“Not much for your buck.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

You added Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lime Avenue | off Portsmouth Rd, Camberley GU15 2BG , England   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Camberley
Westgate
“Not much for your buck.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife & I booked a Spa stay for her 40th birthday treat. The front of the building / entranceway / restaurant is impressive, unfortunately the 'standard' rooms are housed behind the main building & are not keeping at all with the character of the place (more like a poor travelodge from the outside). The rooms however are much better & everything is spot on. The Spa building contains the spa treatment rooms, gym, pool & sauna. These were all very well kept & a pleasure to use. I was expecting the grounds to be substantial for such an impressive manor house, unfortunately over the years this has been developed for housing (all be it very nice housing hidden behid the trees/bushes) leaving only the large front lawn area for photography (limiting if you are holding a wedding there).
The bigest downer for us was the restaurant, it bring a whole new meaning to 'A la carte', we are not big eaters but the portions were miniscule by ANY standard & the food was rediculously expensive for what it was. The food was nice but the lack of any substance means that you come away just as hungry as you went in.

Room Tip: Stock up with snacks for after dinner.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Many thanks Scott W for your review. I was sorry to note your comments regarding the Restaurant, as we are very proud of our recent award from the AA for 2 rosettes. Please be assured that I will pass your comments on to the Head Chef for immediate review. In terms of pricing, we continually review our competitors to ensure that we remain competitive in the market place. Three courses for under £30 in a 2 rosette restaurant, with the addition of supplemented dishes to offer more choice, I think is very reasonable. Again my apologies if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a corporate deal and the place is lovely. Very oldie worldie and clean. The room I was in, 76 was very nice but a bit tired and a lack in need of some maintainence really. What was done was a little sloppy with the grouting spread over the shelf which is not what you'd expect from such a top rated hotel. I didn't use the spa. The restaurant was nice but the service was rather shockingly slow. We waited for over an hour for the main course and then it was wrong which meant it had to go back. It wasn't even very full. The waiters were pleasant enough but the service did not warrant the service charge put on the bill without even asking so it had to be removed. Sadly the restaurant has got a reputation for being very slow which is a shame

• Stayed February 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you Sugar 1974 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
Camberley, Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been here twice; once for a Christmas bash and once for a celebration dinner. The xmas do was fine, but apart from the early evening drinks on the lawn there most nothing much to recommend the dinner. Food was average at best for the price and a fire alarm kept us outside for about 20 minutes without any gesture to acknowledge our evening had been dampened somewhat. Of course fire alarms go off from time to time, but a complimentary drink or similar on a £100 + dinner for 2 would have been something.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Many thanks Adam T for your review. I was sorry to note that your dinner did not meet your expectations on this occasion. In terms of the Fire Alarm, I can only apologise for the inconvenience, however evacuation procedures are in place to ensure everyone's safety, which is paramount to us. I do hope that this will not deter you from affording us the oportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I found a good DBB + 30 min spa treatment deal at this hotel and we went last Friday night. On arriving, the hotel clearly virtually empty, we requested a late check out from the receptionist to allow us to not have to check out before our spa treatments. She flatly refused without even offering to check. She was very dismissive. I realise late check outs can't just be handed out but the way this request was handled was inappropriate. I'm afraid to say it did nothing to dispel the theory that hotel staff from Eastern Europe have poor customer service skills. Our room was lovely and warm with a comfy bed and a big shower. Room was number 12. The service at dinner (our waitress was Asian) was excellent even though it was virtually empty. The food was lovely, a great choice. After dinner we had a drink in the lounge as there was an open fire in there. Unfortunately we were coaxed out by an apparent patron because he wanted the fire to himself. We were exhausted anyway so we retired for a good night's sleep. In the morning we had a hearty breakfast. I was pleased to see most items included in the price - the cooked breakfast was excellent with locally sourced produce. We then had to check out before our spa treatments (annoying). The same receptionist miscalculated our bill, initially overcharging us by including the spa items when we had pre-paid them. Again, no apology, no thinking about the customer. Just a bland unfriendly response. It amazes me how hotels can have people like this at front of house. The real disappointment however, came at the spa. We had been calling for over a week to book additional treatments but no one had picked up the phone. The spa receptionists gave no apology, just stating the spa was full. It later emerged it was full the next day too. And here lies the problem - The spa has a large external customer base and it does not prioritise hotels guests. The result is many disappointed hotel guests. I was waiting in reception later and at least 10 more people had the same experience. Were you lucky enough to get a slot you had to 'remind' the receptionist to give you slippers and a robe. How poor is that? My massage was good but my wife was taken into a room that hadnt been cleaned properly as the towel on the bed was soaking wet. On this point, we'll be writing to Macdonald to complain as this is not acceptable. There is so much choice of spas these days, mistakes like this are obvious. A shame because the hotel itself was nice.

• Stayed February 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you PistolPete2009 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

A nice hotel, strangely located in a housing estate; but don't let that put you off. Grounds are nice and hotel public spaces are very nice.

Gym and pool are small but very good.

Dinner room service was average but breakfast was very nice.

TV is multimedia enabled so you can plug your own devices in and away you go.

Slight downside; small reception desk and check out took ages due to number of people trying to check out at once. My advice would be to leave early :-)

Will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks kachariw for your review. I was pleased to note that in general, you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for the wait to check out. This will be reviewed accordingly to try and avoid this in future. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Good value hotel, nice setting , close to M25, really lovely staff who couldnt do enough for me and my friends, rooms perfectly good, clean, but spa very very basic. Had we known we would have gone somewhere else for our spa break.

• Stayed February 2013
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Many thanks MTM71 for your review. Whilst I was delighted to note that in general, you enjoyed your stay with us, I was a little disappointed with your comments regarding the Spa. We boast a very strong external membership to the Spa and I am pleased to say that we enjoy a very strong custom from guests who come and stay for a Spa Break. I am sorry that we appear not to have met your expectations on this occasion.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was our wedding Anniversary and we decided to treat ourselves to a night away. On arrival we were met by two lovely people on reception who swiftly checked us in and offered to carry our bags.
The room was small but adequate for our needs there were a few issues with it the extractor fan in bathroom did not work, the collar on hot tap was loose, the curtain was slightly torn and there was a mark on the wall .
The spa was across the car-park about 30 yards from door which was fine for us as it was not raining and not too cold ,however I was disappointed to be told it cost £5 to hire a dressing gown ( This was not stated in room info so had no money with me).
The Spa was nice and spotless in cleanliness however there was not Jacuzzi which I adore.
We had dinner in restaurant served by fantastic staff may be at times slightly to over attentive.
The food was delicious and well presented.
Breakfast next morning was also good although may be checking table settings before seating guests might be a good idea (We had no cups or butter knives) .

All in all a nice hotel to stay in.

However do not use postcode advised on Hotel site as it takes you no where near hotel you have to approach from totally different road.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks Moggie40minor for your review. I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for points raised regarding your bedroom and thank you for bringing these issues to my attention, which will be actioned accordingly. I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa soon.

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!