“Very enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stanhill Court Hotel

You added Stanhill Court Hotel to your Saves list
Stanhill Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   StanHill | near Gatwick Airport, Charlwood, Horley RH6 0EP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
London, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here in July. This is an old manor house hotel with lots of character - not a modern plastic sanitised overnighter! The property has large lovely grounds far from the madding crowds. The Library room is a gem rarely seen in modern hotels and a 'must' on your visit. Upon arrival at reception we felt as if we were stepping back in time-in a nice way.
Our bedroom was comfortable if a little on the small side - but wasn't a problem. We had a 4 poster room with an amazing view of the rolling hills/downs in the old part of the hotel. The dining room is wood panelled and a very romantic setting if you get a side table or a window table. It is not very large so if it is busy, it can get a bit noisy methinks which could detract a tad from the romantic bit. The food was very nice at reasonable prices, we were only disappointed that menu didn't change on the 2nd night. For some reason I had expected-or hoped for a different choice. All the food appeared to be freshly prepared & cooked properly-none of the reheated rubbish so often found these days. The lamb dish just melted in the mouth and the desserts were so lovely. It was all delicious & I am a fuss pot!
The staff were fantastic & very friendly, but very busy. I got the impression that they were a bit understaffed as they are running the bar, restaurant & reception. So on our evening arrival we were kept waiting and the duty manager appeared harassed on first impressions. I had read earlier reviews regarding this same subject so I was not overly surprised & therefore understanding, but really I think it is an issue to be considered by the management! On arrival, our reservation for dinner couldn't be found and we had to wait as it was busy. We had to wait a little while for drinks at the bar too & for our food orders to be taken, but we were not in a hurry so it didn't bother us too much.
Although close to Gatwick it is not too noisy from the planes. They can be heard but the hotel is not on the flight path. I was still woken up early by the take off's but what does one expect given the location & it didn't detract from our enjoyment. We will certainly be back and happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Don't take a heavy suitcase as there isn't a lift!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments. This is especially rewarding from a seasoned traveller!

You mentioned about luggage and lifts: As policy, we do ask all guests if they need assistance with luggage. Guests also have the option to leave large suitcases downstairs which they collect on departure and this always works well.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Owner/Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

A thoroughly restful two night break booked through KGB deals.
A magical setting with lovely views over the Surrey hills. The rooms were a good size and the bed very comfortable. Staff were very helpful and pleasant.
The grounds were interesting as was the history of this country house.
The freshly cooked english breakfast was superb. We also enjoyed a "bar meal" on the terrace.
The surrounding countryside and small towns were interesting to explore and there are many attractions easily accessible.
It would be helpful to include a history of the house in the "guest information" folder in the bedrooms. Though this was given to us, on request.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor - a good all round view of everything you experienced and a very special deal regarding cost, to boot! We sometimes engage in voucher deals to fill quiet periods.

All that remains for me to say is that you now know where we are and what we can offer and we look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion.

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staff were good and pleasant. Very relaxed feel. Terrace really is a sun trap with really nice view over the Surrey Hills. On a good day the sun in the summer is on the terrace from mid morning for the rest of the day. You're very close to Gatwick and you can see planes coming and going, but even outside, I didn't think the noise was particularly intrusive. Comfortable room, no frills, but very quiet, and free wifi. Most people are passing through for the airport, so during the day we virtually had the place to ourselves, and could use the library or the terrace undisturbed. Only used the restaurant for breakfast and couldn't fault the cooked breakfast which was freshly cooked and good portions.Only criticism is the bar, because the space is rather odd and I personally don't think it's a comfortable space. With the terrific space available in this building I think the bar could be better placed. It's an impressive building, but lower end on the country house scale. We were there for two nights midweek just as a break, and this place worked well for us. Only word of caution is that there isn't much 'public' area and I suspect that it's the sort of place where a wedding or conference would take over all the public space and the bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind response on Trip Advisor and giving a very clear description. It is pretty quiet here, as you point, we are very close to the airport and not in a flight path.

You are quite right we are often busy with conference and wedding business but the public areas generally remain available: library, main hall, restaurant and bar and of course our terrace in the warmer months, except when the hotel is used on an Exclusive Use basis in which case, of course, we would not be taking bookings from individual guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised to find such a hotel after booking on LastMinute and arriving to book in with a charming receptionist. We booked for dinner and the dining room is charmingly period. The meal was very good. The room was excellent, clean, comfortable and well-appointed.
Suitcases had to be carried up stairs but help was offered if we needed. Being a period property there was no lift.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor. You have shown us that we achieved everything we set out to do on a daily basis and that is to make your stay and enjoyable and memorable one for all the right reasons.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Stanhill Court Hotel
Reading, Berkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I cannot believe this place has any positive reviews. As the title of mine suggests, you get what you pay for, and we booked this via HolidayExtras and paid for cheap Gatwick parking with a room overnight before we departed, a mistake I will not be repeating any tome soon.

