“AVOID AT ALL COST - They cancelled our booking and didnt tell us and left us standed!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Raintree B&B

Raintree B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston upon Thames
Save Saved
You added Raintree B&B to your Saves list
162 Portsmouth Road | Thames Ditton, Kingston upon Thames KT7 0XR, England   |
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We recently had the misfortune of booking this B & B and what a mistake that was. We booked 2 weeks in advance via Booking.com as we were in the area for the ruby and knew it would be hard to find a hotel. We rang the day before to confirm that it would be ok to leave the car in the car park early in the morning to head to Twickenham as you cant book in until late afternoon and we knew we wouldnt be back until late. We had a lovely day at the rugby and turned up to check into the hotel, tired and wet at about 8.30 - 9 pm to be told that Booking.com had cancelled our booking. This we knew to be untrue as we had access to our emails and checked there and then and there was no confirmation of this. There was also another couple with the same problem. Unfortunately there were no rooms anywhere in the vicinity. The man on reception was also waiting tables in the restaurant and didnt seem to know what to do. He rang around for about an hour and said he had found us a room in another hotel and booked us a taxi. After paying £12 for the taxi we arrived at the new hotel to be told that she had not spoken to anyone and had no rooms. She rang the raintree and spoke to the man on reception again who gave her the number he had rang. It turned out to be a hotel in Nottingham!!! Not much use when you are in Thames Ditton. I spoke to the man on the phone who told us to get back in the taxi and return to them. He was totally out of his depth. In the end the lovely receptionist at The White Horse in Hampton Wick sorted us out with another hotel. We have since been in touch with Booking.com who inform us that they did not cancel our booking and that the hotel was at fault. We didnt get to bed until past 11 oclock that night and were so stressed that we were unable to sleep. We ended up cutting the break short and going home first thing in the morning. Only given a rating of one because you cannot give a zero!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cazm1

Thank you very much for your feedback about the Raintree Bed and Breakfast on Trip Advisor. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services to surpass the guest expectations.

I have noted your concerns and as the Newly Appointed Manager, I am striving hard to ensure all our guests are delighted by our new service standards.

Please give us another opportunity to serve you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, if I can be of any future assistance.

Shanaka Rajapakse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Exeter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Arrived to be told I hadn't got an en-suite, and had to pay a further £7 for it!
I went to bed quite early as a long journeu to be woken up by a member of staff, banging on all doors shouting"'breakfast!", I heard a couple of guests telling the staff member to go away, I opened the door to find a basket with 2 croissants, an apple, pack of butter and pack of jam - lucky I don't do breakfast.
Room was freezing, even with radiator on.
Would have preferred to sleep in the car - I now understand why they ask for money up front and rood with it as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Paul H,

Travelers are raving about these Kingston upon Thames hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I normally dont like to give bad reviews, but felt strongly I should for this one.

Room: basic, but ok

Restaurant
The food is ok.
Service is TERRIBLE
Staff especially the manager - Unbelievably rude!! I never expected this from an Indian, who I have always found to be polite.

Go to the restaurant only if you want to be abused and humiliated

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear James N

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This "Hotel" is above an Indian restaurant and is filthy and smelly.On arrival we paid our money and were handed the key and left to our own devices.We told an Asian man vacuuming the landing that the room was dirty and the fridge not working. He changed the fridge while we were out but it still didn't work and he made no attempt whatsoever to clean the room.We had to go in search of clean bedding as ours looked like it had been slept in.There is no staff on premises after restaurant closes so we were trapped in room getting no sleep while rowdy yobs spent all night screaming and shouting and trashing the adjoining room. Blood smears all over walls doors and stairs next morning."Continental breakfast" was left in the room on a plate the night before and consisted of 2 croissants a banana and a small carton of juice which was two months out of date.En-suite was modern but filthy. All in all we were made to feel like animals, they make no effort to welcome anyone they just take the money and leave you to it.

Room Tip: don't go anywhere the place it's filthy!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear sue T,

Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed here recently with friends. It was the cheapest option in the area and as we only needed a bed for the night and nothing fancy we booked the Raintree.

The gentleman that greeted us wasn't terribly friendly, but was very accommodating to our needs and showed us to our room and explained that breakfast would be a packed-breakfast left in the room later in the evening - this suited us fine.

The rooms looked ok, but have not been fully finished off. In the two rooms I saw, none of the wardrobe doors would shut and in one of the bathrooms the drawers were full of old door handles. The beds had a dip in the middle, which meant my partner and I slept squashed together. The covers and towels felt a little grubby; they were all a little grey and the bins hadn't been emptied from the last occupants (and when I say bin - I mean giant yoghurt pot). We had to sleep with the windows firmly shut to keep out the noise from the road and the restaurant below, which meant the room was incredibly hot - luckily the owners have put fans in the rooms.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but went down the road to a fantastic pub called Harts Boatyard - this I can highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ourhols,

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Holiday Inn, Kingston upon Thames, was unable to extend my reservation so the Front Office staff recommended the nearby Raintree. I was advised that it was owned by the same person who owned the Holiday Inn property and that it offered a similar standard of accommodation. My high expectations were quickly destroyed when I arrived. The accommodation is basically B&B and comprises a handful of rooms off a gloomy corridor on the first floor of what used to be a small corner pub that is now an Indian restaurant. Its noisy because its located on the main road. The room decor and bathroom looked very DIY and grubby. Breakfast comprises a roll and an item of fruit served on a plate in the room. This hotel is totally overpriced. I had to pay in full in advance and after staying there I can see why. Parking is limited to about 5 vehicles.
I can't believe that the positive reviews in Trip Advisor were impartially written by anyone who actually stayed there.

Room Tip: Dont try. There aren't any.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Robert1129826,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Firstly I didn't stay here, I live locally, but was looking for a takeaway. So did the usual takeaway call, ordered a simple chicken korma. When I arrive I'm presented with a box of orange sauce and 2 eggs, having complained they told me that I said egg curry which I find hard to believe as I don't like egg curry. Once I actually got the right dish it was basically a soup and it certainly wasn't worth 8 pounds. So my advice go elsewhere.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear goldihern,

Shanaka Rajapakse

Been to Raintree B&B? Share your experiences!