“Room For Improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Croydon
Derby England
“Room For Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Reviewed this hotel in October and this experience was similar. We arrived early and as usual check in was easy. We had requested adjoining rooms but as one of the rooms was still occupied, we were allowed access to one bedroom to freshen up and change (thanks to Isobel).

The purpose of this stay was a Saturday overnight stop before taking my sister and brother-in-law to Gatwick airport the next morning.
Obviously we had had checked out the Gatwick Hilton but the rate at Croydon (£64) for a twin or double room including a very good breakfast buffet for two adults including free parking was unbeatable anywhere. The drive to Gatwick on Sunday morning only took 20- 30 minutes and prior free use of the Business Centre for on line check in and printing boarding cards was invaluable.

As per my last stay, the observations are the same, e.g. £14.99 for wireless in the bedroom . I have seen from previous review responses that the hotel claim that this is down to BT and not them so I suggest talking to other hotels who provide free wi-fi everywhere and change their provider.

Ridiculous mark up of wines, beers and spirits which may not be a problem during the week as these are been mostly funded by Corporate coffers.

Surely the hotel could have a "happy hour" or something. I may be pushed to buy a bottle of wine for £10 (which I know costs £4.99 at the supermarket) but I will not pay £20 for said bottle of wine.

Requesting anything in you room takes a long time for service, if they turn up at all.

On this and my previous stay, I had booked two bedrooms, the second as a treat for my sister. On both occasions I have asked the hotel to only post the bill to my bedroom, in both cases they have not complied with presenting bills to the second bedroom that I would have liked to remain confidential (even though Isobel had expressedly added this to my account portfolio).

However, the weekend promotional rates are very hard to beat anywhere else and this coupled with free parking and a very good breakfast buffet will ensure my continuing return.

Room Tip: Bedrooms at the rear of the hotel are away from the trafiic noise of the busy A23 at the front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton Croydon, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Glenne_n

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. As a hotel we value our guest' positive and negative feedback as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guest’ needs and expectations..

Regarding your comment about the bar and cost of drinks, I am sure you will find that our prices are in line with the competition in the same area. Also we, like all other hotels charge for internet in the rooms but have complimentary access in the Business Centre and the lobby area for guests.

Please accept our apologies regarding the posting of the bill, our Front Office Manager has added your instructions regarding the billing to your profile and will ensure that there are no reoccurrences of this sort in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a suite booked the the New Years Eve night..our children ordered room service which was average. Our room was big and enough space for the four of us, plenty of towels but it is looking tired and run down. We attended the New Years Eve party which was a great night, food was ok but do you expect with hundreds attending. The breakfast the next morning was BUSY...not enough staff, not enough tables and not enough food...depending on what time you came down to breakfast.. We had a nice time but don't come here if you want a luxury stay!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton Croydon, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Robandand,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Hilton Croydon. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything to be okay.

Please accept our apologies regarding the delay during breakfast, there were quite a lot of guests who all decided to come down to breakfast at the same time.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Croydon in the near future.

yours sincerely
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked a Junior Suite on HH points and I'm not sure whether I was more annoyed because I'd blown a load of points or whether I'd have been more irritated had I have had to had paid for this stay.

The room, the 'Junior Suite' is not a Suite at all but just a very very large room and boy was it in bad shape.

I complained the moment we checked in (I'm HH Gold and stay a lot at Hilton's but had NEVER seen anything like this). The receptionist told me he could move me to another room but not a suite and if I didn't like it I could email the GM but I'd have to call to get his address.

We were attending a function locally and were late so just put up and shut up but I'll let the photos do the talking and leave it at that!

Frankly, the place needs bulldozing or at least a complete re-fit!

• Stayed September 2012
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton Croydon, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear JGX

Further to your recent stay here at the Hilton Croydon, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to give your comments on Trip Advisor. As a hotel we really value receiving both positive and negative feedback which allows us to focus on where further improvements and training may be needed.

