“Extremely dated and falling apart, not particularly helpfull staff and the worst salon treatment I have ever experienced.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel

You added The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel to your Saves list
The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Farnham GU10 1EX, England (Formerly Legacy Farnham Hog's Back Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Farnham
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Ramada Farnham for my birthday and also to attend a friends wedding that was local. We decided on the Ramada because it was the closest hotel around with a spa to the wedding venue. BIG MISTAKE!
The look of the hotel from the outside is lovely. It's ok location wise, just shame about the big A road dual carrage way. But when you step inside you are instantly welcomed my garish dated carpets, peeling paint, cracked seelings and not particularly helpful staff. The room wasn't much better either, with rusty towel holders and a lack of appliances in the room. The real cheek is that we where charged £80 per night for a room that isn't at all up to scratch and if you wanted wifi in your room you are charged at £6 per day, which is ridiculous!!!
I can deal with the dated hotel and rooms but when it came terrible joint treatment with my partner it was the last staw. We where greated in the reception area, advised to go into the treatment room which was lovely and relaxing and they would be in shortly. We waited 15 minutes or so on the beds for our masseuses to come in. Once they had the lady I had was terrible. The pressure was way to hard and she should have been able to tell by my body language that was the case. She also kept pausing and mouthing things to the other girl. The next 2 days my shoulder (she spent the majority of time on one area) was so tender. However my partner thoughly enjoyed the massage he received from the other lady. Just my luck I suppose!
I would not return and would advise others not to bother either.

• Stayed October 2013
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry you were disappointed with the fabric and facilities within the hotel. Legacy Hotels and Resorts manage the hotel for its new owners since June. Prior to that the hotel was in administration and had no investment for 5 years.
The Wi-Fi is due for a major up grade by October 25 and will also be included in the room rate.
Plans for refurbishing all other areas are well advanced and we expect to see substantial progress by end March.
It was good that your partner enjoyed his treatment and I was disappointed to read that you found yours to be less than satisfactory. Needless to say I will discuss this with our partners who run the Diva Salon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
suffolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Although this hotel was huge and lacking in atmosphere it was surprisingly comfortable and well managed. Considering its on the Hogs Back it was quiet with good sleep quality. Restaurant was very good with some delicious options on the menu and breakfast acceptable. Staff were very well trained and pleasant. I was surprised how good it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I was delighted to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
We work hard at delivering a consistently good product and service at a real value for money price.
Our plans to upgrade many areas of the hotel are well advanced. The Wi-Fi is due for a major upgrade by end October and I know this will certainly please our loyal guests who have had to endure a poor signal and speed issue for a number of years.
I hope to meet you on your next visit to the Farnham area
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for a night on the 7th October 2013 and have to say. for the price I paid I was a little worried at what I would be letting myself in for - HOWEVER, the hotel complex is actually very substantial and although some of the areas need a little updating in terms of decor, everything was clean and worked (apart from the WiFi which seemed a little hit and miss).

If I had one grip this would be to make the doors swing both ways - carrying your bags to your room you have to drop them at each set of doors as they open towards you (going out however is easy!).

The room I stayed in (310) was a good size with a firm bed which I prefer - The shower was great with good water pressure and nice and warm.If I had one criticism it would be that the room was quite warm - probably not an issue in the winter however even in the cool of Autumn I found it quite warm and I could find no way to cool the room unless you opened the window (which then means you can hear anyone talking outside). Air-con or a fan is a must for the summer I suspect.