We are by no means prissy: I've not long returned from Glastonbury, where I am happy to rough it in a tent, not shower for five days, and have no qualms about using a long-drop toilet. I want to put that out there before anyone thinks I'm being over-sensitive to the standard I was expecting.

What we wanted: somewhere to park, a warm dry room (no frills required, just a reasonable bed and a shower), a filling meal and a couple of beers from a hotel bar before retiring to bed before an early departure next morning. Reasonable enough to expect from any hotel, yes?

What we got: Arrived at 9:20pm to be "welcomed" by the surliest of surly Night Managers, who barely grunted at us. He appeared hugely put out by our arrival at this hour, quite why I am not sure because the advertised Reception closure is 10pm. Once he'd rudely taken our details he shut up shop and wanted to clear off. Weirdly (but not surprisingly) we were the only guests staying in this old country house hotel, it all began to feel a little like an episode of Scooby Doo.

He flung us a key to our room; near impossible to find in the dark, no signage, no lift, us luggin 20kg cases up multiple staircases until we eventually found our room, Itself fairly pleasent, but more of this later.

On immediately returning downstairs we found the bar was closed; the Manager bedgrudgingly offered to get us some drinks we could have in the lounge area (in near darkness) but it would be one round of drinks before he again closed up.

Was the restaurant open? No - absolutely no chance of getting any food. This was despite the Holiday Extras website stating, and I quote, "Feel like the lord of the manor for a night at this elegant country house hotel! Eat like a king in the 1881 restaurant, which has been awarded two AA rosettes for its locally-sourced cuisine"

Really Stanhill Court? Really? What Lord of the manor can't even get a bag of crisps at 9:20pm of an evening? Utterly abysmal, and a downright lie about the services on offer.

Our only option was to drive a few miles back towards Gatwick to a local pub; by the time we arrived (still before 10pm) they too had stopped serving food, as had the local Indian restaurant. I treated my wife to a couple of bags of crisps and lamented going cheap.

On return to the hotel, we found the front door locked at 11:20pm; We phoned the NIght Manager on the displayed number three times - straight to voicemail. Eventually, after much banging on the front door the Night Manager appeared, opened it, grunted at us, then disappeared.

We retired to bed to sleep, rueing our choice of accomodation, but thanking oursleves we'd soon be out of there, refreshed after a few hours sleep. Big mistake. Above our room was some sort of aircon/plumbing unit which made a loud groaning noise every thirty seconds, impossible to sleep through even with earplugs. As I said earlier, I can go to sleep in a field of ravers making all sorts of noise, but this place just had it at the level and frequency of interruption where it was impossible to get to sleep. I sat and watched the clock tick for five angry hours before our taxi arrived to spirit us away from this place. Only bonus was I was so tired by the time I got on our plane I was able to sleep through a family of kids kicking off behind us all the way to Portugal.

I always end my reviews by saying whether I would recommend a hotel. This place? Only to my worst enemy. Never again, not even if you paid me to stay there.

The tragedy is that it is a lovely building and I can imagine was once a very nice hotel, however for a place of that stature to be dirtying its hands on the cheap airport parking markey tells you all you need to know about why nobody seemingly stays there, it's very well past its best. Do yourself a favour, shell out a few more quid and stay somewhere decent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and to say we are disappointed with the quality of your stay is an understatement. I have thoroughly investigated all the points raised.

Regarding the poor welcome you received (so unlike us and not what I would expect), our staff have undergone additional training.

We do not have a fully manned reception area at certain times especially after 10pm (all booking agencies are aware) and there is a notice, as you point out, to advise this. This notice has now been updated to give better instructions. We had been quite busy that night with a residential conference who had all retired for the night just prior to your arrival. We are a very busy, fully functioning hotel and Sunday nights do tend to be quieter. I'm not making excuses but as you set out in your own report, everywhere else was closed too.

