Firstly - and I have said this before - there really should be a good category as there is a big gulf between being average and being very good. I did think about giving this hotel very good, but in the end the basics let it down so I had to plump for average
It is a beautiful building with many original features and the house was built during tudor times. We booked a travelzoo deal for DBB and agreed to pay an extra £25 for a suite upgrade if available. We were upgraded and the room was huge - a big bed/sitting room with a separate door to another large sitting area which we didn't need to use. Room had a lovely view over the grounds and golf course. However - the room clearly hadn't been used for a while - it smelt musty and needed a good dust. The bathroom was tired and very small considering the size of the suite. Clearly someone had been into the room that day as they had left the complimentary bottle of wine for us, so surely they must have noticed the half dozen or so large dead flies on the windowsills. This was very offputting.
The restaurant didn't seem to have an older, experienced person in charge, and whilst the young staff were friendly, service was far from efficient. They had to come back to check our order and we had to wait 90 minutes between our starter and main. We sat down at 8.30 and didn't leave the restaurant till nearly 11 - and we only had 2 courses!! Other people came and went whilst we were sat there, so I don't know if they had just forgotten about us. In the end I had to chase our main courses up. The food was edible but the burger was dry and overcooked and the wedges only lukewarm. However, we had waited that long that I ate it anyway.
We ordered a Sunday paper on check in which we never received
On checkout the guy asked how our stay had been and we did tell him of our issues. He very kindly knocked a round of drinks and the suite upgrade fee off of our bill which we did appreciate and we did make him aware of this.
Really - if they got the basics right, I could have given them excellent!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Et in 200 acres of beautiful Surrey countryside, the Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club is an historic country mansion with an 18 hole championship golf course, luxury beauty treatment rooms and well-appointed leisure club. Perfect for large scale business events in the area as well as romantic weddings, this picturesque setting also features extensive grounds ideal for outdoor team-building and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Selsdon Park & Golf Course Hotel Croydon
- Selsdon Park And Golf Course
- Selsdon Park Hotel Course
- Selsdon Park Croydon