“A fabulous hotel with outstanding Spa” 5 of 5 stars

Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Bagshot GU19 5EU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
London, United Kingdom
“A fabulous hotel with outstanding Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was brought here by my hubby for a surprise anniversary night away. From the moment we drove in, I knew we'd arrived somewhere very special.
We were too early to check in, so we took ourselves off to the Spa for a couple of hours. The changing rooms, to begin with, were some of the grandest I've ever used, with luxury amenities at every turn. Abundant towels, slippers and robes were at our disposal with no limit on how many we used during the day, which, when you're in and out of the pool and then fancy a drink outside by the pool, was a nice touch.
When we checked into our room, we were thrilled to have been upgraded to a deluxe junior suite, as it was our anniversary. The room was phenomenal, over two floors with a mezzanine study area and with a bathroom you could live in....
Although we didn't order anything from it, we were amused to find a 'Pillow Menu' in our room!
Evening turn down service was as expected but I was happy to see the coffee and cups had been replenished while were were at dinner, so we were able to have fresh, in the morning.
Dinner at the two Michelin starred Latymer Restaurant was out of this world, and exceeded all our expectations. We not only enjoyed the wonderful 10 course tasting menu but really appreciated the time taken by the wine waiter to explain how the accompanying wines complemented the dishes. He even kindly wrote out for the names of the wines so that we could buy them ourselves at a later date.
My only area of slight disappointment was breakfast. The restaurant was very full and seemed low on waiters. Despite the fact it was a self service buffet, we waited about 20 minutes to be brought coffee/tea and had to be highly cautious when carrying our plates from the serving area back to our table as many people were passing to and fro. For a 5 star hotel, this is a little bit of a let-down after the amazing day before, where everything was perfect. I would personally have preferred to accept a staggered breakfast time slot, to allow a more attentive service or even have breakfast in bed, next time.... and there will be a next time... :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your valued and detailed feedback. I have noted your comment about breakfast and will discuss this with the manager of the Brasserie. I am glad that you enjoyed your special stay overall and hope to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Los Altos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here on a short business visit but still thoroughly enjoyed it. The room decor was old style but astounding. The conference room arrangement for our small group was good with constant supply of coffee, tea, biscuits, chocolates, jelly beans etc. I could see the people at the pool trying to absorb all the sun that they could get, with the rain coming off and on.

The copying service from the front desk was total simple and fast. Gave them my documents and I got the scanned version by email.

Want to definitely come again with family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Pennyhill Park many times and every time I am delighted. The food is second to none, the spa is exceptional (the biggest in europe) and the owners (the Pecorelli family) are delightful people. I would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Some friends booked a stay here for me and my husband after a very stressful few months, promising that it would be a nice relaxing break, and it was!
The location is great, in a very quiet and peaceful area and the hotel itself is stunning. Our room was absolutely beautiful with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.
The breakfast was lovely, as were all of the staff. I felt that we were really well looked after by the staff from the moment we entered the building.
The spa is an amazing place to relax. There are several different pools and jacuzzis, as well as a variety of other rooms and treatments to help you relax. I would definitely recommend the outdoor jacuzzi bed, we spent a lot of time there, and in that time it was sunny and it rained and it was a lovely relaxing experience throughout. There is also a bar in the spa, and I would definitely recommend a glass of champagne in the jacuzzi, there is nothing more relaxing!

It really was sad to leave, we plan on going back for our next wedding anniversary

Room Tip: It is in a very quiet location so I doubt that any of the rooms would have a problem with noise. I d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to Pennyhill last week for a night as a surprise to celebrate my 30th birthday and we were not disappointed!
We aimed to get there around 1pm even though check in is from 3pm to make the most of the spa but when we got there our room was ready so we checked straight in and headed forvthe spa.
The spa is the most amazing spa I have been to so far. Plenty of rooms and pools to keep you happy for a good few hours if you choose not to have a treatment and the sun was shining so we really enjoyed the outdoor hydro-pool.
We then had a drink on the lovely lillipond terrace (once we found it!) but seemed to be attacked by flying ants landing on us from the umbrella above so cut it short and had a wonder around the lovely grounds.
For dinner we ate in the Brasserie, which was very good. I would definitely recommend the chocolate coulant for dessert, even with the pre-warned 20 minute wait!
After dinner we made our way to reception to pick out a film to play back in the room.
In the morning we had breakfast delivered to the room and chose pretty much one of everything to try and it was all delicious! We barely ate anything for the rest of the day!
My husband booked the whole stay including meal through secret escapes for a rather reasonable price so that's my main reason for giving top marks on value for money. I don't know what full rates would be but I think it would be more than I would be willing to pay!
Definitely somewhere I would like to return to though.

• Stayed August 2013
Weymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed at Pennyhill Park on numerous occasions now, and everyone of those stays has been an amzing experience - sadly this time our stay wasnt up to the usual 5* standards.
Check in was very busy when we arrived so we were directed straight to the spa, which was, as usual a haven of calm and tranquility! After our treatments we headed back to reception to check in, there was only 1 conceirge on duty so we had to wait around 20 mins for him to show us to our room. Our room itself was nice, however the TV had VERY poor reception on most channels, the maintenance man who came to look at it for us did tell us he has been advising the hotel of this for a while now but nothing had been done. The bed had a nasty stain on the throw and a rip in one of the pillowcases, the shower also didnt drain properly - all things that you dont expect from a 5* estabilishment. Dinner in the brasserie that evening was divine, and the service was impeccable. The hotel was hosting a wedding on the day we stayed - which meant that there was a LOT of noise in our room that evening - you could hear the disco loudly - which was the biggest problem as we had visited the hotel this time to unwind and relax. Reception were very understanding when we explained all of these issues to them - in fact all staff at the hotel were faultless throughout our stay - its just a real shame that the facilities and the noise of the hotel really let us down this time. All that said, i will go back again as pennyhill has been an annual treat for a few years now (although i will check that there isnt a wedding scheduled when i book) - i just hope that next time round i will enjoy the usual 5* experience i have seen before.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Emily, Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am so sorry that you did not find the stay up to the previous standards. Despite the number of guests arriving that day we always look to extend a very personal and timely checkin to your room. We have introduced a new digital tv system that has given great clarity to the quality of picture and a wider variety of channels. We will focus in on the detail from a housekeeping perspective and was sorry that you were disturbed by the wedding celebrations. We work hard to place those guests associated with the wedding close to any noise disturbance and those not connected in any way to be as far away as possible, I am sorry that this was not the case. We look forward to arranging a far more enjoyable stay next time. Kind regards Julian
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Gor blimey, what a difference a season makes, out go the ladies that lunch in come the Essex lads who lounge - round the outside pool and their extended families. So the Bistro is a bit 'tasty' vs. the norm. However fret ye not, more genteel visitor. Ray doesn't use the indoor spa /pool/treatments or golf in general, so Pennyhill's usual delights are all there. Good luck to Pennyhill they seem to have got to two distinct markets going.

Room Tip: If you like the character of the main building and are happy with lots of stairs go for that, but ne...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TheEvaluator, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the future. KInd regards Julian

Been to Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa? Share your experiences!