“Weekend Break at Pennyhill” 5 of 5 stars

Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Bagshot GU19 5EU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break at Pennyhill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Anniversary break away on a Saturday night at Pennyhill. Having stayed here a few years back I knew the hotel but it was a first visit together for my wife and I. We were fortunate enough to have an upgrade which saw us stay in the Twickenham Suite - all I can say is this is certainly an amazing room. It's huge with four-poster bed (very comfy) and best of all has a massive hot tub in the bathroom. Service was excellent throughout the stay.

We dined in the Brasserie and the service was prompt without being pushy. My only criticism would be the desserts were small and in my opinion not worth the price. The starters and mains were both delicious and the wine list comprehensive.

A visit to Pennyhill is not complete without a trip to the superb spa which was not too busy on a Sunday morning and whilst my wife had a treatment I spent an hour using the comprehensive facilities.

Enjoyed so much we have booked a return visit already for later this year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Pennyhill Park Spa is something quite special, the grounds, the rooms, the spa but most of all the staff. I have never met such polite, friendly and helpful staff anywhere, right through the hotel, porters, front desk. waiters, bar, managers, spa, everyone. For me the staff made the place.
My top details were:
Ice cold flannels in the gym for after my run
Bananas in the gym
The changing rooms in the spa, out of this world
The outdoor hydrotherapy pool
The ice cold glass of beer
The gorgeous cocktails
The staff
I hope I am lucky enough to stay there again some day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mithian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed for one night whilst visiting family, and I had a superb stay. The food was lovely, the staff charming and hospitable, for me it was a shame my stay was too short. The spa looked great but it did not get a chance to use its extensive facilities

Room Tip: I only saw my room but I am sure that they are all lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Your 70th Birthday only comes around once and Judith, the Head Waitress in the Ascot Bar, couldn't have been more helpful in making my Mother's Birthday an afternoon to remember. We were blessed with a gorgeous September afternoon and were disappointed to find, on arrival that the terrace area wasn't open. Within five minutes, a table had been set up on the terrace, sun blazing and service that couldn't be faulted. Her friendliness, time to talk, and attentiveness to serve the client made for an afternoon I and my family shall never forget. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I am so pleased to hear that Judith made your mother's 70th birthday celebrations and Afternoon Tea so special and memorable for you all. Thank you for choosing Pennyhill Park for your special occasion. I hope that we will see you again soon. Kind regards Julian
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at PennyHill after winning a competition. We are both in our early twenties and have respectable but moderately low income jobs - this place was always going to be out of our budget and in our dreams...but not now!

On arrival we were greeted by the stunning front house, very 'Downton Abbey' if you please, the dark wood, the crackle of the fire, the plush carpets and the low lit but comforting lighting. I was really impressed.

Our bell boy was a nice guy and explained about the hotel and it's facilities in details whilst taking us to our room.

Our room was fantastic, just fantastic! The bedding just melts around you...the bathroom (we had a jacuzzi and wet-room walk-in shower) was so good.

The grounds are incredible and well worth a walk.

The food (we booked for the restaurant) was amazing. Whilst it wasn't prompt coming to our table, we knew that must of meant it was coming to us fresh.

One thing I will say, if you're not used to people running about for you - just go with it. I hated being called 'Sir' everywhere and having people offer to butter my toast and so on. Yet, this is how the 'other-half' live - the people with the money - so just enjoy it for what it is.

I loved this place and once I have saved up enough I will go back again, it was just amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed for a family occasion during the summer. The Hotel itself is a little labyrinthine and our party was spread out throughout the (sizeable) grounds. We loved the spa and gym. I don't think I have ever encountered such a large hotel spa and the outdoor swimming pool and well equipped gym were nice touches. The buffet breakfast was great too though it would have been nice to be offered the a la carte menu (these were routinely swiped from tables then brought only after you had filled up from the buffet.....hmmmmmm). My main gripe was with the room size, we stayed in a standard room and the door opened straight onto the bed which took up the entire (small) room. Couldn't open the room door and wardrobe door simultaneously. Just v, v small - even by European standards. Happily other members of our party had much larger rooms at the same price but we did feel a little hard done by in our shoebox! Wouldn't be tempted to risk it again at the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. All of our rooms are very individual and do vary in design, size and decor. I am glad that you experienced and enjoyed the amazing gym and Spa. I hope that you will try us again as our team will be more than happy to discuss your room preferences with you when you make your reservation. Kind regards Julian
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here last weekend for a birthday treat, chosen by my husband after I had raved about the hotel when I last visited 3 years ago.
My husband agreed with me that the spa was superb and offered a thorough spa experience. I did note lots of tiles missing in the steam rooms which could benefit from some TLC but that did not retract from the experience at all. The luxurious changing rooms and showers are a further treat after a days relaxation.
We had dinner in the brasserie which was superb quality and service excellent.
Staff were always helpful and polite.

The bed and bedding in the room were sublime but other elements let it down: decor was shabby and old fashioned in room and bathroom and the TV seemed to have a poor picture with limited channels. We expected a modern room with modern technology - a room similar to those shown on the website!

After dinner we wanted to chill out with wine and a fire and were pointed to a lower lounge i think they called it where a fire was lit but this room was absolutely horrifically decorated and furnished. It was like sitting in a youth hostel with a really good fireplace. I feel quite strongly about this as how any member of management can perceive that as acceptable in a hotel of this standard is beyond my comprehension.

We ordered room service breakfast which was disappointing: it was cold, I ordered baked beans and didnt get them, I requested mugs and we got cups, I ordered home made jam and we got a jar, the eggs benedict sauce was not that pleasant, the toast was burnt and the croissant was not good quality.

I went to check out and ready to express our thoughts as written here, however I was not asked if everything was ok during my stay or how we found it, I was thanked for staying with them and therefore I decided to post my view on here instead.

These are not serious misdemeanours, however when I pay 5 star prices I expect 5 star quality and service and we were disappointed to feel the room and breakfast experience seemed to reflect falling standards.
We decided we would use the spa again but not the hotel, there are better options for that kind of money we feel.

Room Tip: ask for refurbished one!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us. We do have a rolling refurbishment plan in place for the bedrooms and for The Spa. The Spa has just been redecorated, new furniture added and the thermal saunas are all being refurbished as part of the plan over the next few months.
The Lower Lounge is also undergoing refurbishment as we speak. We are extending it to open out on to the Lily Pond Terrace, creating a games room upstairs and a separate private screening room for our guests to use. The Lounge area will have a bar and be somewhere relaxing for our guests to sit by the fire and read quietly.
I do apologise that your room service was cold and that our Reception team did not ask how you found your stay. I have followed this up.
I do hope that next time you visit with us you will see the differences to the areas that you have mentioned. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and helps us to concentrate on the areas that matter to you. Kind regards Julian

Been to Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa? Share your experiences!