“Hubba Bubba Steak” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Hubba Bubba Steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I've never been to the Rackstraws before (even though I have lived in the area for many years) So decided to go with some companions (There were Eleven of us). I found the entrance poorly lit and a little confusing at first, but sat myself down with a well poured Guinness which I was short changed on (It's Chrimble so what the hell!) and waited for my brethren to arrive. Now, what I am about to say may seem a little off putting but I will give credit to the fact that I have never heard anything bad about the Rackstraws AND it is a very busy time for all restaurants. So this is why I have given Three Spheres.

Firstly, me and another of our group were not greeted at the entrance to the Restaurant, so we had to locate our table ourselves. The waitress was very good, so cannot complain there. We all had starters and the majority of the group were happy except for those that had the Calamari. I used to work as a chef and cook and the Calamari was very small and clearly had been fried in oil that needed a change as it left a bad aftertaste not just for myself, but Two others. I'd ordered the ultimate Cod for my main and lay in hope that it didn't have the same 'edge' as the calamari. Well, I was wrong there too. It didn't taste good at all. I had to take off most of the batter due to the taste and it was slightly overdone. I decided to not have a dessert as I was put off big time at this point. My Friend had an 8oz steak that was burnt on the outside and underdone on the inside. He spent Fifteen minutes chewing One piece and went on to tell us all that he is about to blow bubbles with it as it had the texture of Hubba Bubba bubblegum. He told the waitress he wasn't paying for that and the waitress was very helpful.

I have yet to speak to some of my other friends so cannot comment on their reaction as I left after an hour and a half as didn't feel so good (I have a cold and cough by the way, so it wasn't the food before anyone jumps to conclusions)

As I said, I am giving the Rackstraws Three Spheres as the restaurant was very busy, The waitress was good, the time of year doesn't help and I haven't spoken to all of my Friends. Otherwise this (from me personally) would have been a generous Two Spheres.

I am returning again soon as a table is booked with some other Friends so we will see if I can bump up the score a bit then.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Berkshire
“Poor food and portions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been to Beefeater restaurants before and usually find them ok but on this occasion I was disappointed. Originally I was going to the Toby carvery in Frimley but there was a queue to add your name to tbe waiting list. So on the way back home I popped on here and was pleased to see that they had roast for lunch. However it soon became obvious that despite being quiet the staff were rushed off there feet. When the food arrived the beef was tough and stringy and the vegetables were all mushy. Thw portion sizes were lamentable. . I suppose I know why the place is so quite.

Fleet, Hants
“Try bar instead of restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service in the bar is far superior to the restaurant for food. Much easier to go to bar to order food and drinks than to wait for the server in restaurant to notice that you are waiting for their attention!
Good atmosphere in bar as well. Same food but much quicker.
Bit pricey for what it is though.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“It does what it says on the tin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a chain and the food is standardised and generic. I had not booked, that was not a problem, we were dealt with promptly and the staff were friendly. I had Calamari stater and a 10oz rare ribeye steak and that's what I got. My mother had chicken liver paté and Haddock and chips and that's what she got. I had a glass of dry white wine and we shared a bottle of very drinkable Shiraz. Everything was tasty, appropriately cooked and served promptly. It's not upmarket but its not trying to be. Everything was most satisfactory. A very nice unfussy meal with satisfied customers on a busy Friday night. Great with kids. It does exactly what it says on the tin and that's just fine! I really enjoyed my meal, the service, the family atmosphere, and the company of my 90 year old mum!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yateley
“After a day of disasters thank goodness for the Rackstraw”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We had an emergency at home, and had to find overnight accommodation at short notice. Pennie in reception there was fantastic. She was very pleasant and helpful and managed to ease our tensions and got us booked into an excellent room. We went for the mealdeal as mentioned previously, which is excellent value. I had Pâté and Smoked Chicken/Bacon salad. Both were very nice and I then had the Lemon Meringue sundae which was delicious. My partner had a huge Prawn Cocktail and steak, which were also very good.Breakfast was excellent, they have a notice advising that Soy milk is available which was good. Food was hot. Staff very attentive. Only one problem. There was only one toaster and as the Hotel was full there was a long queue for toast.

Visited August 2013