“Suited the suits just fine....” 4 of 5 stars

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Borough, Farnham GU9 7NN, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Farnham
London
“Suited the suits just fine....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I have to say that I can't fault it for anything really. The room was quite comfortable and very spacious. I had a large double bed (almost King size), a desk, coffee table and two seater sofa. A very large and quite luxurious bathroom. Room 24 in case you're interested.

I didn't get a chance to use any of the facilities in the hotel as I unfortunately had to go up to Farnham Castle for my meetings - which leaves something to be desired but that's a whole other review. The lounge/bar area was really quite nice and had a very medieval / Tudor type charm to it complete with fireplace. It also has a very large and nice courtyard as well.

Being right on the high street helps heaps as you have everything you might need right at your doorstep. Keep in mind though that everything in Farnham shuts down either at 17:00 or 18:00 in the afternoon - even the Boots just around the corner. Restaurants and bars are of course open but if you need anything else - you're stuffed unless you go around the corner to the Sainsburys.

But I digress.....I did have the breakfast which was included in my room rate and I requested it in my room which wasn't an issue at all. There is a £5 supplementary charge to have your included breakfast in your room instead of in the restaurant but I wanted to enjoy my brekkie in the comfort of my room in my sweet time. Nothing wrong with the breakfast I ordered. Well, it did arrive cold but I called down to reception and within 5 minutes I had a piping hot breakfast at my door - so hot I couldn't even pick the plate up. :-) So, no issues there at all.

The staff were very friendly, and accommodating. I can't really fault them for anything. I would definitely recommend the Mercure Bush and if I need to be in the area again, I would stay there in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the inner courtyard with the fountain. Room 24 is a corner room with plenty of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Kookie72,
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel for a business trip, and for your recommendation, it is very much appreciated. It is always our intention to exceed the expectations of our guests and I am pleased to see that we were able to do this for you during your stay.

I was delighted to hear that you you were pleased with the standard and comfort that you found in your bedroom. I'm sure that room 24 will now be highly requested in the future following your description! This is the standard that we work hard to maintain in all of our bedrooms throughout the hotel.
I have passed on your kind comments to the staff across the hotel, it's always good to know when we are getting things right, and any areas that we can improve on in the future.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time that you are in Farnham.

Paul Morgan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Turkish first
SHROPSHIRE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here on Thursday night along with other family members, so we occupied several rooms. Our room was in the courtyard which suited us very well. All the staff are exceptionally helpfull and cared for our needs well. Reine who works on reception was especially friendly, she also greeted me by name the following morning without any prompting which again I thought very professional considering the number of guests in the Hotel. I did feel the price excessive for the quality factor but this maybe a reflection of the area, we were cetainly charged several times the amount others have quoted dispite having booked several months in advance and the amount of rooms we had. The breakfast was buffet style and was ok but unremarkable but again the staff were attentive and helpfull.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are good if walking and stairs are a issue.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Benthall,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay in one of our courtyard rooms.
I will be delighted to pass on your comments regarding the professionalism and helpfulness of the staff, and in particular how you were greeted by name the day after your arrival. It is very important to us that all of our guests feel welcome when staying with us.

We would very much like to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Brough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a room in the newer part of the hotel and paid about £50 per night including breakfast which in my opinion is excellent value.
room was very clean. My only criticism was that the shower did nt quite get hot enough. This hotel is not luxurious but to suggests it is overpriced is ridiculous.
There are a lot of cobwebs about which needs sorting. Breakfast was good, coffee and preserves excellent.
A special mention for the waiter who provided late night sandwiches when the manager told us the kitchen was closed. Seriously impressed and good luck to him in his career!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear PAC11,

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you felt your stay in the hotel was excellent value for money, and that you enjoyed your stay in one of our newer rooms. Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast and the service you received from the member of waiting staff, I have passed this on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Bush many times in different bedrooms, and overall thehotel is of a high standard. On this occasion, the shower would not not work properly and the shower head was encructed with dirt and needed descaling. I compalined and was offered another room, but too late to make any difference, to m one night stay. I was asked when leaving whether I had enjoyed my stay and again pointed out the problem with the shower, but was not offerred anything but sypathy

Dear Wadsworths,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I'm very glad to hear that when you have stayed before you have found the hotel to be of a high standard.
I have raised the issue that you found with the shower to our housekeeping and maintenace teams, to ensure that this is addressed and does not occur on your future visits.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here fro teh second time a few weeks back, for 4 nights. Had to carry luggage 300 yds to reception as the drop off area was full. Check in seemed OK but I was given a room overlooking the main street and at the end of a labyrinth of doors, steps and other hazards. I was given another rom, at the furthest end of teh hotel, quiet but a major trek, its the way teh place is laid out. Room was cleanbed and pillows OK.

Breakfast was crowded due to a number of wedding parties and on one occasion I could not get a tabel for one person. Food was Ok.

Overall not bad, but expensive for what it is, a basic bed and breakfast

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear CurryPuff1,
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry to hear that you felt that the breakfast was crowded during your stay. We are a very popular venue for weddings in the area as well as wedding accomodation, so demand can be quite high at weekends as a result. I am pleased to see that the food standard was to your liking.

Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We have known this hotel for many years so there were no surprises. It is a bit tired in need of updating. We had a room in the very old part of the hotel overlooking The Borough which I feared would be noisy but was not. Slight surprise to find a man in a cherrypicker outside the window on Sunday morning changing the advertising banner which goes across the road!! Four poster bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious with a large sofa . The bathroom is very much showing its age and needs to have better ventilation and updating. The staff were very pleasant and even though there was a wedding going on this did not cause any problems. Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice to suit all tastes and excellent service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Creakychris,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your most recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the room to be comfortable, and that you noticed just how little sound from the town centre you hear once within the bedrooms. Being so central in Farnham town is great for guests who want to shop or visit local businesses and we have great access from the main roads, but we are pleased, as you found out, that the noise does not filter into the bedrooms.

I'm also very glad to note that you found the staff pleasant and the service excellent during your stay. We're increasingly receiving positive feedback on the range and quality of the breakfasts at the hotel, and we are workig hard to ensure that this continues.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occassions and the staff are always very good. Its a great location for the business I was doing, and catered well to my needs, of location and convenience. It is also a very beautiful historic building in a nice village. They also do a particularly good breakfast buffet
Downside: Really does need some maintance. Toilet seat only attached one one side, and for executive room (implying I thought the need to work) the lighting was terrible

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear KBE9,
Thank you for your review following your most recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that we catered to your needs so well during your stay, and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffett. This is rapidly becoming a very popular opinion I am pleased to say. A lot of our regular guests, like yourself, find the hotel an ideal base when in the area for business due to the transport links and convienient town centre location, and we are always glad to welcome you back.

Thank you for raising the issue you had with the toilet and lighting in your room during this stay, I have passed this on to our Maintainance manager to address. I hope you will find this has improved by your next visit.

Paul Morgan

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!