“Great Start to a European Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Croydon
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Start to a European Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a late review due to time. I stayed at the Hilton Croydon in July 2013.

The Hilton Croydon is a hidden secret. Normally when I stayed in the UK, I stayed at the Hilton Terminal 4 and 5. Both are great hotels and a short distance from the Airport. I had my family with me on this trip and I wanted them to experience a little more of the culture and the Hilton Croydon is just that. It took about 45 minutes from Heathrow to get to the Hotel. Upon our arrival, we noticed a Pizza Hut, McDonalds, and a TGIFridays adjacent to the hotel and across the street. We arrived earlier than normal check-in time and the Front Desk Manager (Dariusz Przybylo) allowed us to keep our Luggage in a secure area in the office area while our room was getting prepared. We had a long flight and did not get breakfast so we went to McDonalds. When our room was ready, the hotel staff took our luggage to our room for us and we checked in with no problems. The entire front desk staff really my family feel welcome and at ease as it was their first time in the UK. Although other reviews indicated that the rooms are dated, which I would agree, but not in a negative way. I have stayed on other hotels (non-chain) hotels throughout the UK and this one make me feel like I was in a UK hotel not just another Hilton Hotel. The room was nice and clean. I was able to request a Fridge.

As far as the room is concerned, there were only two items that I would recommend that the hotel consider invest in room where they can place a microwave and spa. Most of the restaurants close early and if you get in late and don't have time to get to the restaurants, its hard getting a hot meal late in the evening. I do understand that the rooms are older and possibly fire codes would prevent getting microwaves in every room, but if there was a way the hotel could make a room that could be converted to a kitchen type area were microwaves would be available, perhaps they could find a way meet the local fire code. We tried to get the restaurant to warm up some items that we had purchased but due to health codes, they were not allowed to do so.

There is a very nice work out area. With the nice equipment, it would be nice to have a spa (hot tub) where you could relax the muscles after a good work out. Even if a large one could not be put into the hotel, if a small one would be able to nice. As a Hilton, I would hope that someday they could work in a spa for the facility.

We had no problems connecting to the internet. Although there were not an abundance of TV stations, my family also enjoyed watching the selection of TV shows available as we got to see many UK based shows which were fun to watch. We found out that we had to screen the TV later in the evening as regular TV has some shows that in the US would only be allowed on the cable channels.

I had a rental car for most of our stay at the hotel. Parking was abundant and never had a problem parking at the hotel. Above all, parking was free which is nice when I had to pay almost 20 US dollars per night to park at the Hilton Terminal 4 and 5. When I turned in the rental car at Heathrow, I was able to take the Tube (changed trains once) and then the Train back to Croydon for about 15 British Pounds for 5 people which was reasonable. It took about 90 minutes total and was pretty easy to do. If you have luggage, I would recommend traveling via train during non rush hours as the tube gets pack

After we turned our rental car, the Hotel staff help us get around by ordering car services for us. Most Hiltons have their own vehicle to get guest to and from major public transportation areas. The Hilton Croydon had a car service that offered free service to the train station before 9am. After that it would cost about 5 to 10 pounds to travel to and from the train station. I would not recommend walking. It would take about an hour or so to walk to the station.

The Restaurant had a nice selection restaurant. Breakfast was especially plentiful. The restaurant was very nice and had a nice variety to choose from.

London was only about 2 train stops away from the Croydon Train Station. That was a blessing as the London Victoria Station was only a 16-minute ride from the Croydon Train station. The tube ride from Heathrow Terminal 4 and 5 was an hour each way to downtown London so this was definitely, nice.

As a Hilton Diamond, the amenities it would be nice to have either an executive lounge or happy hour where we could take advantage of some of the perks that we find in most Hiltons. However, the staff did provide me with 1 drink coupon at the bar.

Overall, the Croydon Hotel Hilton, I can honestly say that I would strongly recommend to anyone needing a "value for money" stop over within easy reach of London. The staff were courteous, helpful and always on hand to help us enjoy our stay. When requests were made, nothing was too much trouble to provide the service we required.

I would have given this hotel a 5 stars if they has unlimited free transportation to and from the train station (at least on a schedule), Had more perks similar to other Hiltons for Diamond and Gold members, and possibly a microwave where guest could warm up food. Finally, I would recommend more insulation for the windows as it was cooler and we could feel the breeze through the window and could hear the construction going on outside in the middle of the night. But again, for the price, It was worth the stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if traveling on a budget. Thanks again for making the start of my family vacation pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Derrick C
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was glad to read that you had a great start to your holiday.
Regarding the spa, unfortunately we had to close down the swimming pool and spa about 5years ago due to lack of use by guests and as you may be aware, these facilities are quite expensive to maintain. As for microwave provision, these are usually provided in self catering hotels.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast in our Larder Restaurant and found our hotel to be overall value for money. Thanks once again for taking the time to give a review.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night over a weekend at chessington with our young daughter. Car park is small, but free and right outside hotel and we easily found a space. Check in was very prompt and efficient. The hotel is nicely designed but the main drawback was the room itself. It was not what I would expect from a hilton. The room was dated and the furniture peeling in places. The shower too was in need of cleaning and updating, it has some black growth alongside it. We found that after showering the whole room became humid and damp. We were given a pull out single sofa for our daughter. Luckily for us she was always meant to sleep with us in the bed, as this pull out bed was thin and lumpy and would have been really uncomfortable. We couldn't imagine anyone getting any sleep on it. The TV was also old and dated and channels available didnt offer much at all. The breakfast was fantastic and highly recommended. Great service, a smart and tranquil setting and wonderful choice and standard of items.

