“Conveniently situated.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The White Hart Hotel

You added The White Hart Hotel to your Saves list
The White Hart Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 High Street | Hampton Wick, Kingston upon Thames KT1 4DA, England   |
Special Offer
Trip Advisor - 10% off
Devon, United Kingdom
“Conveniently situated.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here recently, when we were visiting the Hampton Court Flower Show.
There is secure parking at the rear of the hotel. We were within 20 mins. walking distance of Hampton Court.
The room was beautiful, with a four poster bed and large separate seating area. It was nicely furnished, immaculately clean and air conditioned. There were 2 televisions, one in the seating area and another in the bedroom. There was a free mini bar, with beer, water and fruit juice.
The bathroom had both a bath and separate large walk in shower. There was a large walk-in wardrobe, bath robes and slippers.
Everything appeared to be perfect, until we wanted an evening meal. We consulted the menu in the room and made our choice, went down and and found a table outside on the terrace. My husband went in to order a bottle of wine. The one we had chosen was sold out.
When it came to ordering the food, no-one had told us there was only a Sunday menu.What we had chosen was not on the menu.
We made further choices from the limited menu, only to be told that what I chosen had sold out.
I chose again, tiger prawns in sweet chilli sauce. it was on the Sunday menu as a starter, but according to the menu in the room, this was served as either a starter or as a main course; I asked for it as a main course......no, you can't have it as a main course on a Sunday!!! I really couldn't see why not, if they can do it as a starter, why not as a main course??
I ordered again, half a lobster and smoked salmon, which came with bread and butter...the bread supplied by an 'artisan London baker' .... according to the menu. I was given 2 slices of stale bread from a sliced loaf, which could only have come from the local supermarket. I assume they had sold our of the artisan bread too!! I had to go in search of claw crackers for the lobster as none were given to me.
We have had a very busy weekend. Yes I can appreciate that. The weather was great, so people were out and about, it was the Hampton Court Flower Show and there was a regatta on the river, but surely a professionally run establishment should have anticipated that they would probably be busy, in view of all that was going on nearby and stocked up accordingly.

Having said all that, I cannot fault the rooms or the staff. Maybe we just caught them on a bad day. I would stay there again.

Please put a Sunday menu in the rooms as well as the daily menu. This will save confusion and upset.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer, thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad to note that you found the room to be beautiful and ideally situated for your visit to the Hampton Court Flower Show. However I am disspointed to hear your restaurant experience was not as smooth as should have been. We write a "special" Sunday menu each week offering different dishes from Sunday to Sunday with the classic "Roast" always available, for this reason it is not really possible to place these in each room. However you may be interested to know we have since made the decision to fix our Sunday menu keeping the core dishes the same week to week and run specials alongside these. Therefore we should soon be able to place these options into the bedrooms and I hope convey the times and menu availbility clearer to the guests.

Thank you for this advice, I am delighted to hear you would stay with us again and I look forward to showing you these new arrangements in the future.

Chris Kerr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

On arrival at the hotel we found that there was a fairly large secure car park at the rear with plenty of CCTV coverage and a barrier which required a code to exit. Parking was free.
When we checked in we were welcomed by a young lady called Kika who was amongst one of the most helpful receptionist's that we have ever come across, nothing seemed too much trouble. She explained everything about the hotel, meal times, how to get into town, where to visit and even gave us the Turks boat timetable which travels to Hampton Court or Richmond.
We were even lucky enough to get a "free" upgrade to one of the Suites, we were appointed the Anne Boleyn Suite. The accommodation was very sumptuous for what we paid. The décor was outstanding and we could see that a lot of thought had gone into the furnishings. There was a separate shower in the bathroom to the bath. The room had adequate space if you were staying longer than one night. Although it was very hot, we found the air conditioning coped very well and kept us cool whilst in the room.
The hotel restaurant/bar had plenty of choice of food, wine and beer. We had the continental breakfast in the morning, this had plenty to choose from to suit all tastes.
We decided to have our evening meal in the restaurant, this was served promptly and was good value for money.
The hotel location is absolutely ideal as you are a 2 minute walk over the bridge to the centre of Kingston or for the boat trips which embark behind John Lewis.
We decided on our departure day to walk along the "Barge Walk" which was fine to start with as you are under the shade of the trees, but exit to full sunshine, so beware, if you would like a more shaded walk the other side of the river is better and has a couple of cafes too.
We ventured out in the evening and found lots of lovely bars along the other side of the river, (townside). My favourite being "Browns", very easy walking distance and plenty of places to eat if you do not want to use the hotel facilities.
One word of warning: we are not local to the area and as we were navigating our way through the one-way traffic system we inadvertently entered the bus lane trying to get to Kingston Bridge. Unfortunately 7 days later we received a £65 fine where our car had been photographed in the bus lane.We don't remember seeing any bus lane warning signs so it may be prudent to plan your trip through Kingston carefully in advance or keep an eagle eye out for signs.

Room Tip: If this is within your budget we definitely recommend one of named Suites.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
"Lovely Stay" ... Lovely review, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to review all aspects of your stay here at the hotel. I love the fact you enjoyed your stay and found our staff member Kika to be extremely helpful, I hope your words assist others when looking to stay in the Kingston area, especially the advice regarding the bus lanes.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Encouraged by the comments we read on Trip Adviser, we booked one night at The White Hart as we were visiting the nearby Hampton Court Flower Show. We had one executive double and one family room. Both were clean and comfortable with extras such as kettle, ironing board, nice toiletries, mini bar etc. Our rooms overlooked the car park which, whilst not making for a picturesque view, meant that the rooms were quiet. We had a sofa bed and a cot in our family room which made it rather cramped - one night was fine but I wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer as there was little space to put anything.

