our fire exit was a bit tricky to get to and onto the roof so we decided the safest route was out of our window onto the roof as there was only a minimal drop to it. So check first if you aren't too agile or fast.

• Stayed December 2013
truro Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

A very enjoyable break at the Hotel Antoinette in November. We were able to access the town by walking and we were very grateful to have our car safely parked in the Hotel grounds. Our daughter is at Kingston hill uni, so ideal base to stay..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Starting of in the garden building I was faced with a stiflingly hot room, a bathroom from the 80s complete with chips, brown plug holes, thick limescale and two visibly different types of mould. There was only lukewarm water and the shower being so limescale clogged gave a couple of decent streams all in different directions. With electrical issues meaning a phone takes 6 hours to fully charge and flickering lights not to memtion the delightful woodchip ceiling it's quite something. Staff were as helpful as possible supplying an extra duvet to pad the mattress as the springs stuck out.
Unfortunately due to a light fitting not working that couldn't be fixed due to dodgey electrics, I was moved to the main building for the thrid night of my 5 night stay. The room was much cleaner, a better temperature and the bathroom was much more modern. I was happy until I was woken at 5am this morning (day 4) by a loud humming which clicked on and off every 30 seconds or so. Before long it became apparent that this new room was above the kitchen and as staff used food processors and sang loudly (and badly) I was kept awake. A call to reception and they said they would look into it. No response. 7am breakfast is now served and all related noises have ceased although I now have to get up anyway. Let's just hope the shower is a little better.
Oh and if the guy next door could blow his nose a little more quietly I woild appreciate it!

• Stayed November 2013
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear josreview,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

As your original room has only just been re-furbished, I was dissapointed to read your comments regarding the standard of housekeeping, especially as the mattress is brand new, and a recent questionnaire rated the cleanliness of this room as excellent. I have spoken to the maintenance team regarding the issue with the electrical supply, and it appears that this may have been as a result of the key card not being fully inserted. Please be assured that had you raised these issues with a member of our team on your first night, an immediate room move would have been arranged.

I am pleased that you found the second room to your liking, but am sorry that you experienced noise disturbance. I have investigated the source of the humming, which I can confirm was not from the kitchen, but from a faulty electrical bathroom fan, and this has now been rectified.

I hope very much that you will choose to stay with us on a future occasion, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me personally, so that I can ensure that you are allocated one of our Superior Rooms.

Been to Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames? Share your experiences!