“Avoid - I wish I had” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Raintree B&B

Raintree B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston upon Thames
Save Saved
You added Raintree B&B to your Saves list
162 Portsmouth Road | Thames Ditton, Kingston upon Thames KT7 0XR, England   |
Exeter
“Avoid - I wish I had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Arrived to be told I hadn't got an en-suite, and had to pay a further £7 for it!
I went to bed quite early as a long journeu to be woken up by a member of staff, banging on all doors shouting"'breakfast!", I heard a couple of guests telling the staff member to go away, I opened the door to find a basket with 2 croissants, an apple, pack of butter and pack of jam - lucky I don't do breakfast.
Room was freezing, even with radiator on.
Would have preferred to sleep in the car - I now understand why they ask for money up front and rood with it as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Paul H,

Thank you very much for your feedback about the Raintree Bed and Breakfast on Trip Advisor. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services to surpass the guest expectations.

I have noted your concerns and as the Newly Appointed Manager, I am striving hard to ensure all our guests are delighted by our new service standards.

Please give us another opportunity to serve you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, if I can be of any future assistance.

Shanaka Rajapakse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I normally dont like to give bad reviews, but felt strongly I should for this one.

Room: basic, but ok

Restaurant
The food is ok.
Service is TERRIBLE
Staff especially the manager - Unbelievably rude!! I never expected this from an Indian, who I have always found to be polite.

Go to the restaurant only if you want to be abused and humiliated

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear James N

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This "Hotel" is above an Indian restaurant and is filthy and smelly.On arrival we paid our money and were handed the key and left to our own devices.We told an Asian man vacuuming the landing that the room was dirty and the fridge not working. He changed the fridge while we were out but it still didn't work and he made no attempt whatsoever to clean the room.We had to go in search of clean bedding as ours looked like it had been slept in.There is no staff on premises after restaurant closes so we were trapped in room getting no sleep while rowdy yobs spent all night screaming and shouting and trashing the adjoining room. Blood smears all over walls doors and stairs next morning."Continental breakfast" was left in the room on a plate the night before and consisted of 2 croissants a banana and a small carton of juice which was two months out of date.En-suite was modern but filthy. All in all we were made to feel like animals, they make no effort to welcome anyone they just take the money and leave you to it.

Room Tip: don't go anywhere the place it's filthy!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear sue T,

Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed here recently with friends. It was the cheapest option in the area and as we only needed a bed for the night and nothing fancy we booked the Raintree.

The gentleman that greeted us wasn't terribly friendly, but was very accommodating to our needs and showed us to our room and explained that breakfast would be a packed-breakfast left in the room later in the evening - this suited us fine.

The rooms looked ok, but have not been fully finished off. In the two rooms I saw, none of the wardrobe doors would shut and in one of the bathrooms the drawers were full of old door handles. The beds had a dip in the middle, which meant my partner and I slept squashed together. The covers and towels felt a little grubby; they were all a little grey and the bins hadn't been emptied from the last occupants (and when I say bin - I mean giant yoghurt pot). We had to sleep with the windows firmly shut to keep out the noise from the road and the restaurant below, which meant the room was incredibly hot - luckily the owners have put fans in the rooms.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but went down the road to a fantastic pub called Harts Boatyard - this I can highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ourhols,

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Holiday Inn, Kingston upon Thames, was unable to extend my reservation so the Front Office staff recommended the nearby Raintree. I was advised that it was owned by the same person who owned the Holiday Inn property and that it offered a similar standard of accommodation. My high expectations were quickly destroyed when I arrived. The accommodation is basically B&B and comprises a handful of rooms off a gloomy corridor on the first floor of what used to be a small corner pub that is now an Indian restaurant. Its noisy because its located on the main road. The room decor and bathroom looked very DIY and grubby. Breakfast comprises a roll and an item of fruit served on a plate in the room. This hotel is totally overpriced. I had to pay in full in advance and after staying there I can see why. Parking is limited to about 5 vehicles.
I can't believe that the positive reviews in Trip Advisor were impartially written by anyone who actually stayed there.

Room Tip: Dont try. There aren't any.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Robert1129826,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Firstly I didn't stay here, I live locally, but was looking for a takeaway. So did the usual takeaway call, ordered a simple chicken korma. When I arrive I'm presented with a box of orange sauce and 2 eggs, having complained they told me that I said egg curry which I find hard to believe as I don't like egg curry. Once I actually got the right dish it was basically a soup and it certainly wasn't worth 8 pounds. So my advice go elsewhere.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear goldihern,

Ramsbottom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The accomodation entrance is on the side of the building which also doubles as the back door to the kitchens. When we arrived we were given the key and told where to go. Inside the external door boxes of takeaway trays were stacked by the wall, the lobby linked the kitchen to a store room and the carpet was black with trodden in grease and covered in litter, as were the stairs to the rooms. The room was filthy, I wrote my name in the dust on the bedside cabinets and the top of the fridge, I have no doubt it will still be there. Breakfast was supposed to be off site at the holiday in as stated on our booking e mail. When we arrived (and had paid) we were informed that this contract had been cancelled and so breakfast would be put in our room each evening. Breakfast constituted a muffin, a coissant (wrapped in Bacofoil) a banana, a splat of butter in a dish under clingfilm but with no knife, and a carton of Kia Ora. When we complained about the breakfast the manager shrugged, just that and nothing more. No bin, Two cups, one spoon and one saucer, no coffee but milk and sugar for a day but then no refills. No information, no fire procedure, no extinguishers. Bad smells (including the pillows) no standards, no intention to put it right and not a care in the world. These people don't deserve your business, Just don't go.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear landsailor2

Shanaka Rajapakse

Been to Raintree B&B? Share your experiences!