“Don't book the restaurant!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel

You added The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel to your Saves list
The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Farnham GU10 1EX, England (Formerly Legacy Farnham Hog's Back Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Farnham
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Don't book the restaurant!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I saw the menu on-line and thought this would be a good place to have a nice meal with family. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. Overall, everything was just poor. The room is really only designed for breakfast (in fact half of it was set up already).
The waitress was new (a few days) so couldn't answer any questions, including what is the soup of the day. We ordered wine which took 20 minutes to arrive, even after reminding her twice. This was made all the more frustrating as she walked past it a couple of times - we could see it waiting for her on the desk, 10 feet away (and yes, I did consider going and getting it but was given the look by my wife).
When it did arrive the poor girl couldn't open it and so I did. I then reminded her about the coke we ordered, which she said she forgot.
The starters, which were fine, arrived about 20 minutes later (so 30 minutes after ordering) which was frustrating as we were the only diners. In hindsight this was a clue.
The mains arrived - the lamb was the smallest cut I've ever seen, both chicken dishes were overcooked and my beef and stilton pie didn't taste of stilton (or beef for that matter).
Finally we ordered another bottle of wine which arrived very quickly but was the wrong bottle. I then had an interesting conversation where it was pointed out that perhaps it was me that ordered the wrong bottle of wine.
All in all £170 spent not so much on a good meal as more dinner theatre.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
So sorry to read your review and that your restaurant experience was so poor. I recall you been in the restaurant and overheard the conversation within the team.
Please be assured that the necessary training has gone in place to correct these service matters and to ensure future guests have a much better experience.
Your review is appreciated as feedback, be it good or bad, enables me to both maintain and improve the service we provide to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel on and off for a few months now. I have to say having stayed there many times when ran by previous manager, I can see a vast improvement. The food was always poor in the past but now the food is pretty good. Last week the hotel was over booked but luckily the sales manager Sarah Parker made sure I didn't get moved to another hotel. She is a delight to deal with and very professional, she didn't have to do that but she's always looking at ways to ensure your stay was pleasurable, if I had a hotel I'd head hunt her. As is all the staff they always make you feel welcome and always keen to chat. Wouldn't hesitate to suggest this hotel to others and often do.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Many thanks for your very kind review following your very frequent stays at the hotel. It was good to meet up with you most weeks and to chat through our mutual experiences in the hospitality industry.
I was pleased that you can see improvements within the hotel and that by the time you return again you will have seen further improvements.
hopefully you will keep in touch.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 12/4/2014 and it was rubbish !
We got a refund from a previous rubbish stay here due to the lights breaking...
So this time we hoped itd be better...
Well, it wasnt..
We checked into a room that can only be described as a wendys house so we asked to move and was told that we could be moved, and there was more rooms available but the wonderfully miserable receptionist told us she simply didnt want to ? Hmm..
To be honest it just looked like she couldnt be bothered with the computer work...
Either way, for the amount you pay here, youd expect a little more than a shed room and employees that are too lazy to click the mouse button.
Next time i think ill book into a travelodge lol ;)

• Stayed April 2014
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for your recent review and I was sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Your comments are not reflective of those in numerous other reviews.
I have spoken with the receptionist in question. I have also asked my housekeeper to take each and every receptionist on a tour of the bedrooms as the team is relatively new.
I understand you were offered to view an alternative room but declined this offer.
Both myself and duty manager were in the hotel and would have happily spoken with you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My wife and I, had our wedding reception at the Hotel on March 15. We would firstly like to thank Dorota, for her help and hard work in planning the event for us. The meal was excellent, thanks to chef and his team. We stayed in The Room at the top, very comfortable, and everything that you need. Friends and family, that also stayed have said that they enjoyed themselves, breakfast was excellent, and hot, where a lot of hotels it can be luke warm or even cold.
Once again, many thanks to everybody, for all of your help in making our special day one to remember.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your marvellous review following your recent wedding reception at the hotel. The team was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and that your guests were equally impressed with the quality of breakfast and service throughout the hotel.
We take great pride in providing great food and service at real value for money prices.
We appreciate how important the wedding day is to each and every Couple and I like to think the team goes that extra mile to ensure you do have a truly memorable day.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Godalming, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My wife and I were married in Guildford in April and arranged an afternoon celebration at the Hog's Back Hotel. We did not have an evening party or overnight stay. We and our guests enjoyed our afternoon there very much. Not only were the room, food and wine excellent but we were also very pleased indeed with the efficient, sensitive and friendly service of the team. All the staff at the hotel, whether directly working with us or not, were so friendly and welcoming. The Events Organiser, Dorota, did a brilliant job in talking us through our options and organising the afternoon. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed. We could not have wished for better. We have no hesitation in recommending the Hog's Back Hotel to anyone looking for a venue for a wedding reception.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent wedding reception. The team was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your day.
We pride ourselves on the quality of the wedding experience enjoyed by the happy couple and this is reflected in the growing number of enquiries we receive.
I do hope you will return to the Legacy Hog's Back Hotel for future celebrations.
Thank you again for a marvellous review.
Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Diva Spa not one I would recommend

