“Don't expect sleep staying here” 2 of 5 stars

The Lansdowne Hotel Croydon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Lansdowne Road, Croydon CR9 2BN, England   |
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Croydon
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Don't expect sleep staying here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My partner and I booked a double room for 1 night whilst working in Croydon. I thought we had got a good deal taking into consideration the 'spa' facilities. How wrong i was. Where do I start? on the plus the room was clean.
I have a small van which could not fit under the 'hotel's' discounted NCP car park barrier which incidently is the lowest barrier I have ever seen at a max height of 6' ! We then spent 20 mins driving round trying to find a parking space for the night, eventually the receptionist advised of a car park in a nearby shopping centre a 5 minuite walk from the hotel ! at the bargain price of £17 for the night ! Our room was tiny with a 3/4 NOT double bed ! bearing NO likeness to the 'double' rooms on the hotel website. It was that small there was less than 2' clearance from the end of the bed to the wall. By now it was 8 pm and we were to weary to complain. We decided to 'relax' in the spa. Something my partner and I now regret as I fear she will be permenantly scarred with the memory of not only the 'dirty' facilities but the site of an asian man walking around in his under pants and vest from sauna to steam rooms !! Hardly from my experience, what one would expect from a 'spa' hotel !
We decided to except our fate and have a meal in the restaurant and try to get some sleep. Even that it appears is beyond this hotel's capability as the 'restauraunt' is not open in the evenings !! the receptionist offered us some local take away menus to order in a meal ! We joined our fellow guests in the 'restaurant' who were also awaiting various 'deliveries' of tasty local delicacies from curry to pizza !! After eating our luke warm pizza delivery we retired to our room, only to notice that we were next to the main road which was very noisy all night. topped off with no air con in a small stuffy room and a small bed that made strange 'squeeky' noises at every movement we were deprived of anything which resembled sleep !
I absolutely would not recommend this hotel. For a hotel claiming that the normal price for our room would have been a staggering £150,oo I would not even compare the rooms to the same quality as a normal budget option such as travelodge.

Room Tip: Book at another Hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This hotel is very central - between the station and the shopping centre. I booked a room through lastminute when there was chaos with public transport and I decided to stay in Croydon rather than do battle with the trains.

I booked the last room available at £60, and was assigned an executive suite - which had a very large and very comfortable bed, sofa, desk and flat screen TV. So good value for Croydon.

My room was on the 4th floor. Apparently those on the 2nd floor have been refurbished. My room was fine, although the bathroom could have done with an update - esp the shower (which was not as powerful as most hotel showers). But, it was good value.

The coffee shop on the corner seems to be part of the hotel, and you can get breakfast there (although it may not be open weekends).

The lack of facilities is the only reason that I haven't given a higher rating.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor - those rooms have been refurbished.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The room was quite small but was well equiped for a nights stay. Very clean and newly refurbished. Bed was very comfortable and there were toiletries in the bathroom. Staff were very pleasent. A good place for a 1 or 2 night stay. Will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011 via mobile

This is a very basic, no frills hotel. It has no facilities whatsoever, so if you are hungry or thirsty forget it! Even the bottled drinks machine was out of order. Small pokey rooms with no air con and the noise from the fans in the office next door makes it sound like Heathrow. If you can avoid this place, please do and book yourself in to Jury's opposite. Better still, avoid Croydon altogether.

• Stayed October 2011
Carlos G, Manager at The Lansdowne Hotel Croydon, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear Stevehg1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to Lansdowne Hotel. I was sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that were not to our normal high standards.

I would like to thank you for your feedback as all comments are very important as it does enable us to put corrective measures in place and rest assured that all your comments have been taken on board.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback which helps me to continue to improve our product and service delivery to all our customers. I do hope to be able to welcome you back at the Lansdowne hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Carlos Gomes
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed two night on business in September. The hotel has a good location for Croydon centre but can be difficult to find if you are driving due to the tram and bus restrictions on some roads. There is no car park and the multi-story car park is a little way, making carrying a lot of luggage is a nuisance. Staff are friendly, but reception service can be slow. The double room was clean but very small -obviously a larger room cut in two, but the bathroom was a generous size. Horrible views - the room looked directly at an office block window just a few yards away. You may find noise from adjacent rooms a nuisance as the walls are thin. The internet connection wasn't working during my stay. No meals were available - you can get a voucher for breakfast at the Jury's hotel across the road and pay £7. There are plenty of places to get an evening meal in town, but seek advice. I thought the room rate too expensive for what you get and will be staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with good desk space, but neither materialised.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Burnhambert

Thank you for taking the time to write the review regarding your recent stay. I was glad to hear that you found your room clean and enjoyed having a large bathroom and friendly reception team.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer you my sincere apologies for not having an internet connection which I am pleased to say that our system has been upgraded and is now fully operating and free to all our guests. I have passed on your comments regarding your room to my team to ensure your room view would be different on your next visit and we are currently refurbishing our coffee shop and soon will be able to offer breakfast at the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you back to the Lansdowne Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Carlos Gomes
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

Central to Croydon central, recently refurbished.
Plenty of amenities. There is a 24 hour NCP carpark within 50 metres.
Easy ten minute walk from East Croydon station.
Only critiscism is the noise of the passing trams which starts at a very ungodly hour!
Shame the refurb did not include triple glazing .

• Stayed September 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms for 1 night. Arrived before we could check-in so left luggage & advised the reception we would return late that eve to which they 'joked' we won't sell your room. Prior to arrival we had a call confirming our booking that morning.

On return at midnight we went to collect our room keys, our luggage was behind reception in clear view. After a brief time the night receptionist informed us our rooms were double booked due to a computer error, not the best news late at night. Despite our luggage being there, the Landsdowne had not attempted to find alternative accommodation nor leave a message.
After mire than an hour (now 1.30am) of waiting in reception we were told we could stay at there sister hotel in Lewes - approx 30mins from our home which wasn't acceptable! The only option we could take was at a holiday inn and 4 adults had to squeeze into one room for the remainder of the night - approx 4hrs due to the issues!
Hotels do overbook, but to not have an apology let alone the chance to speak to the manager was unacceptable. Unfortunately we can not leave any positive reviews after such a bad experience and still await some sort of acknowledgement from the hotel

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Lansdowne Hotel Croydon? Share your experiences!