“That bloke in the room above snoring all night!!” 3 of 5 stars

Hallmark Hotel Croydon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Purley Way, Croydon CR9 4LT, England   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Croydon
Bath
“That bloke in the room above snoring all night!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Well that got your attention!

Plenty of parking and very easy to find off the Purley Way going into Croydon. Reception and bar area is very contemporary and well presented and the welcome was superb. Then the room - very dark inside, again quite contemporary in appearance but was a little worn with paint missing from the ceiling and flaking in the bathroom. The room had frosted glass and the reason being there was a socking great air con unit and no view (not that I would have valued a room overlooking the very busy Purley Way). Shower curtain around bath - I hate shower curtains and it did not seem possible to vary the temperature that was stuck on the hotter side of tepid but ok for me. Nice big telly, plenty of coffee and tea. When I pulled the bedclothes back - yes bed lined and blankets, sheet was a bit grey and there was a dubious stain on the blanket.

I ate early in the bar - all great, staff were so helpful and the meal was nicely cooked and presented. absolutely no problems there. An early night but the bloke snoring above me disturbed my sleep and the door slammer down the corridor exacerbated this. Is this enough to make it an average then - well probably not, but at breakfast, no one asked me whether I wanted a hot drink and the door slammer and snorer and his mates had eaten all the bacon. Soon topped up but the large number of guests evidently on a course together were extremely demanding and very noisy and I was tetchy.

Close to a 4 but probably for all the wrong reasons, I am giving them a 3 this time. Will try another hotel next time I return but sometimes, the little things are important.

Oh, and if you fancy popping across the road to the food hall - don't bother!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding you recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were well looked by all the team and that you enjoyed you meals with us. We hope to welcome you back some time in the near future, if you would like to contact me directly the next time you are in the are and I would be happy to offer you an upgrade.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Sutton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The room was smelly and some of the bedding dirty, The plug for basin was broken,The shower valve did not have all the parts on it, The water leaked on to the floor while showering so had to dry floor not to slip. The printer was faulty so no receipt printed. The tv channels was not working properly low signal etc did not make coffee as the keetle was full of limescale and finnaly the noise from the traffic and the old extractor fans did not help to get some sleep. This is not a 4 star hotel at £59 pounds per night the lowest rate.

Room Tip: Book a room at back of hotel if close to main road try not to walk in and book and ask the hotel to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
That you for your review, I am very sorry that I did not get the opportunity to met you personally during your stay with us and address the issues you have brought to my attention. If you are ever in the area again I would appreciate if you cold contact me directly and give us a chance to show you that what you experienced was an exception.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

i needed to stay in this area and had a host of similary priced hotels to chooe from on Booking.com" i chose the Hallmark for one reason...the hotels web page shows an amazing pool...jacuzzi etc... i fully understood the facilities were next door at the LA fitness club.
I checked in sunday afternoon, was given directions to the fitness club a 10 minute walk away ??... had a light lunch...then up to the club at 4pm.... CLOSED... the club shuts at 4pm on a SUNDAY....were the reception staff really unaware ?? they had given me directions 10 minutes earlier...seriously folks... the club has some odd opening hours...if you are hoping for a weekend of swimming...saunas etc..this is NOT the place for you....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to avail of complimentary use of LA fitness, located 2 minute walk from the hotel. We have since been informed of new opening/closing times. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We decided to have a night away from the kids and found the perfect place to do that.
We arrived at 4pm to our room ready. The room was a good size, well lit, nicely decorated and very clean. The shower was amazing, very powerful. The rest of the hotel was clean and well layed out. Our evening meal was fantastic and reasonably priced and the breakfast the next day was superb. Every member of staff was smart, polite and helpful. The only quibbles I have in regards to our stay were in the room the desk light didn't work, in the bathroom the extractor fan wasn't working and the use of the spa and pool(10 mins up the road at LA Fitness) was a waste of time. After getting there we were asked for personal ID and had to have a padlock with us to be able to lock away our clothes? None of these were indicated that we need to bring.
Overall we had an excellent stay and would with out doubt stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your night away. My apologies for the inconvenience of your lamp not working and thank you for your feedback regarding the leisure centre, we will certainly take this on board. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I arrived after an extremely long day at work and walked through the door looking for reception. A member of staff noticed me looking and walked me to reception where the staff were full of smiles and very helpful.

Went to my room and as well as nicely decorated hallways, found the room to be clean inviting and well appointed. The view out of the window was of a trading estate, if you want views you'd book a hotel in the countryside, not one going into London!!

Dinner and drinks were a good price, excellent quality and the staff were again beyond helpful.

Breakfast was again good quality and staff beyond reproach as was checkout.

Showers and internet were highlights.
Only thing to stop getting a 5 is the soundproofing between rooms. The guy in the next room was rather loud about midnight - it's a mobile not a megaphone

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your lovely review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which was extremely good value. The staff are efficient, polite and friendly. The hotel is clean and the public areas are attractive. Though our bedroom was small it was comfortable and the bathroom was well stocked with toiletries. The lighting is a little dim but the reading lights by the bed are fine. Our food at breakfast and dinner was well cooked and attractively served. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was at he front but we were not conscious of road noise during the night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Danielle T, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Croydon, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your positive and constructive feedback. I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your weekend stay with us. If you are every staying the area again please mention your comments and we would be happy to accommodate with a larger room at the back of the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Been staying here for 2 weeks (minus the weekends). The only downside is the lights in the rooms are quite dim. Apart from that, the staff were brilliant, very friendly and were always happy to help you! The rooms were clean, the food was brilliant and the service was brilliant too! Parking can sometimes be a pain when the hotel is very full but there is extra parking for when you need it. The hotel is very modern and well decorated and I'm extremely glad that for my 2 week training course that I got to stay here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your 2 week stay with us. I will pass your lovely feedback on to all the team. We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Been to Hallmark Hotel Croydon? Share your experiences!