“"Service with a smile". I think not!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

You added Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club to your Saves list
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coulsdon Court Rd, Old Coulsdon, Croydon CR5 2LL, England   |
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Croydon
London, United Kingdom
“"Service with a smile". I think not!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Have just spent night at this hotel. I have been here long ago but the hotel would have appeared to have changed hands since I was last here and now belongs to 'Bespoke'. But it is anything but bespoke.It seems to have gone downhill slightly. I got a frosty welcome from the receptionist, so cold. she timed it well with the recent heatwave. I received no information on breakfast so I ended up going without. I assumed there was a restaurant, not because I saw it nor did the receptionist say there was one but only because she asked "D'you want to pay upfront for food and drink?" Not a very 'bespoke' way of dealing with things. I disagree with this system anyway. in a hotel one should settle the restaurant and other bills on leaving.We are not all crooks! we're not all trying to rush off without paying. If this has happenend it is hardly surprising. This morning I was left standing around reception waiting to hand back my key and to see if I needed to sign anything, but no receptionist. There did not appear to be a bell either. So I waited and waited and surprise surprise the same frosty receptionist from the evening before came out. no apology for keeping me waiting. Other gripes are I needed disable parking which I managed to get but the other space was occupied by a car without a badge.the hotel take car reg numbers so they should survey this. It was made worse by the fact that the car was badly parked so when in the other space I could not completely open my car door.So beware people with mobility problems!! Added to this, the lift was not working. I was put on the second floor!!!! To be fair the frosty receptionist did offer help with my bags and to move me to a twin on the first floor but I needed a double.The plug was also coming apart on the kettle(minor thing but could be dangerous). the main plus was that the room was very clean

Room Tip: No aircon but there are fans. be aware if you have mobility problems that there do not appear to be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I can't comment on the decor in the bedrooms and the reception area and public areas do need some updating but as a venue for a wedding ceremony and party this was a really good choice.The ceremony and reception rooms were bright, comfortable and welcoming, the food was excellent, tasty and hot when it should be hot, the staff were polite, helpful and unobtrusive which is a desirable combination not often achieved. Malcolm had everything happening when and how it should happen and we felt very well looked after. I would recommend this for a wedding or any family and friends type party where comfort and informality along with good food are the main requirements for a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We held a charity golf day in aid of Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital for the second time this year and have to commend Malcolm and his staff on their fast, friendly and efficient service throughout the day and evening. The hotel, which has plenty of parking, is in a lovely setting with greenery and well tended flowers and plants as far as the eye can see.
A very tasty cooked breakfast met guests upon arrival, who then had time to enjoy the courtyard setting before the matches began.
The same courtyard was the meeting point in the afternoon, where drinks were enjoyed before an excellent dinner for nearly ninety people in the main restaurant. The food was expertly cooked and served piping hot by the ever obliging waiter and waitresses.
Festivities continued afterwards in the convivial bar and courtyard.
At all times the bar staff made everyone feel welcome and served us efficiently and with good humour.
A number of people stayed overnight and whilst agreeing with some other reviews that the hotel in part is showing it's age, my wife and I were lucky enough to stay in the Highgrove Suite, which we felt oozed old-fashioned style and elegance.
Yes, the shower was not very powerful and it lacked air conditioning but we have never visited a hotel yet where we've felt the need to remain cooped in a room for any longer than is necessary. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and the suite, complete with sitting room, was very clean and well laid out.

Having been a former resident of Old Coulsdon for twelve years and a visitor to this hotel on numerous occasions, I would say the owners have definitely raised the bar both in the kitchen and front of house and it is a genuine four star hotel. This is in no small part due to to Malcolm and his extremely well motivated staff. A sincere thank you to him plus Valentina, Aubrey, Kate, Gerry, Paul, Laura, Regina, James, Kyle, May, Sara, Glenn and Emily plus the chefs and kitchen staff.

I strongly recommend that you visit this hotel, if only to enjoy the scenery and sample the cuisine.

Room Tip: Choose the Highgrove, if it is in your budget
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding on 11th & 12th July. Our room was ok but the bathroom in urgent need of upgrading. My friend (the bride) stayed in the Highgrove Suite which was beautiful. We did have a lovely view of the golf course. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning and as the windows only open slightly the room was very warm. Lift was out of order but numerous staff offered to carry our luggage for us. Service from staff was excellent. They were all extremely helpful and friendly. The garden was lovely and the flowers well tended and beautiful. The club sandwich comes highly recommended. I would suggest the young ladies on the bar have some training as they filled my glass with ice and mixer without asking and this is not what I wanted. Overall though a nice experience at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to rubbish strewn across the front of entrance which was still there the next morning.
Ordered room service breakfast and the wrong order was delivered, the kitchen refused to come back up, receptionist tried to sort out, it took 25 minutes for correct order to arrive.
Room grubby and dusty, shower control knob covered in long ingrained dirt, net curtain in room was dark grey and stiff as was so dirty, lift out of order with paper signs dangling off of the doors drunkenly declaring it was 'out of order'. Cushions stained and smelling grubby.
Food average - pasta with tomato sauce was some pasta drowned in a stock of tinned tomatoes and onion - Yuk. Veggie burger however was ok.
In short - I would not return, a premier inn was cleaner a staff more helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed one night on business. Room at back - excellent setting overlooking the golf course. Hotel in general is in need of redecoration. Looking tired for a 4 star. Generaly lacked the wow factor to distinguish it from a 3 star. Lift broken down, but exercise to the 3rd floor didn't do me any harm! Reception did offer to take baggage upstairs.
Bathroom clean, but again in need of redecoration. Nothing made it standout from a good 3 star hotel.
Reception staff friendly & helpful. Had meal in bar - section with tables to create small informal restaurant. Good service - with tasty menu choice. Quality of food good & well presented. Priced £21.95 reasonable for evening meal.
Breakfast good choice in main restaurant. Buffet style. Tables well spaced.
Overall, can't complain for £85 B&B. Once refitted, this could be an absolute gem - much of it is right - just the decor!

The Heart of England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here last week for a birthday celebration. The staff, food, bars and public areas are excellent. However the rooms are in desperate need of upgrading. The sash window wouldn't stay open on the hottest day of the year. The room upstairs bath\sink overflowed through an outlet into our bath - nice! The wallpaper was coming away from the walls and a pleasant little note on the bedside table reminded you to call 4002 for reception, but there was no phone.

With a little investment this place would be a gem.

Ok for £90/night b&b.

Good golf course on site.

Room Tip: If you want a lie in ask for a room that doesn't overlook the 1st tee (noisey golfers like me) A...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nigel W, General Manager at Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I thank you for your constructive review. In taking the time in providing us with your feedback, you allow us the opportunity to improve our performance before your next stay.

I have discussed the maintenance related points with my team and the telephone is being replaced, along with the plumbing defects. Clearly an embarassment for us with you not being able to call reception as recommended by the room information. The overall service score provides great encouragement towards personal performance within the front of house teams and will motivate their steady improvement even further.

We are extremely passionate about our hospitality provided to our guests here at The Coulsdon Manor Hotel and with remedial investment into the development of our teams and ongoing attention towards the general upkeep of the hotel, our future standards will hopefully encourage guest loyalty within what is a highly competitive market.

Thank you once again for your feedback and if you would like to discuss anything further with me on a personal level, please call my direct line.

Nigel Walker
The Coulsdon Manor Hotel & Golf
Tel: 0208 668 0414 (extn; 4447)

Been to Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club? Share your experiences!