“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

01737 371 371
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Raj is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 154 Restaurants in Epsom
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Description: Situated in the rather moneyed Surrey town of Epsom Downs, Le Raj has been something of a pioneer in the world of Indian dining. Among the first to insist on all natural ingredients, this award winning dining room is known for authentic and traditional Asian cuisine done to perfection, crafted by hand from the basics up with dairy produce made on site and fish and meat cut to suit each particular dish. And while Le Raj may not be known for providing ���fast��� food, the wait is well worth it, each dish tailor made for your order so you know its fresh and, if necessary, adapted for your needs. Additional to Indian classics, owner Enam Ali has taken inspiration from his mothers kitchen in Bangladesh, providing a fantastic overview of the home cookery of that region too. Food quality is of the utmost importance but Le Raj is almost as well known for its ambience - relaxed and comfortable but still with an appropriately upmarket look and feel throughout the entirely modern interior.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Went recently with my family- fabulous service great food- my dad having challenged the waiters to surprise him off the menu... Fantastic wine and a brilliant night. Will definitely go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Woking, United Kingdom
“One thing spoilt it all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I treated our grandson to a belated birthday meal at the Le Raj on Sunday 27th October 2013. We were greeted by a charming waiter who gave us ample time to choose our meal. All was fine - food, wine, ambience. However, at about 2.15pm everything changed. A different waiter appeared, a surly man whose sole intent was to get rid of us by 2.30pm when the kitchen closed. We were not given an itemised bill, my wife did not receive her coffee and we were abruptly ushered out of the restaurant. What a shame that one person can have such an effect.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Epsom, United Kingdom
“It's all true what they say”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Having heard of Le Raj for years, I was interested to be invited to a celebration there.

Yes, they do curries superbly well.

Yes, they have various other top quality food to tempt your palate.

Yes, they don't have serving spoons, just your place setting.

And yes, they jammed us in too close together - with one colleague's place setting partly on one table and partly on the next.

I was a guest and didn't see the bill.

I enjoyed my visit - but I would think twice about returning.

Sorry Mr Ali.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food - but service sadly lacking...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Food excellent but waiting staff sulky and the service lacked interest . We asked for tap water and were given nearly £10 worth of bottled water. The prices are very much at the high end but the food is fresh and beautifully presented.
Expect to pay, with a decent bottle of wine, £60.00 per head for 2 courses - and the overpriced bottled water!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Utterly useless”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I had been looking forward to going to this restaurant for some time and I wish I hadn't bothered.

My wife and I arrived at the restaurant. Four staff were standing around the bar discussing something. The door closed behind us and noone approached us. The door then opened again and four people walked in. One of the staff looked up and walked over to the new arrivals, greeted them like long lost friends and took them to their table. He completely ignored us, as did his colleagues. After about 20 seconds my wife and I walked out.

I can't rate the food or the decor. All I can say is that the ambience is rude and unwelcoming and the staff are incompetent.

This place does not deserve its reputation.

• Visited September 2013