Booked the Afternoon Tea package for myself and a friend. We are both used to using a spa, but this fell short of our expectations.

On arrival we took a guess that we had head for the Gym entrance as the Diva salon is not signposted. The lady on the gym reception directed us to the Conservatory next door where we were greeted & offered tea or coffee.

I would suggest arriving early as the paperwork took about 20 mins to complete - it's not that there is a lot to complete, but it is given to you separately.
Firstly, we were given a list of 'house rules & treatment list' to read. Then we were told that our treatments would be at 15.40 & given a form for Afternoon Tea. We had to decide at what time we would like to eat and tick which sandwich we would like from a selection of about 5 fillings.
Next we were asked which treatment we required & then had to complete some personal information.

We were given a towel & robe and shown through to the changing rooms. The towel was ok, but the robe had seen better days & appears a one size fits all. My friend is quite short so her robe was down to her knees, but as I am taller, mine was decidedly shorter!

We went to the pool area which is quite nice and clean. However, don't expect a quiet, relaxing time just because this is a spa. There was a family of 4 permanently in the jacuzzi, so we didn't get to try this out. The steam room and sauna are ok, but small and the seating around the pool consists of a few plastic sun loungers and a couple of plastic tables and chairs. Another family with children arrived in the pool & we were quite glad that it was time to leave for our treatments.

Returning to the conservatory we were greeted and shown to the treatment room. Quite bizarrely my friend and I were both in the same treatment room although we were having very different treatments. We didn't mind, we just laughed about it.

However, this was the best part of the afternoon. I had a Back & neck massage which was really very good & my friend had an Aroma facial, which she also enjoyed.

After sitting in the conservatory relaxing afterwards, we decided that we would probably not use the pool again & would change into our day clothes for the tea. Thank heavens we did as during the tea a group of business people sat behind us having a meeting! How embarrassing that would have been if we were still in our thin robes!

The tea was nice & enough for two.

There are many different packages for this spa, but I'm not really sure how you could fill a whole day here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review following a recent spa day. Your feedback is highly valued and I found each and every point raised to be thought provoking.
I will discuss the process with Diva as the hotel do not actually run the facility.
I have to say it is rare that business people ever use the conservatory area. On this occasion we had a group who used the area to finish off a presentation.
Our steam room and sauna are on the small side and I was surprised anybody would spend a long time in there.
we do have plans for upgrading these facilities, hopefully later this year, and I do hope you will return again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here on 31st March with our one year old daughter and it was a lovely relaxing stay :)

Gentleman on reception that afternoon was exceptional his customer service was excellant made us feel really welcome and couldnt do enough for us. Always had a smile and always welcoming very nice to see as its not always the case especially when staying in the big chain hotels.

My partner used the free gym which he said was on the small side but did the job, had a look at the pool looked a really good size shame we didnt have time to use it but hopefully we will be back!

Breakfast at the hotel was really tasty had a lovely large choice of both hot and cold items and was nice to see they offered a selection of eggs cooked to order.

Rooms were large even with the travel cot still had plenty of room to move about. Nice comfy bed with lovely pillows. Flat screen internet tv, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities and even toiletries in the bathroom.

Thank you all so much for a lovely stay and we hope to see you again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. It was good to see you enjoyed your visit so much .The team are rightly proud of our reputation for delivering great service in comfortable surroundings and at real value for money prices.
We are also planning to refurbish and upgrade several areas within the hotel over the next 12 months.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area

Been to The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel? Share your experiences!