“What a great time we had” 5 of 5 stars

Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Bagshot GU19 5EU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“What a great time we had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My Mum and I have just returned from spending a fantastic weekend at Pennyhill Park. I've been to many spas and this is by far the best I've visited. Every member of staff were friendly and welcoming always with a smile, nothing was too much trouble. The food was also outstanding with the best creme brûlée I've ever tasted. Can't wait to go back. Thank you to everyone at Pennyhill Park.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night with a work conference and thought the hotel was brilliant. My room was amazing - from memory I stayed in Polyanthus (all the rooms are named after flowers!). The bedroom area was very large and I then had a mezzanine over part of the bedroom and bathroom which was a very large space with a desk and office space. The bathroom was also very large and had underfloor heating throughout, the rain shower was also a nice touch.

I visited the spa early in the morning and had it all to myself. This was one of the best spa's I have ever been in and certainly had a lot to offer.

We all had dinner in a private dinning room, the food and service was excellent.

I imagine a weekend of relaxing in the spa here coupled with the fine dining and excellent bar will definately have me returning to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Amazing spa, amazing hotel, the staff were very nice and the room was lovely. I have no complaints. If you want to treat yourself to a spa day then definitely choose Pennyhill Park. I've been to lots of Spas (even Vegas) and still trying to find one that tops this one and i am failing miserably!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My first stay at Pennyhill Park and I'd been looking forward to it, having heard many good stories. The location and setting are excellent, but the place is somewhat let down by a slightly stuffy atmosphere and one or two members of staff .

The rooms are good. The wet room in mine didn't have a floor that sloped enough, so the entire bathroom and beyond got soaked from a quick shower, but overall nice.

The food is generally very good, but eye wateringly expensive. Breakfast at £25 is certainly steep... even for a 5* hotel.

The gym and spa areas are excellent and worth a visit. Fresh fruit in the gym is a nice touch, but would good if the taps for water were more than a dribble.

So why only 3 stars? My biggest problem was the customer experience. Despite having booked an extra night, I was told on the morning that in fact, despite taking my booking, the hotel was actually full. OK, people make mistakes and an alternative hotel was found for me 15 minutes away (which was far inferior to this hotel, but I'll let that go....) But two big issues:

1) when I made the additional night reservation at the front desk, it was with a member of staff who was clearly inexperienced (but perfectly nice and very helpful). She was struggling a little with the computer system and was a little unsure of what she was doing. She turned to her colleague,Sarah Wolff, who snapped back at her, just do it and walked away. I felt quite embarrsassed for the other member of staff, but assumed all was well.

2) When I was told that actually there was no room available, coincidentally, this was done by Sarah Wolff. At no point did she apologise and was very matter of fact about the situation, as though it happens all the time and in fact, I should be grateful that another hotel had been found for me. But worse, she actually blamed the other member of staff - the very member of staff who had requested her help when taking my booking! I find this shocking behaviour from the Guest Relations Manager.

Overall, this place could be very special and some aspects really are. If they could sort out a few niggles - and give their senior staff some customer service training, I am sure they would be

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

OK so I we just had a Friday night away at Pennyhill Park as our last weekend away before oiur baby comes, and I basically feel like I have been mugged.
Where to start - Firstly the facilities are good (espec the spa which is huge and has lots of different areas and things to try out). The rooms are also OK (we got upgraded to a junior suite so it was basically a big room, the decor in teh room itself is a bit faded and shabby but the bathroom was brand new and really lovely. Kind of felt like two different rooms walking between two though, since the bathroom was super modern and nicely fitted out with TV on the bath etc, while the bedroom felt like an old school corporate hotel. A bit odd but still fine.
OK so the spa is good, and so is the room - so why do I feel like I got mugged then?