• Stayed September 2013
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Harvey123456,

Thank you for your honest review of our Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed a great breakfast with a variety of choices and was able to make use of our complimentatry car parking facility..

I have noted your comments regarding the condition of the room. We have a number of ongoing projects underway to continually improve the condition of all areas of our building.
Once again thank you for taking the time to give a review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Excellent service at front desk , what a change to have a friendly face , room very good and breakfast choice really nice.
Arrived Sunday evening and the young lady on reception was so professional a real credit to the hilton group, is yay in a lot of hotels and this one has got to rate as one of the best.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Darren M,
Thanks for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to read that you had an excellent stay and found our staff to to be very friendly and helpful. Our aim is that oiur guests enjoy their stay and leave wanting to return.

regards
Titusville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was the last stop on our UK trip. As mentioned in my other Hilton reviews, I went with Hilton as a brand I could trust. This Hilton was a poor choice, however.

When I looked this one up while planning the trip they advertise as being very close to London. As our taxi driver mentioned when he was taking us to the hotel, it's essential on the edge of Croydon, which is about 20 minutes South of London. The maps made it look like you could walk to the train station from the hotel and be in London in 15 minutes. Not true. We paid a fair amount in taxi fair the four days we were there.

The staff also wasn't terribly knowledgeable. I was impressed when we arrived and the front desk gave us a free wifi code for the room. Unfortunately, the wifi in our room nor in the lobby worked. This is a big issue for people traveling from the States without an international data plan. When we asked the front desk where we could find a good pub, we received blank stares and some mumbling in return. Apparently, the nearest "pub" was a TGIFridays.

The facility itself was pretty spartan. There wasn't a vending machine or gift shop. There weren't any plugs near the bed so we had to plug our phones (aka alarm clocks) in across the room. The TV was very finicky and limited to about 8 channels.

The final straw was the 35 minute ride to the airport. This was advertised as being 15 minutes from Gatwick, which is why I chose it since we had an early afternoon flight home. Imagine my surprise when we were 35 minutes and 25 pounds later. This would have been a fine budget hotel, but it's not a Hilton.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Q99213,

Thanks for the review and I am sorry that we did not feel like a Hilton. We are proud to be part of the brand so I am sorry you felt let down.

Location seems to be a big feature of your review and I am sorry you felt this was not clear. The best guide to our location is the Hilton Website which I believe shows a clear map and correct transfer information. Victoria or London Bridge stations can be reached as quickly as 15 minutes from East Croydon so I believe we are a fantastic way to visit London without paying London prices. The Gatwick Express train can also be taken from East Croydon and takes 25-30 minutes. Taxi is probably the quickest way to reach the station although there is a great bus service from the Colonnade centre located behind the Hotel. We also run a complimentary shuttle to the station from 7-9am 5 days a week

I am disappointed you felt our team were not knowledgeable as this is an area we normally pride ourselves on. We offer complimentary WIFI in the lounge and a chargeable service in the room. Both systems are independent so it seems likely there was a some sort of compatibility issue with your computer. We use BT Open zone as a provider who provide a complimentary helpline for technical issues so I am sorry we were not aware of your connection difficulties.

Unfortunately we do not have a very local classic British pub to recommend but TGIs is one of the closest restaurants and further afield South Croydon offers a wealth of different cuisines.

We do have a vending machine located by the lifts to bedrooms and I agree that we could offer more plugs next to the bed and this is planned for the next hotel renovation.

Thank you for the your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectation on this trip.

bournemouth UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just returned from another week at what seems like my second home,arriving on Monday afternoon i am welcomed by a cheery hello Mr ********** WELCOME BACK!! After a swift check in i go to my room ,profile requests a 3rd floor room not near lifts ,exactly what i get .Bar service efficient and friendly.Rooms comfortable although some are looking a bit tired. Bar meals good selection and reasonably priced, breakfasts are good ,plenty of choice but pricey, restaurant for me is a let down ,my personal opinion is that the menu is very limited. Ideally placed if you want to explore London ,being 14 minutes away by train to tower bridge station.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing car park
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DRHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Croydon, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear wedge012,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was glad to read that you enjoy your stays with us and our hotel is like a second home to you. Our aim is to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and leave wanting to return and we are glad we have accomplished that with you.
Thanks once a gain for taking the time to leave your review.

regards

Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Booked online at short notice. Price was reasonable and location was good for what I needed which was just an overlay between business meetings. The welcome was a warm one and my room was comfortable.
Like other reviews, my room was dated and in need of a refurb, however, I slept well which was the main thing. I went out for dinner so didnt sample the restaurant or any of the other facilities available.
In the morning I had a breakfast to go bag waiting for me, which was fantastic as I had a 6.30am start so leaving before the restaurant opened for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Derar sargent0,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found us to be in the right location for you, reasonably priced, received a warm welcome and had a comfortable room.

Our staff are always on hand to assist i.e. with preparing a breakfast bag to go in the morning as you had to leave before breakfast began. We look forward to being of service to you again.

Thanks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel back in Spring, but it wasn't a great experience.
However, this time was great! The ladies on the front desk on the evening of 14/09 were really nice and friendly. One had phoned me earlier in day and she remembered my name which is always nice.
The room, a junior suite, was extremely spacious and very comfortable. The only downside was that the bed was a bit squeaky, but comfortable all the same.
We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning, it was excellent.
Based on this stay, we would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear jklondon_9,

Thanks for your review of our hotel. I am glad you had a much better experience during your recent stay with us. I am also glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and look forward to being of service to you in the future.

many thanks
David

Been to Hilton London Croydon? Share your experiences!