The location was excellent, just across the bridge from Kingston with lots of shops and restaurants, and an easy ferry ride to the Flower Show. The staff were fantastic and really worth commending. From arrival they were helpful, polite and friendly and continued to be throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble.

Although there are lots of places to eat nearby, we decided to eat at the hotel as we have a young child and it was easy. The food was really delicious although portions were much too large for us! Breakfast was also good with the usual cereal, toast, fruit plus a good range of cooked options.

Overall we couldn't have asked for more from our short stay - a really enjoyable night and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the car park - rooms at the front overlook the roundabout and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Emma W, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were encouraged to stay with us based on tripadvisor reviews and I am equally pleased that you found your experience to be a relfection of this. It is nice to hear that you decided to take the river transport option when travelling from us to the RHS flower show, in my opinion there is no better way to get to the palace on a sunny day.

Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I were looking for somewhere close to Hampton Court to stay after attending the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show preview evening. With just a 15 minute walk to the entrance it was an ideal choice.

Arriving at about 4 p.m. we were dismayed to see the car park full but a very friendly member of staff was able, with some juggling, to find a space for us. Check in was prompt, efficient and friendly as were all the staff. Our room at the back was quiet and equipped with more than enough little extras for our one night stay, ironing board, trouser press, hair dryer you name it. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept very well.

We did not dine in but breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and with hot dishes cooked to order, none of this hanging around keeping warm that you find in so many establishments. My Eggs Benedict was perfectly cooked. The fruit selection was more the kind of thing one is presented with in the Far East with water melon, pineapple etc.

I doubt if you can find a better place to stay in West London than the White Hart, though I think you would be advised to ask for a room at side or the back of the hotel not at the front overlooking the notorious round-a-bout!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or the side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
"No better place to stay" This is a lovely title for a lovely review. Thank you for taking the time to praise both the establishment and the staff. I am glad to hear that you found the breakfast to be excellent and with plenty of choice, I agree with you that the cooked breakfasts delivered fresh from the kichen is a far better solution than a warm breakfast buffet.

Northern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of a seven week trip to Europe. I was concerned about the reviews,that implied that it was just a pub with rooms. We thought our room was comfortable and charming. Concerned about potential noise as our room faced the pub courtyard, but quiet prevailed at a decent hour. Nice dinner in the pub. Convenient to Hampton Court.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing your stay, I am glad to hear that you found our hotel convinient for Hampton Court. I am also delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations of a pub with rooms and proved to be a comfortable hotel for your stay.

With warm regards
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have never given a "Terrible" review before, but feel I have to for this one.
Some very crafty camera work on the hotel's website failed to depict the fact that it sits right on one of the busiest roundabouts in Greater London.
My partner does not sleep well and there was no way that we could take the room that we booked as it fronted onto said roundabout.
Also, it is the "Superior" rooms that sit at front and have this problem.
The staff were reasonable about changing to a room at the back; sadly, the new room was very much Alan Partridge Travel Tavern Norwich standard.

Staff are a bit brusque and you feel like they are doing you a favour by letting you stay there.
One barmaid seemed to spend whole time having bawdy conversations with seedy locals.

If you need to stay in Kingston, it would be better to cross bridge (to Kingston itself) and find somewhere better.

Room Tip: Not at the front! Not at the back! Don't go there!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WHHOTELMANAGER, General Manager at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear reviewer, I make a point to respond to all of our Tripadvisor reviews and so I was disappointed to see your experience was so poor. I’d firstly like to apologise that you feel we’ve disguised our location at the foot of Kingston bridge, however this is not our intention. We have a map and 360 view option available on our website so while the photos aren’t shot from a distance as to see the roundabout, our actual location is easy to see. It is a shame also to hear that you believed you would not get a good night sleep in the rooms situated at the front of the hotel, we do have secondary glazing within these rooms in order to mute as much of the road noise as possible. We do not recall ever having a complaint about the road noise before, but will monitor this closely in future.

Nevertheless it is good to hear that the team assisted you in a room swap on a night that was fully occupied, it is my understanding that the receptionist accompanied you to the room to view this before confirming the swap.

Ultimately I am disappointed that you found the experience here unsatisfying, to which I must apologise. You have mentioned that you will not be returning, however, should you wish to stay in Kingston in the future please contact me directly as I would like to be able to restore your faith in the White Hart Hotel.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked for an overnight stay at the White Hart in Hampton Wick, as we were going to a concert at Hampton Court. It was a special birthday present for my partner and we wanted a hotel that was near to Hampton Court. I cannot tell you how surprised we were from the outside of the hotel, to the inside, to the room, to the pub, to the restaurant and the staff!!

We were upgraded, re my partners special birthday to the Catherine Howard Room. Lovely 4 poster bed, lovely sofa and immaculate bathroom - what more could you want.

We decided to have lunch at the hotel, as it looked really nice. We went for the "lighter lunch menu", both meals were really good, could not fault it at all, plus washed down with a nice bottle of house white.

We then went exploring, the hotel is direct in the heart of Hampton Wick, you literally have to cross the road and walk over the bridge and you are then in Kingston - with all the shops/cafes etc.

The hotel is also great for Hampton Court Palace, a 20 minute walk along the river!!

I would highly recommend this hotel, after staying very often in hotels, this is really a little gem! The staff were so helpful, the food was great and the room was fab. Only thing was room was a little too warm, but you can't have it all.

We will visit again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I love this title, "A gem to stay in" . It is great to hear that your partners birthday was recognised and an upgrade applied for you. It appears as though you enjoyed all aspects of the stay from the room to the food and drink along with the helpful staff you encountered. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Chris Kerr

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!