This IS an impressive place, no doubt. The cold weather bought on an attack of open and roaring fires and the place just reeked of "atmosphere". One of the reviews suggested "american" and this is a great summary.
It is delightful - if somewhat manufactured in it's ambience.
The SPA (£5k / yr, and ~£1k joining fee) is great but then again, it's expected to wow you, so it does this. The staff seemed great and I could see they had been trained well to manage any sort of activity or circumstance.
I was in a group dinner one night and had a meal - it was superb and I have one the fussiest palate on the planet. Top Chef(s)
It is a somewhat sprawling venue and in some parts, you will need to leave lighted candles behind you to know where you had been !
Pillows were silly soft, so the moment you put your head on them, they sunk to the level of the mattress. TV / DVD in the room was great, Free Wifi was good and the surrounding (huge) forest made an evening run without lights a little exciting.
When you check into a place like this you expect excellence and in the main, I got it. Trouble is, despite all the glamour, the glitz and pizazz of the £400/ night room, I think it is not somewhere I could rush back to. SHOCK,
Don't get me wrong... it's all "so so perfect" but I'm struggling with the whole character of the place. I have had better stays at much lower price.
However, judging by the super cool exec barges in the car park, this is very much the place where Justin and Henrietta pop for a few days - no expenses spared of course.
If you like this sort of thing go for it. You will be impressed.
Oh, I forgot to mention. The "over the top" nature of this hotel can be summed up in a simple sentence:- The mens urinals flush when you stand in front of them and do this continuously.... with HOT WATER ! AAAHHHH.... talk about stupid and wasteful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pennyhill Park is a magnificent country house hotel in Bagshot, Surrey, set amongst 123 acres of gardens and parkland including a 9 hole golf course. This five-star luxury hotel offers everything from unmatchable luxury spa breaks and treatments to fine wines, Surrey's only two Michelin star restaurant, Michael Wignall at The Latymer and impeccable service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tablet Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pennyhill Park Hotel And The Bagshot
- Pennyhill Park Hotel And Country
- Pennyhill Park Hotel And The Spa Bagshot, England - Surrey