“A (cramped) room with a view.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club

You added Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club to your Saves list
Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Addington Rd, Sanderstead-South Croydon, Croydon CR2 8YA, England   |
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Croydon
Kent, England
“A (cramped) room with a view.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As we were invited to a function at the hotel we thought we would stay the night at the “function rate” as an added treat. The double (??!) room 134 was the smallest we have ever stayed in – very cramped & just about okay for one night. The room had a three-quarter sized bed with one side up against a wall. Obviously this meant one person had to clamber over another to get out. Maybe okay when a youthful student but those days, like the hairline & unlike the waistline, have long receded. The bed had a single head board was fixed to the wall (thus not covering the whole of the bed). This was strong evidence that the hotel was cheekily cramming two into one. The view from the room was good though. There were, unfortunately, other things we should have complained about but did not want to ruin our friends “do”. Sadly, would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If booking a double room make sure you are given a double room!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SPHGC, Management administrator at Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest
I am a little frustrated to read your comments and I do believe that these have been addressed with you directly since your departure. I can confirm that all of our rooms may vary in size, shape and view due to the age of the building and are not uniform, which I believe is in keeping with the age of the hotel. Having resolved your issues satisfactorily I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here last night for a wedding in the area and I can honestly say that it is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We checked in at 12pm and the room was freezing cold with no way in which to actually turn the heating on. When arriving back at the hotel at 1.30am the room was as cold as it was outside with was not much above freezing and when we called reception to get someone to sort it out the man that arrived had no clue at all and so we had to sleep in a freezing room all night and I have woken up today with the worst cold as it was so awful. The bathroom was so cold you couldn't even take a shower. Secondly at breakfast the next morning we asked to be seated on a table of four so our friends could join us to then be promptly told by the man at the front desk that this was not possible as he had 400 people coming to breakfast that morning. This was at 7.45am and the restaurant was virtually empty!!! The breakfast was awful. Coffee was disgusting with concentrated orange juice and the whole experience was plain terrible. Upon leaving the restaurant I said to the same member of staff that he could have seated our friends with us as it was clear that the so called 400 people he had booked would not be coming down all at once and he started to argue with me and then simply turned his back on me!! Upon informing the reception of our terrible experience she said she would get the duty manager to talk to us but this person took ages to arrive and we were waiting in reception for a good 15 mins and I had to again ask the receptionist whether she had called the manager to deal with our complaints. The lady we did eventually deal with was nice and actually friendly and said we would not be charged for our room and did apologise, (although that is something we will have to check still on our bank statement). However, the whole experience was just the worst ever, The building looks lovely as you pull up, but the staff are terrible and rude, the bedrooms are so tired looking and have not been revamped for what appears to be at least 20 years, The carpets are flithly and towels looked very worn and our particular room was freezing. The cedar bar is quite grotty and dirty, but the worst part was the attitude of the staff and trying to get someone to help us. While I was waiting for the duty manager in reception three other people complained so clearly it was not just the way we felt and that was in a ten minute period!!!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU ARE IN THE ARE UNLESS THE MANAGEMENT AND STAFF CHANGE IN THE NEAR FUTURE AND IT HAS BEEN REVAMPED!!!!!

We would have had a much better experience I am sure at the premier inn up the road. Seriously please avoid this place like the plague and maybe they will take note and start to do something about their staffing issues and the general lack of regard for the place as a whole!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here in the first place!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for you comments, however I am of course naturally disappointed to read that the service you received was not to our typical standards. It was also frustrating as the manager you spoke felt that she herself had dealt with your issues satisfactorily prior to departure. Should a guest report a fault with heating in a room an alternative tool would have been offered. I apolgise again if you are unhappy with the resolution to your issues and your comments will be addressed with the team.
Sutton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was so worried after reading the many terrible reviews that I had seen before attending our spa day yesterday which a friend arranged through Travelzoo. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Ok I agree the changing rooms are small, could do with a bit more of a clean, but they didn't smell like some have claimed. I also agree that the jacuzzi was out of action and looks like it had been for a very long time. But on the upside the staff were very friendly and helpful and the treatments we had - 2 a back, neck and shoulder massage and a dermologica facial were fantastic. It was the best facial I have had in a long time. We left feeling very relaxed having had a very enjoyable day.

Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review,
It am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and left feeling relaxed and I look forward to be able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We arrived excited for our spa day which my mum had organised for my birthday. We were not given much help or information when we got there on where to go for the treatments or how to get around the hotel - which is massive!! A disappointing start.
We weren't given help with our bags and our room was up a few small sets of stairs. The rooms were tatty but shower worked ok - my bed sheet had a hole in it!!

