“Lack of hygiene” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 333 Restaurants in Croydon
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Opened in November 2006, An Nam Restaurant is Croydon's favourite spot for authentic Vietnamese food. In early 2007 owner Myoi Cao surprised locals by winning Croydon's Oriental Chef of the Year competition, beating the likes of Wagamama and Miso head chefs to the top. An Nam has since grown from strength to strength, popular among south Londoners and even far-off visitors from around the UK. About us: Chef and owner Myoi Cao has lived in south London since 1981 and worked in the restaurant trade for over three decades. Her culinary roots, however, are found halfway across the world in the southern Mekong region of Vietnam. Myoi had long-memorised her mother's recipes and over the years has expanded her repertoire with regular trips back to southern Vietnam and Cambodia. Southern Vietnam ("An Nam") is known for its abundance of seafood, fresh vegetables and herbs, and for its bold flavours - lemongrass, fish sauce, tamarind and chilli.
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Lack of hygiene”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I went to experience another restaurant in the Wing Yip last month, as we never tasted the flavour of Vietnamese cuisine before. However we are used to oriental flavours.

Although the waiter was polite and helpful the main course was terrible it had fat floating and the flavour was a packaged one. We were keen to experience a fresh cooked food, but we were given a prepared meal that was heated up in the microwave. A disaster!!!

The shock was to visit the toilet and see the amount of lime scale deposited on the taps and the lack of hygiene that I am sure is not permitted by the U.K current 21st century food standard regulations.
Katia and Martin Doonan

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Small dishes, geanerous prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went here with my boyfriend for lunch. Ordered the banh cuon thit, (rice cake with meat), banh xeo (egg omelete with prawn and pork with veg) and spicy beef rice noodle soup. The side dishes are small but flavoursome. Noodle soup is spicy.
Staff doesn't look too pleased to be there, some dishes advertised in their menu are no longer being served so menu should be updated.

Visited September 2012
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Have been dining here for years, compared to the Chinese restaurant in the wing yip building it's always quiet but the food is excellent. When I told them I was going to Vietnam the lady sat and gave us lots if advice and recommendations which was lovely.

I find all the things I tried in Vietnam here and the steamboats are a fun reminder.

Go and try it, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Casual dining & quality food that will keep me coming back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our fourth evening meal at An Nam and the food was, as ever, superb. Despite the wonderful food, people should not go expecting a 'fine dining' experience. As others have said, the venue & decor are a bit soulless, so it's probably not a place to take someone you're trying to impress. But if you're with family or friends & can create your own positive ambiance, it's well worth a trip. We generally arrive early - about 7:30 - so the 10 pm deadline isn't really a problem. But I too have witnessed the mass exodus of staff around 10:30 pm which can be pretty disconcerting! The owners reassured us we were welcome to stay as long as we wanted, but still...
I have never found the staff to be rude - they are not overly friendly (largely, I suspect, because their English is pretty poor) but are always pleasant & polite. Unlike another reviewer, I don't expect - or want - my chair pulled out or my napkin unfolded: those to me are things to be expected in a much more formal, chi-chi, upmarket - & expensive - restaurant. As to wine, we've had a very nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc on a couple of occasions - though, yes, it could have been more chilled (but it was certainly cooler than the room temperature experienced by another reviewer!) But we often have beers or Jasmine tea.
We're usually four, but yesterday (a Thursday) we were only two. We had a set meal - just because there are so many wonderful dishes & we wanted to try as many as possible. With 2 pots of Jasmine tea, endless water, 2 desserts & 10% service, the bill came to £52. There were so many dishes that we only managed to eat about half of most. The waitress volunteered to pack the rest for us to take away - so that works out at really good value in my view! There were about 10 tables occupied when we arrived, but most people had left by about 8.30 pm. By the time we left, at about 9:45 pm, there was just one party of nine Vietnamese people still eating.
For those who decide to give it a try, some "special mentions" - the Vietnamese pancake is the thinnest & lightest I have ever tasted; the egg fried rice is superb & light years away from your average egg fried rice...but above all the Vietnamese desserts. At the princely sum of just £2.50, they've got to be one of the biggest bargains around. They're more like a virgin cocktail, or a grown-up, ultra-luxe milkshake than a dessert. They're liquid with chunks of the other ingredients, served in a highball glass with a straw & a long spoon; all 3 varieties consist of pieces of nata de coco and ice in coconut milk. Last night I had the one with jackfruit, which was exquisite. My daughter had the one with adzuki beans which was a bit too sweet for my taste, but she loved it. So if you're remotely a dessert person - or just fancy trying something refreshing & different, make sure you leave room for one of these stunning offerings!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Decent food. Rude and slow service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The food is decent and the prices are ok. But the service! Things come at random times, sometimes 20 mins apart (despite all being mains). The waiter is disinterested and frankly rude bathe girls is better. It's a shame as the place is only half full at best so there is no excuse for this.

So much potential being wasted away!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere