“judy l” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
Hotels.com Agoda.com
Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   94 Kingston Hill, Kingston upon Thames KT2 7NP, England   |
North Walsham
“judy l”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were welcomed by friendly and helpful staff, and really have no problems about our one night stay.
The room was clean, well decorated and quiet. The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was good.
The dog enjoyed the stay too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Devizes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the minute we stepped in to the hotel we felt important. Warm building (very cold day) and an even warmer welcome. Nothing was too much trouble.
Pleasant room with all the usual amenities. Excellent food served on hot plates in the airy restaurant.
Definitely on our 'to be visited again' list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your very kind review
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel & I was pleased with the standard again.
The room I had was clean & tidy with excellent amenities such as a fridge which most other hotels lack, there was also a complementary bottle of water.
The bathroom was clean but some of the paintwork was peeling, it didn't stop me enjoying the hot shower though! Plenty of towels provided as well as the necessary toiletries.
I joined a friend for dinner & the meal did not disappoint. The lamb shank was lovely, the meat fell off the bone. My friend enjoyed her duck dish immensely. It was nice to be able to try something different.
As usual the staff were attentive especially the lovely Manager who always makes sure her guests are well catered for & nothing is too much trouble. I had asked for a morning paper but had just missed the delivery to my door so the receptionist gave me his!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New Malden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Kingston Lodge Hotel is ideally situated for enjoying Kingston Town centre which is a mile away and is very close to Richmond Park.

My wife and I stayed for one night on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast basis. On arrival we found that the bed in the room we had been assigned was very small, perhaps only 4ft wide. So we phoned reception to ask if there was an alternative we were bowled over to be offered a suite at no extra cost!

The suite isn't the plushest we have ever stayed out but had everything you could wish for and the bed was bigger, but only 4.6ft at a guess.

The only problem with the room and our whole experience was the noise from the busy road outside. It really was extremely noisy as the Hotel is next to one of the main routes into Kingston. I think the major problem is the lack of triple glazing as the double glazing just didn't dampen the sound from outside.

However, this was the only problem as the staff have to be the nicest and most friendly we have encountered at a hotel. The young receptionist, barman and restuarant manager are all delightful and clearly enjoy their jobs which is a credit to them and the management at the hotel.

We ate dinner there and whilst the food is all rather basic hotel fayre, it is good quality and represents great value and the cost of wine is also acceptable. The cheese board is particularly good.

The buffet breakfast was a joy as well and for once the scrambled egg wasn't all watery so capped off a nice stay.

My recommendation is to obtain a room away from the road and also take a quick walk down the road to the Albert Pub for a couple of pints.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked the Kingston Lodge Hotel through a club I belong to .

As I live in North London I travelled to have a look before booking .
There was a birthday party in progress which looked very jolly .
Although I was visiting with a view to booking , I was charged about £2:50
for a quick coffee which seemed a bit mean .
A pleasant lady showed me a couple of rooms and the 1st floor rooms with door , balcony , window box overlooking the garden looked very nice .
I was told I could request one of these rooms within the club allocation .

Anyway I booked the Xmas break and requested the above type of room .
I also phoned a week before speaking to Matt who said the rooms were not yet allocated & he assured me he would make a note of my request .
At no time was there any mention of a supplement for this type of room ,
which I appreciate is the norm with many hotels .

On Christmas eve I arrived a bit stressed after managing to get lost in the dark .
There was no porter available to assist with my bags , so I lugged them to the room as I wanted to change and relax before dinner .
Before I went into my room ( 207 ) the co-ordinator for the weekend saw me at the door and said I had got my request for a garden view room .
I looked at the room which seemed fine and I went out to the balcony .
This was a shock the room actually overlooked the roof , facing a block of flats with noise from the facing road .
Instead of a wooden barrier and window box , there was a concrete barrier all the way around .
It was the scag end of the row of rooms & a periscope would be needed to see the garden .
I was shocked and disappointed and went to reception .
Mairead the General Manager ( rather an imposing and formidable individual )
was at reception .
I explained the situation to her and she kept repeating that the hotel classifies
the room as having a garden view .
I invited her to see the view but she declined .
It was rather like talking to a brick wall .
Certainly not a good start to a relaxing Christmas break .
I felt like going home ( where I do possess a garden view) .

