“tired and in desperate need of refirbishment to the rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Croydon
Hastings, United Kingdom
“tired and in desperate need of refirbishment to the rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here just before Christmas and was hugely disappointed at the hotels demise. I have used this hotel sporadically most of my life and used to be one of the poshest hotels in the area but now is just tired with no investment at all to the rooms as far as I can see. it definitely does not deserve its 4* rating at the moment. the rooms are old with cold draughty windows with no maintenance having been done so have big gaps to the frames. the whole look of the room is very 80's and so so tired. the bathroom is very average and the shower we had leaked terribly. I would say this hotel is ok if you were expecting an average 3* hotel but nothing more. definitely have had better rooms at a premier inn. we ordered room service which they tried everything to dissuade us from ordering but when we insisted, it still hadn't turned up 50mins later! I rang a few times and kept being told it was on its way. in the end I cancelled it and went to bed. I wouldn't mind but it was only 2 cheese sandwiches so nothing difficult at all. again not at all what you expect from a 4*. when I complained in the morning, they just refunded my parking of £5 which I couldn't believe they were charging guests in the first place. what a shame, it used to be a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
croydonpark, Marketing Executive at Clarion Collection Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear joanne h,

Thank you for your review.

I have taken your comments on board. I do apologise that your stay was not up to standards.

I must apologise about the room service, and we have had a chat with F&B manager who will be looking into it personally.

We have been charging for car park and it also states on our website regarding the charges

Marketing Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Greek first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The room was old-fashioned and had a distinct fusty smell; also the two rooms we occupied next to one another, gave all parties a very bad night sleep, as outside both windows was a constant dripping caused by probably poor maintenance and made us all feel as if we were in a Chinese torture room, rather than a four-star hotel... Combine this with being disturbed further by the fire alarm going off and been told by reception it was nothing to worry about! Only to open the door again when the fire alarms re-sounded, to see smoke and a screaming resident running down the corridor was a little scary… However, we were sort of reassured by members of staff telling us to go back into our room as everything was ok what a little bit disconcerting! Nobody came back to see us or had the common courtesy to check we were alright when we went down for breakfast or checked out. Having raised my concerns when checking out the gentleman simply smiled and showed no understanding of my concerns… but thought he was being very very kind by knocked £5.00 parking off my bill!

Is this good customer service? I’ll leave that to you to decide…

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor bedrooms. at the back of the hotel if it's raining....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Harryfromsheff,

Thank you for your review.

I was informed that our Operations Manager contacted you to discuss the matter further and has explained you the reasons for the water dripping and the reason for the Fire alarm going off.

We do hope you come again to see us and except our sincere apology for the service we provided on your stay.

Solihull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Very reasonably priced however much of the hotel is looking a little worn and could do with some refurbishment.

I have stayed twice for business and the free wi-fi was welcome as was the fantastic showers. The rooms are all large and facilities are very good however it did feel dated despite being spotless.

The bar food was satisfactory although nothing special however all staff members were very pleasant and the service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chris_OH,

Thank you for your review.

We have taken your comments on board, as well as we are in process of launching our New Menu by the end of February which focuses on Flavours of the world and healthy options.

Hope you will come again.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked this hotel for one night as it had a perfect location, had a pool and spa and for the great price. Was very happy when I got to the hotel - the lobby is very comfortable and newish looking and the staff were friendly and booked us into our room quickly. The room given to us (no 237) was very clean and big with everything you needed (apart from a robe and slippers, although you can get this for a supplement).

The only downside for my stay (and the reason for 3 stars), is that although the bedding was very comfortable, I booked a king size bed, but actually got 2 single mattresses pushed together which kept moving throughout my whole night and made my sleep very uncomfortable. Several times through the night there was a huge gap between the two which we had to keep getting up to push back together.
The room and bathroom was quite dated (old carpets and furniture), but because of the great price I couldn't complain.

It is important to note that although MY room was dated, the hotel has a refurbished '5th floor' with the corridors and bedrooms given a modern and fresh makeover - but of course this came at an increased price.

