“Very dated, needs a refurb...” 2 of 5 stars

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Borough, Farnham GU9 7NN, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Farnham
London, England
“Very dated, needs a refurb...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel looks very pretty on the internet, the best bit of it is the outside back garden that is very sweet. However the hotel itself is really dated, the carpets are worn, the rooms very 1980's, the walls are scuffed, the bathrooms very old, the decor in quite bad taste and generally needs a face lift. The floor boards creak constantly so you cant relax without someone walking past and waking you up, and you cant walk around your bedroom without totally annoying other guests.
We had room service breakfast which turned up late and freezing cold, the staff were really friendly and good about taking it off the bill but not what you need when you wake up in a place where they seem to charge nearly £20 for breakfast.

I would recommend this place or stay here again. Sorry!

Room Tip: Dont go there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Ali Pep,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel.
I am sorry to hear that your experience of the decor in the hotel was not what you had hoped for, however I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be helpful.
We will bear your comments in mind when looking at future work for the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Bush hotel is a very nice place to spend some time indeed. The rooms are very comfortable, the food is very good, the staff is very friendly and helpful but. The but is that the hotel should perhaps keep a little tighter control over who they let work on their own without full training. Night-time barman was very amiable but was in need of guidance to bring him up to the level of the rest of the hotel. Room service was also served with an empty individual size pot of sauce, you would normally expect it to be sealed! These were two minor infractions in an otherwise fantastic hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Charlotte F.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Bush hotel. I'm pleased that you found the rooms very comfortable, and were pleased with the food during your stay. It's also great to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, as we do strive to exceed our guests expectations wherever possible.

We have also taken on board your feedback regarding the new member of staff and the size of the sauce on your room service order and will look into improving this. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel location is excellent for access to the local shops and restaurants. The exterior, gardens give a great impression and public areas of the hotel are all clean and comfortable. The staff were always polite and efficient.and the breakfasts were outstanding.
We stayed for two nights with our daughters in interconnecting rooms (a twin and a double) which was a great arrangement. The rooms were quiet and basically comfortable.
....now the downside. Once beyond the main public areas the hotel is tired and threadbare. The rooms badly needed redecoration. Our bathroom had tiles missing and damp patches on the wall, chipped and peeling paintwork and the shower didn't work.
Certainly overpriced in its present condition.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the garden and on the top floor were very quiet but its a long walk to breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear anwright,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with your daughters in the hotel. I am delighted to see that you found our staff to be polite and efficient, as we always strive to exceed our guests expectations of service. I am also glad to hear that you found the interconnecting bedrooms to be clean and comfortable.
We have an ongoing maintenace programme in which the team are working to repaint areas that need attention and replace tiles such as the ones that you mentioned, so please rest assured that we are working to improve these small areas and improve your experience for future visits.
I have passed on your kind comments about the breakfast during your stay being outstanding to our Chef and the breakfast team. We have received a lot of feedback that for many guests breakfast at the Bush Hotel is a particular highlight of their stay due to the exceptional quality of the food and the selection. It's always a pleasure to receive such a resounding compliment.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future

Elaine
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here for two nights to attend a family wedding and found the hotel to be a pleasant and comfortable place to stay after our long drive from the north east. The hotel is situated right on Farnham High Street and is therefore very conveniently located for the local shops, pubs and cafes. We were very happy with our room and had managed to get a cut price rate which we felt was about right for this class of hotel. The public areas have a bit of an old world charm with exposed beams, dark wood panelling and open fireplaces etc. Our room was in a modern extension to the original building and was clean and inviting with a pleasant outlook over the hotel gardens. As we were part of a wedding party we were catered for as a group and did not have the opportunity to try out the normal restaurant. However, the service and food was of a good standard and we had no complaints. The hotel gardens provided a lovely setting for wedding drinks and photographs.
The Mercure Bush may not be quite a five star hotel but it was certainly ideal for a weekend stay in this charming town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bottlebrook,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a charming review of your stay at the hotel for a family wedding. I'm delighted that you were able to enjoy both the old world charm of the main hotel, and the comfort of one of our refurbished bedrooms with a view out over the gardens. We are very lucky to have the grounds which are not only lovely to look at from inside the hotel, but also delightful to sit out in when the weather allows.

It sounds like you had a fantastic time attending the wedding at the hotel, and I I have passed on your comments regarding the good service and food that you encountered during the day to all of the team who were involved in planning and running the day.

We would be pleased to welcome you back again the next time you are in the area.

Essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here with extended family for a nearby wedding early October 2012. We stayed for 2 nights, incurring a cost of £240/room for the duration.
First impressions of the hotel are good. It is very pretty and feels rather country (if you ignore the road noise), it is very clean, the staff are helpful and breakfast is nothing short of amazing: no matter what your tastes are you will be accomodated for.
The rooms are clean and tidy, decorated tastefully and a good size. Irons and ironing boards are supplied (not the best ones, but adequate). Initially we were supplied the wrong room (we required a twin and got a double, however the staff came in later that evening and seperated them. Incidentally leaving a 8" metal connector sticking ot of the bed which my shin didn't take to kindly to on a couple of occasions. Our room had air conditioning and it was fully functional, although a touch noisy.
Bad points; the lighting in the room is exceptionally poor. Make up application is difficult... The only good mirror with good lighting is in the bathroom, however you can't get very close to it so 20:20 vision a must to use it. The bathroom had spotlights in the ceiling and the paint etc. is all chipped aware and they are verging on mouldy. This doesn't affect your stay as such; but they're pretty grim. The carpets all through the hotel are very worn and faded but our room was very bad: the carpet was brown all over I assume some years ago, however a large portion of is now more of a beige. None of these things are intolerable, but I would expect this from a £60-70/room/night hotel not a £120/room/night hotel.
The biggest and most annoying issue with our stay was our faulty door. Every time I tried to enter the room it wouldn't work; just flashed red and off I went to reception AGAIN!!! So often in fact I didn't even need to tell the young lady my room number... she had remembered. The staff kept saying that it was me as I was putting the key with my phone etc. However I would get a new key on my way to bed each evening, leave it on the side, on its own, overnight, would go to breakfast with nothing other than my key... and you guessed it... it wouldn't work. The staff eventually gave me 4 keys in hope that one would work each time I returned. Poor and inadequate solution to an evidently faulty door.
Based upon poor value due to condition I would have rated the hotel a 3/5, but just for the annoying door it has to be a 2/5.

Room Tip: Be aware that the cleaners start very early so it is essential to put the do not disturb on your doo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sez_Matt,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel for a wedding in the area. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be helpful and the breakfast amazing.

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with the door key for your room over your stay, I can understand that this must have been very frustrating for you. I have asked our maintenance team to look into this to ensure the problem doesn't happen again. Please accept my apologies for this.

I trust that on the whole you did enjoy your stay with us, we strive to exceed our guests expectations wherever we can, so I hope that we may see you again in the future.

Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

very good hotel. bit dated in places. good location in town. very good buffet breakfast would recommrnd to all and will stay again.great value for money.bar prices are a bit steep and room could do with a bit of tlc.

• Stayed September 2012
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Martyn B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see that on the whole that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will stay again in the future. Thank you for your recommendation.

I would recommend looking out for some of our regular food and drinks promtions during your next stay, as these offer great value for money when enjoying an evening in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I have to say that I can't fault it for anything really. The room was quite comfortable and very spacious. I had a large double bed (almost King size), a desk, coffee table and two seater sofa. A very large and quite luxurious bathroom. Room 24 in case you're interested.

I didn't get a chance to use any of the facilities in the hotel as I unfortunately had to go up to Farnham Castle for my meetings - which leaves something to be desired but that's a whole other review. The lounge/bar area was really quite nice and had a very medieval / Tudor type charm to it complete with fireplace. It also has a very large and nice courtyard as well.

Being right on the high street helps heaps as you have everything you might need right at your doorstep. Keep in mind though that everything in Farnham shuts down either at 17:00 or 18:00 in the afternoon - even the Boots just around the corner. Restaurants and bars are of course open but if you need anything else - you're stuffed unless you go around the corner to the Sainsburys.

But I digress.....I did have the breakfast which was included in my room rate and I requested it in my room which wasn't an issue at all. There is a £5 supplementary charge to have your included breakfast in your room instead of in the restaurant but I wanted to enjoy my brekkie in the comfort of my room in my sweet time. Nothing wrong with the breakfast I ordered. Well, it did arrive cold but I called down to reception and within 5 minutes I had a piping hot breakfast at my door - so hot I couldn't even pick the plate up. :-) So, no issues there at all.

The staff were very friendly, and accommodating. I can't really fault them for anything. I would definitely recommend the Mercure Bush and if I need to be in the area again, I would stay there in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the inner courtyard with the fountain. Room 24 is a corner room with plenty of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kookie72,
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel for a business trip, and for your recommendation, it is very much appreciated. It is always our intention to exceed the expectations of our guests and I am pleased to see that we were able to do this for you during your stay.

I was delighted to hear that you you were pleased with the standard and comfort that you found in your bedroom. I'm sure that room 24 will now be highly requested in the future following your description! This is the standard that we work hard to maintain in all of our bedrooms throughout the hotel.
I have passed on your kind comments to the staff across the hotel, it's always good to know when we are getting things right, and any areas that we can improve on in the future.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time that you are in Farnham.

Paul Morgan

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!