Eventually the co-ordinator for the break suggested I swop with her .
They had arrived the night before and had really settled in .
I felt quite guilty about this but as I was so fed up at this point ,
I moved rooms after a rather rushed clean up before dinner .

Other than the fiasco above , my review of the hotel follows :

My chambermaid pleasant & helpful ( working on Christmas day )
The tall Russian waiter also pleasant and helpful ( most staff did not wear name badges ).
The waitresses & waiters generally good .
The bar staff never seemed to be behind the bar , not hunt the thimble
but hunt the barman ( they did all seem to be male ) .
The London Pride was of poor quality but the lager was O.K.

However the waitresses on the last night appeared to be extras from Twilight ;
one waitress opened the garden door for her friends to go out
( no doubt to commune with fellow vampires ) .
She took great umbridge when I wanted to close the door to prevent the draft .

The easy chairs around the hotel were very old and you would go to sit down expecting a soft landing but unfortunately you would hit wood
because the cushioning was non existent .
The furniture in the room and around the hotel was dark and old with scratches .

The management should really invest in new bright furniture .

I found the food over Christmas was generally rather poor quality :

Although I quite liked the turkey , once I managed to get rid of the first one
with vegetables etc swimming in gravy .
Although Xmas pudding luke warm with hard edges probably the end of tray piece .
Xmas eve fish cakes & chips rather poor and stodgey – they could have stretched to real fish and chips considering the cost of the break .
The buffet Christmas day evening , consisted of cheap greasy stodgey food :
sausage rolls and greasy piazza ( I did not realise that piazza could be that greasy ).
I picked up a sandwich which seemed to just have cranberry sauce in it .

Some salad and fruit would have been welcome .

The Teriyaki salmon on boxing day was dried out with minimal dried out veg.
It certainly bore no resemblance to the delicious version on Saturday Kitchen
this morning .

Instead of the buffet I would have preferred an individually hot cooked breakfast
with for e.g. a couple of fried eggs ; instead of fishing through a mountain of fatty pieces of bacon , scrambled eggs & luke warm tomatoes .
Although I did like that you could actually make yourself hot toast .

The crackers were the cheapest I have ever seen with repeated jokes & tiny plastic contents ; certainly no little games to play with .

The profit mark up on the Christmas break must have been very high .

Obviously I will not be returning to Kingston Lodge with the imposing and formidable Mairead and Twilight extras .

Room Tip: Avoid 207 The genuine garden view rooms with balcony are preferable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Margaret
Many thanks for your review
I am sorry your did not enjoy your Christmas break , It is such a shame as so many others with in your group did.
In fact we recieved a call for the organiser of your group , telling us how much the group enjoyed their stay.
Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel combining a business trip with a weekend in London. It is easily accessible by car and the parking is free. The hotel was very quiet whilst we were there but the bed breakfast and evening meal deal was excellent value for money. The nearest train station norbiton-approximately a 10 minutes walk from the hotel and it only takes about 20 minutes to arrive in waterloo. if you want to visit London but be in a peaceful setting this is a good location. Richmond park/nature reserve is on the doorstep an easy walk from the hotel just as good for celebrity spotting as well as the wildlife.There are several golf courses nearby - 1 adjacent to the hotel.
The bar and lounge area are small but very cosy with open fire and nicely decorated. Staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to accomodate any requests. Breakfast is good with a breakfast to go facility if you are in a rush, the rooms are well deorated and spacious with small balconies and away from the road so lovely and quiet. Dinner is average but we were allowed to choose from the bar menu in addition to our meal package menu. The corridors could do with a repaint but overall we had a lovely relaxing stay and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights on a dinner bed and breakfast package whilst on a work trip. The staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel building is uninspiring but clean and the room I was staying in was a good size with good facilities. The only thing I didn't like was the evening food; the menu sounds appetising but the chef lacks skill and understanding of ingredients and flavours. Eating the evening meals was like a chore and I could have done a far better job at cooking the food myself. If you are looking for somewhere comfortable to stay in the area I would recommend staying at this hotel but consider eating elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your review ,I am so sorry you did not enjoy our food , but I was please to read you were please with the staff and the hotel
Please be assured I will discuss your review with our chefs , we are normaly complimented on
the quality of our food .
Mairead and Team

Been to Brook Kingston Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!