Food-wise, I have to say I was mighty impressed - one of the best cooked steaks I have ever had and a really good quality soup was enjoyed as a starter. The staff were all nice and in the morning the Hotel Manager personally encouraged you to eat a hearty breakfast and would arrange for eggs and the like to be cooked as and when you wanted them - a nice touch.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If carrying a lot of bags ask for a ground floor room. If the weather is mild ask for a fan.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your wonderful review which I will certainly be sharing with the team. Great to see you had such a great stay and enjoyed the meals. Good that you followed my advice and had a breakfast.
The Wi-Fi is getting up graded by October 25 and that will certainly end all the niggles we deservedly get for the system we inherited.
Plans for the refurbishment of many areas of the hotel are moving on and I am confident a lot will have been completed by March 2014. Looking forward to seeing you back again in the near future
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a lovely experience at the Diva Salon using my gift voucher. When I arrived Sue was courteous and made me feel very welcome and she explained everything very well. My treatments carried out by Fran were very good. And I also had a really lovely lunch in the bar area.
However, having been to several Spa centres before I did expect a slightly more upmarket situation, and I agree with a previous comment that it was a bit like a public swimming pool, but there was evidence of redecoration being carried out & signs of 'wet paint' around. Also as I was there on my own it would have been nice if there was a selection of topical magazines &/or newspapers at the poolside and in the reception/conservatory area to browse through.
I would also like to suggest that DIva Salon adds a section to their website 'what to bring' for your spa day - and list swim wear, shampoo/conditioner, and a book or magazine etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for your recent feedback following your spa day. These comments will certainly be discussed with our partners who operate the Salon. Plans to upgrade the changing areas and pool hall are now well advanced and we hope to have completed by end January. I am confident that these works will enhance the spa experience. Please visit our website pages for updates on special offers and news of our refurbishment program.
Farnham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I booked a Spa day in this hotel in July of this year for myself and three friends. I received the booking confirmation through and everything was great. I heard nothing else at all until the day before when I got a strange e-mail from them which seemed to suggest that half my booking had been cancelled. I got straight on the phone to an extremely rude man who claimed to be the owner of this hotel. He said that half the booking had been cancelled because I hadn't paid for it. In fact I had booked all places through Groupon and had paid for both bookings in the same way - with a voucher. This man said that there had been a system error, he seemed to think this was my problem. He actually could not care less, there was no customer care, he basically said it was my problem and now if I went along the next day, only two of us would be able to have treatments, and two would miss out. We would not receive any refund and he did not offer any concessions. He did not even apologise, he just blatantly did not care. When I got upset about it, he said I was rude and he wasn't willing to deal with me!! He said we could go back another day but as my vouchers expired the following day this was impossible. He really upset me and my friends since we have all been having a hard time and had been looking forward to this day for months. I think it was a complete scam to try and save himself money. He claimed the spa was full and could not offer us any alternative options such as all having a manicure rather than a massage etc - he didn't even know what treatments we wanted anyway as you only tell them on the day, which seems very strange in itself. Luckily I spoke to Groupon who were fantastic and gave us a refund. I feel I had a very lucky escape. I can now see why this hotel originally went bust. Their customer service is non-existent and I will certainly not be having anything to do with them ever again!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gerry M, Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I am so sorry to read of your experience. The spa facility is run by another party and I have discussed your review with the man in question and also have seen the paper work. It seems 2 bookings were made, 1 via Groupon promotion and 1 direct. the booking via Groupon has been cancelled on September 27 and the direct booking on Sept 3. I understand the spa have offered alternative dates and this offer still stands.
I do hope you decide to take this offer up.
Atherstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by my company's booking agent. It was not too far from where I was working, but you have to go round a convoluted back way to get off the dual carriageway to get to the hotel. Follow the bed signposts and you'll find it! It's near to the hogsback microbrewery and they serve their ales on tap in the bar.
The hotel has great staff and service, and I was even upgraded to the suite, also called "the room at the top". It was nice to have the extra space and relax on a sofa to do my admin on the laptop , but if you stay in this room be warned its up a fair amount of stairs and there is no lift! Some areas of the hotel are fairly modern and stylish, but a large amount of the bedrooms and corridors are a bit stuck in the 90s and in need of a refresh. The Room at the Top suite is such a room, it has the potential to be stunning but is in reality a bit dated in its decor. I took a shower which was over the bath and the bath was really rickety! Also, there was free wifi in communal areas of the hotel and some of the nearby bedrooms, but no wifi in the suite where you would expect.
Also, I couldn't help but notice that the room smelt of smoke, but I think this may have come from another room on the same floor. However, the room was scrupulously clean otherwise.
This hotel has great potential and is recommended if you are staying in the Farnham/Aldershot area. I didn't use the gym/spa it there is one there should you want to use it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gerry M, General Manager at The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your review, and I found each and every point valuable. Legacy have not long managed the property for its new owners. By end October we will have updated the entire Wi-Fi system which will be available to all our guests on a complimentary basis. New external high level lighting will be in place from mid October which should help guests find the hotel, especially at night.
Our plans for the refurbishment of all bedrooms, meeting rooms and public areas are well advanced and our intention is to start works early in the new year.
Hopefully you will return and I can show you what we have achieved.
I look forward to meeting you .
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as had a conference there the following day
Good points
Very clean
Lovely room
Good fish and chips

Bad points
My room 102 was located opposite the housekeeping room. Staff awoke me very early (6.40) talking very loud this was not acceptable. Staff should be told and also where is their common sense and respect to guests who are trying to sleep. I told the receptionist when I checked out and was told 'sorry' she was not interested in following up my complaint

The hotel restaurant had all the charm and atmosphere of a doctors waiting room. Staff seemed inexperienced had to send my meal back which was pork steak which was very fatty and tough was replaced with fish and chips which was very good

Ordered an Irish coffee after my meal and after 15 minutes of waiting I chased it up and I was told the barman was having a problem with it.

At breakfast which was very quiet I was greeted by a surly waitress not with good morning but 'tea coffee' and I was not told of the breakfast procedure and only after helping myself to the buffet did I then realise I could have ordered other buffet items

This is my first time staying at a legacy and they should take some tips from premier Inn to which I stay in a lot and have always experienced a first class welcoming service for much less money

• Stayed September 2013
Many thanks for your valued feedback following a recent stay. I will certainly be highlighting all the points raised with my catering manager and I will also be putting in place the necessary training to ensure we deliver a much higher level of service.
It would be great to meet you when next staying in the area and to demonstrate that we can deliver a quality experience

Been to The Farnham Hog's Back Hotel? Share your experiences!