“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is excellent value for money and very close to Croydon Town Centre. I booked this hotel after trying to book a few nights at the Croydon Hilton but there was no availability. The Hilton site referred me to this hotel and it was a pleasant surprise and excellent value for money. Very clean, decent space and breakfast is included in the price. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Stockton on Tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife & I had a 3 night midweek break at this hotel, which for £342 for the two of us (including breakfast on 3 mornings) I thought was very good value, compared with hotels in central London, which would be much more expensive.
The staff at reception & the breakfast area were extremely polite and helpfull, and most welcoming.
The location is good, being only less than 10 minutes walk (with luggage) from East Croydon railway station. Regular fast trains are available from here to Victoria station in Central London (about 20 minutes journey), or from East Croydon to London Bridge/St Pancras International - no changes - in 15 to 25 minutes. West Croydon railway station (again, about 10 minutes walk from the hotel) serves more the City/East London area with London Overground trains.
The double room at the rear of the hotel was well furnished, clean & comfortable with adjustable heating controls. The bathroom, although maybe small by some hotels standards was immaculately finished, very clean and compact, with an excellent shower, and gels,etc, supplied in wall mounted containers.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay, would do it again.

Room Tip: Room at the rear is quiet, if you dont mind the view of "office blocks".
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolwezi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night as a reward stay from Hilton Honours. The hotel is quite new and modern.

The rooms were comfortable and ok sized. The bed was comfortable and the air con worked well.

The breakfast was appetising, if a little chaotic with so many people scrambling for it.

The hotel is very conveniently located only 3 or 4 minutes from East Croydon station by foot.

I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karachi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a great stay, good people, good service, will deft stay again. The rooms were comfortable, had free wifi and breakfast and the breakfast was amazing. would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in central location as all public transport was easily available.

Room Tip: The higher the better..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for one Saturday night. We flew into London early and they let us have room early (11am) when the normal check in time was 3 pm. So a good start! Both my wife and I were given a swipe card which did everything including opening our room and the hotel front door after 10 pm. The room was modern, clean and well designed with a flat screen TV that worked. There was free wifi and also ethernet access in our room. The bathroom and shower were reasonably spacious and well designed. The Shower was great, it was large and very easy to use with adjustable pressure. We had a good nights sleep with no disturbances, not bad for a Saturday night. A very good self service breakfast with huge choice including bacon, egg, sausage, beans, toast, hash browns, muffins, cereals to mention a few! The hotel is a five minute walk from East Croydon station which gives direct access to Gatwick airport and central London.
This is the best value hotel at £113 per night for two that we have found in London.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hotel small, but nice. Kinda crazy sliding door covers either a tiny closet of the bathroom door entrance and you can't turn on the light in the bathroom from inside the bathroom, so anyone sleeping is disturbed by the light coming on. Also, not enough room for two people to get dressed in bedrooom at same time.
However....
Immaculate rooms (but small, and I mean stub your toe on the bed frame small). Breakfast good. Great TV. Friendly and cheerful staff. Small lobby area and up until late evening, you can order sandwiches, drinks. A quick train ride to Victoria station with several trains a day. Arriving at the train station, you can see the hotel about a block and a half away.
I was not crazy about the commute to London....you have to buy a ticket that is good for crossing 5 zones, and each zone increases the price. HOWEVER.....the hotel was 1) air conditioned 2) had ice for the asking 3) is soooo clean and 4) has a nice staff. So I would stay there again.
Be sure you know which Cloydon station to disembark from the train into. There are two different Cloydon stations, East and West, I believe.
The restaurant does not have a business center, which I found odd, so if you want to print something, you have to go elsewhere or ask the busy staff to help you with the computers at the check-in desk.
We were flying out of Heathrow and asked the desk to call a cab company. They called an outfit named Station Cabs. I made sure before we left the parking lot that the driver and I had agreed on the price, but when we got to the destination, he told me it would cost more because of our larger suitcases and for our use of a credit card. I told him we had reported we had four bags and no one asked what size and I would not pay additional. By then, he had my credit card and would not return it and we argued for an hour. He used the "f" word several times and asked me how old I was (65) and told me he is young and strong. He also told me he was fasting for religious purposes, which had nothing to do with anything and I wondered why a man who is supposed to be spiritual uses the "f" word.
So, be warned.
Only one block from the hotel is a city bus that winds around and ends at Heathrow and it would be cheap to ride, but it would take a long time to get to the airport....however, if I could do it over, I would do that and avoid high-strung, ill-willed cab drivers.
Pease understand that has everything to do with the Station Cabs and nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel was pleasant, clean, and had a cordial and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

5-day break as a birthday treat. Can't fault the hotel. It was clean, room serviced daily, free breakfast was more than acceptable, staff really friendly and helpful. Close to main railway station (about 3-4 mins on foot). This will drop to 1-2 minutes when new walkway opens at the end of the year. Room big enough for us with space well laid out.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton by Hilton London Croydon? Share your experiences!