The restaurant is open until 9.30pm and when closed, it is our policy to offer guests a selection of sandwiches or cold dishes. This complaint prompted us to arrange further training as previously stated. Whatever you were offered it was not suitable and you

The village of Charlwood is less than half a mile from the hotel. It's a quiet village at the best of times and on Sunday nights they probably close early if they are not busy. This was unfortunate. Even at the airport, just ten minutes away, the food facilities close around this time, as well.

I am not sure if you notified any staff that you were going out. It is my understanding that they thought you had retired for the night and as there was no-one else to check in, they locked the front door for security purposes. We have now changed the procedure for contacting the duty manager at these times.

Last, but not least, you complained about the noise outside your window. We managed to locate your booking and therefore the room you stayed in and realise the noise was coming from the beer cooler which is located just above the cellar and beneath your window. The problem has now been rectified. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We stand by the phrase "Feel like the lord of the manor for the night at this elegant country house hotel" as the majority of comments we receive are complimentary.

The string of incidences you have experienced were most unsatisfactory and we would like to refund the cost of your room (parking was free). If you would like to get in touch with us, we will refund your card. Please telephone us on 01293 862166 quoting the date of your stay, name, etc., or email: enquiries@stanhillcourthotel.co.uk together with your credit card details.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend when we visited the area for a family party. We got a good deal on laterooms so we only paid a fraction of the cost for our two nights. The hotel is impressive when you come up the private drive and the gardens and grounds are superb (lots of bunnies running around). The terrace is a sun trap and is great for a relaxing drink in the afternoon / evening (as long as there isn't a wedding on!). Luckily there wasn't a wedding during our stay but I would imagine it could be a bit noisy when there is.

The rooms are OK but the extractor fan in our bathroom wasn't working and wasn't fixed when I reported it. The TV signal was a bit patchy too (but we didn't need it anyway). The bed was comfy but it was hot and the duvet was quite thick. We could have done with a lighter-weight one. The dining room is beautiful but there is also a tapas bar area for bar meals (we had the chicken curry and it was superb). The library was great with wooden panels, leather sofas and lots of interesting books on the shelves.

The staff are friendly and helpful but a bit short-staffed as there was often no-one on reception when we needed them.

Despite this being very close to Gatwick the planes didn't come overhead and the noise wasn't that intrusive. We asked for a quiet room and were put around the front of the house (room 28) which was OK at the weekend but Monday morning was noisy from very early on as guests left for the airport and some workers arrived.

Overall - great if you can get a cheap deal and a superb location for exploring the beautiful local area.

Room Tip: 26 - 39 are round the front and away from the wedding reception areas
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. And, yes, it it quiet here as we're not in a flight path. Always a bonus when you're in the Gatwick area.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the bathroom fan not working, this has now been fixed. It's not always possible to attend to maintenance immediately. Most of us are quick with light bulb changes, etc., but some things take longer to organise.

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked it last minute. Arrived 10 minutes after the call to book and the woman on reception couldn't remember what room she had allocated us. That was after we waited a good 5 minutes for her to arrive at reception to help.
The room was pleasant but lacked finesse. Hairdryer was old fashioned and blew warm air only. Bath and shower were not very nice of effective. tea and coffee was awful.

Went o the bar for a drink. Had to call out for someone to service us - after a 10 minute wait. They finally arrived and then were less than interested.

Restaurant has 2 AA rosettes - well they must be from a long gone era as the food was dreadful. Worse than a 3rd rated pub. Asked for rare steak and got cremated rubber. Service was lacking all round.

Left at 7.30am . No staff to be found - anywhere. Had to leave keys on an unsecure shelf in the hallway as reception was locked.

Won't be returning. Not even if it is last minute.

Shame, as has much potential.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I am left with some questions of my own:
Did you complain on the day about any of the points raised? For instance a hairdryer could have been changed over in minutes.
We have checked the bath/shower and need to get more information from you about their ineffectiveness.
Your comments regarding your experience in the restaurant are derogatory and extreme. I often see the food going out from the kitchen and it is nothing less than first class. It would be against the principals of our professional brigade of chefs to send freshly cooked food out that was unpalatable. My staff have no recollection of either any food being presented that looked like "cremated rubber"or any complaints about their food. All complaints are dealt with seriously and your food would have changed straight away if it was not to your taste but I do question your description.
And your comment, "Service was lacking all round" - I don't quite understand what you are saying. Did you complain about this at the time?
Finally, the slanderousdescription of being "worse than a 3rd rated pub". A totally unjustified comment. Our food is prepared and cooked fresh to order. We are proud of Stanhill Court Hotel and our high standards. We're not perfect and mistakes are made but never, never would I accept such deleterious comments.

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!