The girls in the spa not only do the treatments but are expected to work reception as well so there was no one to greet you when you arrived for treatments. The treatments were okay but my 25 min massage was more like 15mins and then 'relaxation' time i.e. being left while they attended reception.
We complained about out 'experience so far' and were given a free bottle of bubbly with our dinner - this seemed to be the norm - the manager was not remotely surprised and seemed to be saying the same old lines!!
The pool was okay and we were quite glad the jacuzzi was broken as it was disgusting inside. The steam room was the most disgusting i have ever seen and the sauna looked really dirty.
Dinner was nice although no one really speaks english which made it difficult to ask for things as they kept having to get the same waiter to come over. Our meals were fine but we spent the evening surrounded by people making complaints - mains coming out before starters, people waiting over an hr for starters. People having mussels without being given finger bowls or bread - it was ridiculous but at least the guests were having a laugh with each other about how bad it was!!
My stay ended with the bathroom door handle coming off in my hand - luckily i had just opened the door. I took this to reception and as an apology the drinks were taken off our bill from the night before. This again did not seem to surprise the receptionist.
All in all - a memorable weekend but for all the wrong reasons. It was my mums first spa break - am hoping its not put her off!!! She had also spent quite alot of money on it and feels severely ripped off - if we hadnt had to pay up front im not sure we would have paid at all!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SPHGC, Management Administrator at Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Naturally I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations whilst staying with and please be assured that your comments will be passed to the relevant Management Team.
In the meantime I can assure you that our therapists are not expected to also be the Receptionist, we have a Leisure Club member of staff (attendant) on duty at all time when the facility is open. With regard to the complimentary champagne, this would have been a gesture of goodwill and is not given routinely by the Management Team. In the meantime I of course can not comment directly on other guests experiences you have mentioned without being contacted by the individual guest, however your comments have been noted and will be given to the Restaurant Manager to investigate further.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

we came by as we were guest for a wedding. the wedding was very well organised and we had a great time. our bedroom was nice but i wojld sah a bit small. and the view avarage. but the hotel grounds were so beautiful and spectacular. over all a good experience. thank u.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for leaving your feedback.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy the grounds we are able to offer to our guests. Please be assured I will be passing your feedback onto the Team where I am sure it will be warmly welcomed. In the meantime I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My friend and I had Travelzoo vouchers for a spa day at the Selsdon Park. Having now been and redemmed our vouchers I have to say I was very disappointed. I think it needs a huge injection of cash into this place. Both of us had lovely experiences with our treatments, the girls were both very lovely and professional, the only downside is that the treatment rooms are just off reception and all I could hear was the workmen banging away and people chatting out in the reception area. These rooms should be moved as the whole idea of the treatment is meant to be completely uninterrupted and relaxing. The changing rooms are very poor withonly two showers and no private changing area. Both shower curtains are hanging off the poles, the shower that I used was broken and wouldn't secure high enough and just kept sliding down to a low level. There was no shower gel or shampoo provided, there were old metal lockers provided and these were all tatty and some of them not working properly, in as much as they were flimsy when locked - one good pull and you would be in to somebody's belongings! The jacuzzi was broken and had apparently been like that for around 6 weeks, the steam room looked rank and wasn't very hot so we both avoided that but the sauna was very nice - just like it should be. I ordered croque monsier for lunch with a side order of chips and by the time this was delivered it was cold and the cheese looked like it had congealed - this is what cheese looks like when it has been heated and then left to go cold! The chips were warmish and soggy - so I definitely wouldn't recommend the lunch. All in all not somewhere I would go back to again unless it had a major refurbishment - at the end of last year we went to the Spa at the Felbridge Hotel in East Grinstead, I would recommend the owners visit this for an indication of what a spa experience should be or visit the Spa at Centre Parcs - both places I would definitely visit again and again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SPHGC, Management Administrator at Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Whilst I am please that you enjoyed your treatments I am of course disappointed that your visit to Selsdon Park Hotel and Golf Club did not exceed your expectations in all areas. Please be assured that I will be addressing the issues you have raised with my Management Team to ensure that the appropriate action is taken. In the meantime I would like to thank you for your comments which allow us to monitor that the high standards we strive to are maintained and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here and used one of the rooms for my father's wedding reception. Lovely setting for wedding photo's and the location if you play golf and that's it!
To sum it up - Poor standards of service, rooms need serious attention, cleaning is below standard. Very Disappointing its not 4* more like 2-3 its not a spa either facilities are in serious need of attention and seems to be a common complaint on here even as far back as 2010! Shame could be a very good hotel, Would certainly avoid unless you're desperate for a room for the night!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SPHGC, General Manager at Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest
I am disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion and please be assured that the issues you have raised will be addressed.
I believe that we have been in touch with you and father directly to address the issues you have raised and that this has been resolved. Of course we are happy to discuss this further if you wish to.

Been to Selsdon Park Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!