“Very Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club

You added Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club to your Saves list
Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coulsdon Court Rd, Old Coulsdon, Croydon CR5 2LL, England   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Croydon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We arrived at 13.30 with two people at reception - we were greeted but then they started there own conversation about the delivery of wine and beer - had it arrived?After they finished we were booked in and handed the room keys. The room was not ready in fact in a state of being cleaned with dirty lined outside the room, we decided to wait to see how long it would be. The supervisor Maria apologised and explained the keys should not be handed out and would speak to reception. I went to reception and faced with no apology and a shrug of the shoulders gave no confidence of customer service training as we were not considered as it being an issue. When we did get in the room the phone did not work and a drip drip shower. I called reception from my mobile to ask for the duty manager to register my disappointment with the arrival and issues with the room and as soon as I said about the phone told it could be the line - I suspect this was already known. Maria came to the rescue to help and eventually we were moved. The food was first rate and the only thing going for the place. The decor has seen better times and its a sad place to stay and lost its reputation of being a true manor. Without the supervisor the place would be in a worse state

Room Tip: If there is a party on do not go for rooms near the restaurant
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Twickenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Luxurious rooms, elegant surroundings.
We came here for a business seminar. It was very comfortable with professional service
The wallpaper was peeling a bit, but the coffee and croissants were great
and if you fancy a round golf this is the place

Room Tip: You will need SatNav and a bit of luck to find the place, there are no signs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Walsall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I planned a trip for my wifes birthday and foound Coulsdon to be handy for all our excursions into London and Southampton.
We arrived at about 1100pm to be greeted by the night porter who we nicknamed Mr Happy. Everything seemed too much trouble for him, even tuting that we had arrived at such late an hour.
Breakfast was first cless and the breakfast staff very happy and polite.
Evening meal on the first night, the friday took 1 1/2 hours from order to arrive at the table. The starter and main arrived at the same time?????? the sweet arrived cold. when it was sent back it came back to the table 20 minutes later having been microwaved and tasted like cardboard. i asked for a fresh sweet and was told it was to late as the kitchens had closed.
Saturday evenings meal was not much better. Having waited an hour for the food, the soup was cold and the meat, oxtail was very fatty and stringy. The best part was the cheese and soggy crackers.
The rooms were good but very very tired and outdated. The communial carpets were threadbear and wall lights at a great head hitting height. (ouch).
On check out I was charged £18.00 extra, one bar bill for £8.00. (alway paid for my drinks and no tab could be produced) and £10.00 for a dinning fee. (again a tab they could not produce).
The fitness centre was a walk across a dark car park (they refused to switch on the car park lighting as not cost effective). The 'girl' in the centre was unhelpfull and the steam room was out of action as was the main gym area. total waste of time
In short a very tired hotel, with miserable staff (with very few exceptions) and a very very poor service.
Would not recommend this to anyone, expecialy a friend. Try the travel lodge instead

Room Tip: Best tip is not to stay here
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at Coulsdon Manor because friends were having a party there. We booked two adjoining rooms for the five of us. I stay in hotels around the UK quite regularly so always find myself comparing prices and standards. This hotel represents really poor value. The bedrooms badly need refurbishing - old chipped/rusty baths, really grubby shower, the paintwork is old and yellowing and the radiators incredibly noisy. The spare bed for one of my kids was so uncomfortable he slept on the floor (the mattress was falling apart). The lamp in one bedroom was broken so we had very little light. None of this is an exaggeration - It was grim for any price but for £90 per room (inc breakfast), so £180 for the 2 adults and three children, we would have expected much much, more.

The common areas were very tired looking too. The public ladies toilets were either out of order or the door locks were almost hanging off. Breakfast was pretty good though - one saving grace. I got the impression that Oxford Inns only care about income from functions and conferences and bother very little about the quality of accomodation. over all hotel seems to be going to rack and ruin..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Coulsdon Manor hotel. I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I don’t think anyone would disagree that the Coulsdon Manor is in need of refurbishment and I can assure you that the owners of the property would like nothing more than to see it restored to it’s former glory.
Oxford Hotels and Inns unfortunately inherited a portfolio of properties that require considerable investment. This investment has continued across our estate in every single property, despite a downturn in business over the past couple of years. There is an ongoing programme of investment across the portfolio and, whilst I am sure you will appreciate the difficulties the current economic climate presents, this programme is continuing.
Health and safety concerns and compliance with statutory laws have had to take precedent, of which I am sure you would agree. Though this involves considerable expense, the works completed are unfortunately not always visible to our customers and every pound spent on essential maintenance is a pound not spent on furniture, paint, fabrics etc. but as I say, the process is ongoing and improvements are being made daily.

Neil Wheeler
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Booked into the Coulsdon Manor and for the price we paid was not expecting too much, we were pleasantly surprised, the staff were friendly and the rooms large comfortable and warm. It was a little tired in places , but on the whole good value for money. We had the evening meal which was reasonably priced and very good. Very quiet hotel and the views around the golf course lovely,the breakfast the following morning was very good, and plently of it. If I was in the area again I would stay there if we got the same deal again.

Room Tip: We were on second floor and it was very quiet and had a lovely view over golf course
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Coulsdon Manor Hotel. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. We are progressing with our Autumn / Winter maintenance programme which will address the tired areas of the hotel, so I am sure on your next visit we will have improved again!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Plenty of parking, met by friendly staff, I had a double en suite room, big with very nice furniture & decor, bath over shower. Everything you could ask for, mashing stuff, hair dryer, iron & board, breakfast is spot on with loads to choose from, can't fault this place at all, would recommend to one and all,,,,

• Stayed November 2012
OHIML, General Manager at Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Coulsdon Manor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and passed your comments onto the team who were equally as pleased. We always appreciate feedback on tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to Coulsdon Manor in the near future.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked Coulsdon Manor for a golf weekend away. I would definitely give points for the food and the golf course. The hotel and service does not match up to the quality of food served at this hotel.

Everything else was below average. Whilst all staff were pleasant and helpful, it was evident that they have not received adequate training or leadership and this shows through their less than professional service. The hotel manager was also not very professional, helpful but once again evident that he does not have adequate training or leadership to manage his team in the way a 4* hotel needs to run.

Rooms were standard but the heating in the hotel was turned up and there was no air con so we were hot and bothered. Check-out was not smooth, they double charged us for the room and whilst standing there querying the bill, there were 3 other irate people at the desk. Really not a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I was quite concerned to read your comments regarding your stay at Coulsdon Manor, the service of my team and your opinion of my management team. Unfortunately from your review I cannot establish when you stayed at the hotel for me to investigate, therefore I would certainly urge you to contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your comments in detail. Please call 020 8668 0414 and ask for myself.
Regards,
Neil Wheeler

Been to Coulsdon Manor & Golf Club? Share your experiences!