“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaufort Road, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2TQ, England   |
Axminster, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here as we were attending a family wedding, we booked a superior double room and were very excited about staying here as the on website the hotel looked lovely.
On entering our room we were overwhelmed by the smell of drains, not a good start, the room was shabby and very small.
As we were due at the wedding within the hour, my partner went to reception and complained, a member of staff came to our room and naturally agreed it smelt revolting, he got the duty manager who in turn offered us another room.
We took that room which was just as small but at least didn't smell.
As a couple on a tight budget that normally use "big chain" budget hotels we were very disappointed and sadly would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Marlow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was booked in to stay by my company for one night under the proviso that after an end of year celebration in Kingston, any place would do. I'm not sure how much alcohol actually needed to be consumed to make this statement true, as the event didn't finish until 3:30am and I did my best, but sadly the Antoinette failed to make the grade. The room was big, with a double and single bed. The linen was clean, as was the bathroom, however all the furniture, fixtures and fittings desperately need up dating. The hallway leading to the bedrooms was really grim and smelt of cooking. The walls were paper thin and I actually thought that my neighbours were in my bathroom in the morning having a chat and the water was bubbling away in my bathroom sink! Not a place I will be returning to again in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear KLMiles

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed aspects of your bedroom and your comments in regards to the Antoinette offering excellent value for money.

We strive to offer unrivalled value for money in the area and we are also 100% commitment to offering the best service levels at all times.

I was disappointed to learn that your felt that some parts of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that had you brought this to the attention of a member of the Reception team, an immediate room move would have been arranged.

I hope very much that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I can look after your reservation.
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having made this booking at the last minute as we needed to be near to our daughter who was in Kingston hospital having her first baby we were delighted with all aspects of the Antoinette hotel. The room was lovely and in a quiet location at the rear of the hotel located through a very pretty garden area. We enjoyed a lovely full english breakfast and the lunchtime snacks and evening bar meals were superb. All the staff were extremely polite and very helpful especially with directions to the hospital and town centre!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was recommended this hotel as somewhere to stay in order to attend a friends party in Surbiton. I booked a superior double for me and my partner.

The room was huge, 2 single beds and 1 double just for the two of us. However unfortunately there as nothing superior about the furnishings or the tiny dirty and mouldy bathroom. My partner and I both refused to shower there and left the hotel as early as we could the next day to go home. I did leave the comments card to this effect in the hope that this was rectified before anyone else had to stay to that room.

My final message, not just to this hotel but this was an example of it, is that much as Weddings are hugely important and by the other reviews you do them very well, unless they have booked the whole hotel please remember that you have other customers who have paid good money to stay and also deserve good service. The Receptionist was polite but was clearly preoccupied with the wedding guests milling around reception.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear JenP2011,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all feedback is greatly valued.

I am pleased that you found your room spacious, but am dissapointed to learn that on this occasion it appears that the room was not serviced to our normally high standard, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please be assured that had this been discussed with a member of our team, then an immediate room move would have been arranged.

Providing all our guests with a professional level of customer care is extremely important, and I am sorry that during an extemely busy check-in on this particular Saturday, you felt that this was not delivered.

I hope very much that you will choose to stay with us on a future occasion, so that you can see that what you experienced was very much an exception and not the norm.
Wisbech, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to the antoinette for our friends wedding. We decided that we would make a short break of it and stayed for four nights.we had a room with a balcony overlooking their excellent gardens. The room we had we could not fault. The bathroom had a bath with shower it was clean and there was constant hot water. Two double beds very comfortable and clean with extra pillow if needed.the maids keep the rooms in pristine condition fresh towels every day. All the staff we found to be very friendly polite and very helpful nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Should we return to Kingston we will definitely book with the Antoinette Hotel

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are large and sunny
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bogota, Colombia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for five nights. Way too long but then I had no time to change or look for something else. I suppose it all comes down to the room you book. I booked a single room and it was tiny. It was like a small corridor were really only one person could walk in. Tiny shower, tiny uncomfortable bed, hardly any space for personal affairs. Wifi is supposed to work everywhere but not in the room I was staying in so I had to stand by the door or in the corridor to check my mail or speak with my family. And on top of it all, paper thin walls so I could here everything around me. The room was really nothing like the pictures. Besides this was a very cold spring, and the first night they had not turned the heat back on so it was really cold. Fortunately they turned it on on the next nights.
Housekeeping personnel don't seem to speak English which is not very helpful. People at the reception were nice and food at the bar is fine. Breakfast not that much but a full English breakfast is a possibility in the buffet. The hotel has an old look and feel to it even if renovation works were going on.
However a colleague stayed in a superior room, and told me there was plenty of space and the room was very comfortable. So I suppose it all comes down to the room you book. I just never thought a single room meant hardly any breathing space.

• Stayed May 2013
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear JimBta,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all feeback is greatly valued, as it helps us strive to achieve the best service levels possible.

I am pleased to learn that you found the Reception team helpful, and enjoyed the dishes served in the Bar.

Our single rooms represent great value for money, and as such are extremely popular. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with the room allocated, and would like to assure you that had you brought this to the attention of a member of the team, then an immediate room move would have been arranged.

Wi-fi throughout the hotel is complimentary, and I am sorry that during your stay you experienced issues with the signal strength, which I can confirm has now been rectified.

I hope very much that you will choose to stay with us on a future occasion, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me personally so that I can book you one of the larger Superior Rooms enjoyed by your colleage.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for my dads wedding, the events team were great very organised and helpful. The room on the other hand was not so great. We upgraded to a superior room which was far from superior it had 2 double beds for some strange reason. The room itself smelt funny, the pillows flat as a pancake and the beds like a piece of wood. The bathroom had a shower only in it and was dirty. We stayed on the ground floor in the very back of the building it was not a pleasant couple of nights. The noise from above was very loud i am not sure what was above us but it was constant noise and banging, being woke up on a sunday at 7am was not great! The breakfast was fine but very poorly presented , the "90 items" breakfast was not 90 items unless you count each item in the fruit salad seperately! After breakfast on the sunday we went back to the room to pack and shower. We were disturbed by a maid coming in without knocking who obviously wanted to clean the room even though we were 2 hours from check out! Basic hotel and I think if there was better competition they would have to spend some money decorating the hotel rooms which look like they are still in the 70's. Like to reiterate that the wedding was lovely , the staff that helped out on the wedding were great the poor guy on our bar definitley needed help though and the rest of the team were great. This hotel needs money putting into it to bring it back to current.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Hayeleyandrob_11,

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of your Father's Wedding, and found the staff to be professional and well organised.

I was dissapointed to learn that your room did not meet your expectations, and that on this occasion it appears that our normally high level of housekeeping was not delivered. Please be assured that had you brought this to the attention of a member of the Reception team, an immediate room move would have been arranged.

Been to Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames? Share your experiences!