I did get to use the pool was was nice and warm (especially for a rainy day in Jan), but was very small and essentially a large room with the gym right next to the pool. The jacuzzi was closed for cleaning so I didn't get to try that. They have separate saunas for men and women which I tried and are good for the purpose. The spa was closed as it was a bank holiday, so was disappointed we couldn't use the spa facilities.

I did not eat in the hotel this stay, but would definently get room service or eat at their bar or restaurant on my next stay.

Overall I would definently stay here again, but would check the bed situation as I would not want that bed again!

Room Tip: Book for 5th floor for a modern and updated room and shower.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mashanna S,
Thank you for your review.

Thank you for your comments, I have taken notes on those things which you pointed out.

I do apologise if your bed was not comfortable, if we had been made aware of this situation we would have been happy to change you to another room with a King size bed.

I have made a note on your profile that the next time you come and stay with us that you will get a King size bed.

I would suggest you try our 5 course Gourmet Buffet in Oscars Brasserie or if you prefer a snack we have our Whistlers bar which is open till late, which portrays the flavours of the World.

We hope to see you soon again.

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Reception experience was excellent, hello and a smile and efficient. New'ish refurb in reception pleasant to the eye.
Room 538 on the Exec floor was large and well presented, but, freezing cold. Heating system was archaic, the blower would take the curtains off the far window, and , blew cold as well as warm.
Shower - turn taps on then sing whilst you wait for the water to arrive, when it arrives it's a dribble.
Television - no controls to be found so tried to switch on from side buttons. Couldn't get it to work for anything. Evening of Xmas Day and no tele!
No wifi, couldn't get connected on IPad or Kindle.
Bed was comfortable.
Somehow I cannot accept that the hotel was full that night, it certainly did not look full, so why were we stuck in that room, surely reception staff are made aware of problems with certain rooms.
I did report the issues to staff when we left.
I'm fairly sure that this hotel (we have stopped in before on a number of occasions) says its a 4*.
By the way, the location of this hotel is excellent for travelling to London and or say Gatwick.

Room Tip: Ask if room can be changed if not up to standard!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
croydonpark, Marketing Executive at Clarion Collection Croydon Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear 151Mike151,

Thank you for reviewing us.

I am happy to hear you had a good welcoming into the hotel.

The heaters are not switched on unless you switch it on when you arrive to your room as part of our “Going Green System". If you do come again please let us know and I can arrange for housekeeping to leave the heating on before you arrive.

Please let us know if you have any issues with your room and we will be happy to assist you in whichever way we can.

I must say some guests have a problem connecting to our Wifi if their cookies are not switched on, but we can always help you with that.

I can assure you that if we knew the problems which were in your room we would be happy to move you to another room.

I agree with your statement “Ask if room can be changed if not up to standard" We are always here to help and to make your stay the most pleasant.

We hope to see you again soon.

Tenterden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel prior to a company do on the 13th December.
The hotel is well decorated and the room was really cosy. Location is a massive plus as we were In London in less than 20 mins. We didn't eat here this time but will defiantly try the food next time. Lots of facilities at the hotel but once again did not get the time to sample. Overall a very pleasant hotel and very well priced.

Room Tip: The bar is very reasonably priced and open late
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark L,

Thank you for reviewing us.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I would recommend you try our restaurant buffet or a la carte. Also our Leisure Club is a big plus, there is nothing better than relaxing when travelling.

We hope you will come again and enjoy the rest of our facilities.

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Croydon Park is a very straight forward hotel. I booked through Hotels and got a price of approx £55 a night, which for a London Hotel, (it is very close to the station and a short train ride into Victoria ) Is excellent value especially as the Hotel has a nice pool too.
However I would not be chuffed to be paying the published rate card of £200 +
Good service, but not memorable, clean smart rooms but nothing to write home about, so I won't.
Would I stay again, yes, would I rush back probably not.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear UKAbroad_Shop_Online,

Thank you for reviewing us.

We are a well-placed hotel in the area and we are the only hotel in the local area with a Leisure Club, some of the days we do get overly busy and prices go up just like any hotel either in the local area and in central London.

We are not based on price, we are based on quality and customer service, I do hope you saw that with us and that you will come to stay with us again if you are coming to the local area.

We hope to see you soon.

Many Thanks

Been to Clarion Collection Croydon Park Hotel? Share your experiences!