Please accept our apologies for issues mentioned in your review, they are being addressed by our Maintenance department, who continue to prioritise major repairs as we work our way through the hotel dealing with the issues requiring attention. As I am sure you can appreciate this does take time and I am confident we will succeed in keeping up our services and standards here at the Hilton Croydon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your comments and do hope that this will not put you off staying with the Hilton Brand in the future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

With the option of three hotels to stay in for a wedding, we went for the Hilton, expecting high quality service and room.
What a joke....
The gentleman on reception who checked us in was fine, no issues there, however, the rest of the staff were lazy and uninterested, unhelpful and were overheard complaining about the large number of guests staying....
The room was dated, unattractive and falling apart, wallpaper peeling, carpet stained and with stains on the floor in the bathroom. The room itself was clean, but considering the lovely clean foyer, the room was a serious let down.
We didn't have breakfast, as this was then an additional £24 per couple!
This hotel lets down the Hilton name in a big way. I have stayed in nicer rooms in a premier inn, and next time, that's what I'll book.

Room Tip: Top tip - book the premier inn up the road, it'll be far nicer!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton Croydon, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Unsafe_destiny

I am sorry you felt that our staff came across as lazy and uninterested, as you will see from other reviews on Trip Advisor, our staff are always complimented as the most friendly and helpful. As for the cost of breakfast, I am sure you will find that we are competitively price with other hotels in the Croydon area.

I am sorry you feel that you would rather use the Premier Inn, thank you for your custom and once again for taking the time to provide your comments.

yours sincerely
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Late arrival on Sunday evening.
Rapid check in.
Lovely bar meal which was very good value.

Room was good typical 4 star Hilton really, clean and comfy.

Breakfast good with a quiet well Leo room.

All in all a good hotel

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Adamhutchy,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hilton Croydon. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from guests.

I was glad whilst reading your comments that overall you had a good stay and found our hotel to be great for business. Our aim at Hilton Croydon is to have our guests enjoy their stay and leave wanting to return.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide your comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I needed a hotel room for one night, in the Croydon area, where I was attending a company dinner. Having stayed at the Hilton before, I wanted to return, as it's close to the venue where the dinner was and one of the better hotels in the area. Prices seemed to have increase, as a room cost me £20 more than the last time I stayed at this location. Also, this Hilton has joined the ranks of hotels that are charging for wifi. I think that's attrocious, especaily when quoting £14.99. That's almost what I pay for a month of mobile broadband. In fact, I almost changed my mind about booking this property because of the charge, but then remembered that as I have mobile broadband, in the UK, I didn't need to use the hotel's. At least the parking is still free. The room was fine, although the heat seemed mild. Could have been warmer. Good shampoo provided. Staff were polite and prompt. Overall, the propery was average for a Hilton, but good compared to other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: A long walk to my room, I would ask for one closer to the lifts.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hiltoncroydon, General Manager at Hilton Croydon, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Joseph B,

I was glad whilst reading your comments that overall you had a good stay. Regarding charges for internet use, this is charged by BT Openzone in the rooms but Internet access is free in our Bar/Lobby area and in our Business Centre.

yours sincerely,
Deal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been a regular visitor to the Hilton,Croydon for several months now and because of this and becoming a Hilton Honours member, you become entitled to benefits.According to the Hilton website ,a silver members benefits include 2 free bottles of water .I can assure you that I have never received water here, so time moves on and I'm now a gold member, still no water. come on hilton you can do better than this.our company puts a lot of business your way, we do have alternative places to stay.it shouldn't be down to me to complain everytime you get it wrong.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Joseph B,

Please accept our apologies regarding the issue mentioned in your review regarding bottled water. I have addressed this issue with our Housekeeping team and I assure you there will be no reoccurrence of this sort in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your comments and for your custom. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Hilton Croydon in the near future.
Yours sincerely
Nicolas Craninx

Been to Hilton Croydon? Share your experiences!