The main thing to report is that they are really let down by their inexperienced and impolite staff. The service in the Brasserie both at dinner and breakfast was nothing less than shocking for such an expensive hotel. Service was 3 star or less. At dinner the food was nice, though not exceptional. They also do the thing where your main course seems like a normal price but has nothing with it, and when you add the sides it gets expensive very fast. We had to ask every time we wanted a water glass filled, and had to remind our waitress (twice) about our wine order. It is very clear that the girls they have working there, while nice girls, are not professional waitresses, but students or similar earning a few extra quid. That is fine in a pub and what you would expect for the price, but really not fine in a five star hotel, especially given that the prices are so high. To give an idea our meal was £129 for two people including just 4 glasses of average wine, and my wife only had a rocket salad to start and no dessert - to me in a Brasserie setting with inferior service this is frankly appalling value for money. Prices I remember that shocked me were £11 for a chocolate mousse dessert that was tiny, and £5.50 for a single Espresso. I work in Mayfair and regularly go for lunch at the best restaurants here, and this is high even for there...
The bad service continued the next morning when we came in for breakfast. It is a self service buffet which is fine except you would have expected to be able to order a la carte for hot food, but the bacon and eggs etc are all pre-prepared under hot lamps like you get in a motorway service station. Anyway all I therefore required from our waiter was a cappucino and a latte, but the waiter I gave my order to needed reminding THREE times, and the third time he was rude about it and rather than apologising said he hadn't got to it yet. I asked him if he remembered the order and he said "Yes, two black coffees". I think by the look I gave him he then realised that I might complain about his tone so he was then really ingratiating and actually retook the order. Our coffee eventually arrived after we had finished the rest of our breakfast. Not a great start to our "relaxing break" I think most would agree.
We then went back to our room and realised that because of the slow service it was now 10:55 and that we had a spa treatment at 11 but that checkout was also at 11. So I called down and asked if it would be OK to checkout at 12 after our treatments so that we didn't miss any part of them. I got a flat NO without it even being considered. After a hasty pack we then went down to reception, where we waited for 15 minutes because there were only 2 staff on duty at reception and it was heaving with a wedding party all leaving. Eventually having waited for 10 minutes or so without getting any nearer the front of the queue, my 8 months pregnant wife and I carried our own bags down to the spa (don't worry I carried the heavy ones), and arranged to leave them there. We missed 15 minutes' worth of our treatments as a result, and I don't think I've ever had a massage feeling so unrelaxed. It was anyway not a great massage, again the staff member was very young and clearly very inexperienced and in her first job, as all the staff at PH seem to be - cheaper that way I guess...
In conclusion my thoughts on Pennyhill Park are that you can only get away with the prices you charge if your service is commensurate, which right now it definitely isn't. Otherwise we will certainly not be back as there are MUCH better hotels for the same money. It has a very corporate kind of wedding venue feel, real conveyor belt, and if you are on a couple weekend we would suggest that there are many better options available before you settle for Pennyhill Park.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband treated me to a stay here for my birthday on the 2nd March 2013.
The hotel is beautiful and the spa is wonderful, especially the outdoor pool/hot tub areas.
We had a couples massage which was very firm but enjoyable. The lunch and drinks menu are expensive but i guess that is to be expected in a 5* hotel.
We had dinner at the Latymer which was wonderful, small portions but the flavours were just fab! The service was what really made this place special such as members of staff wishing me a happy birthday, a birthday cake in my room, special macaroon treats at dinner etc.
The sommelier was a lovely guy called David?? (i think), i explained i'm not much of a wine drinker but i enjoy champagne cocktails and he recommend a couple which were lovely! One of them was a little strong for me and straight away without me even having to say anything, he had replaced it with a complimentary champagne cocktail! Now that is great service! We ended up spending around £300 on dinner which is hefty! but it was worth every penny!
I would recommend this place to anyone wanting something a little extra special!

Room Tip: Let managers know its for a special occasion and if you have any preferences. I like big spacious ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed on 23 of February, 1 night. We arrive to the Hotel from the staff entrance on church lane (guest entrance is on London rd) but a employee very kind show to us the way to the reception. It was bit busy and we had to wait few minutes because there were few people on front of us. The receptionist confermed our name, I payed the deposit and gave us the key (felt bit cold the conversation), a concierge very kindly took our luggages and he escorted us to our room. (some rooms and the spa are seperate from the main mansion). When indise he explained some features of the room very satisfactory. Our room the snowdrop (Rooms have name no number) was very nice, new, clean, huge bathroom with bath and shower, very confortable bed and amazing pillow.
After relaxing a bit we went to the spa. Very big, clean and well assorted (nice swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub etc). The only black point was maybe the size. I felt more relaxed in other small spa, with more privacy and with less people. The massage 60 minutes aroma teraphy very good, my first best experience of the trip and reasonable price.
After we went for dinner and from here something went wrong. Before sitting to our table we order two cocktail, the bar is ok, very similar to other country hotel, with live music and soft light.
We wait for around half an hour before I asked to a waiter if my table was ready and he went to check. When he came back he escorted us to our table( we dined in the Brasserie, the Latymer was fully booked) The Brasserie looks nice bit to bright and with a bit cheap look for a 5*. They brought us the bread and I had to ask for some butter. We drank a Riesling martin zahn 2008 £36 nice wine bit overpriced for this type £10 less was the correct price for me but it is a 5*. We ordered the starter rabbit ballottine and scallops with black pudding and ham hock. Both very tasty well cooked and amazing presentation. After we wait and wait and wait for our main , 40 minutes and I had to ask to a waiter if there was some problem and he said sorry and our main where coming soon. After all this wait at least the kitchen did not left us down. Very good main too. After the waiter took out the mice en place to serve the dessert and only now he remove our cocktail glass that they were emtpy since the beginning of our starter....The kitchen again amazing dessert, as I was tasting the pistachio mousse I aske to a waiter how the dessert was made ( I am chef and like to know what I have in my plate) and the waiter brought me back the dessert menu and he just read what was written on the menu, really? I ordered pistachio mousse well I know that is a mousse, could be nice if the waiter could explain little bit more about as on the plate there was not only a mousse. We order an Bailyes coffee and a Mobazillac but I think the waiter was not really aware what was it and he brought me back the menu to let me point out which one was it. After that we left the restaurant with mix feeling, excellent food very bad and not attentive service and £200 bill
We order the breakfast in the room, two eggs benedict, croissant coffee and orange juice. Very good, only I think they should serve with cooked breakfast tomato ketchup and brown sauce.
The next day we went back to the spa to enjoy the pool and the sauna and steam rooms. Then we went to the bar for a lunch before leaving the hotel.
Again the service was very poor, We ordered one beer and one no-alcholic drink that they came only after 20 minutes. After the bar manger very kind, came to take our order one burger and one ceaser salad, both nice. After again we have been left to our destiny and to have a eye contact with a waiter no luck. I had to stand up and go to the bar counter to order one coffee. The total bill £70
We went to do the check out and the bill was wrong, they did not remove £80 of the dinner that it was inclusive in our package. We heard again another sorry. Too many for 5* hotel.
We also tried to have a look to the bakery downstairs but there was a sign "private function" when we asked to a memebr of staff if there was any chance to have a look, she said "do you really want to see it?" we said "yes, please!" she replied "I am sorry but it is not possible!"
Now, if the kitchen and the hotel as hotel was good what it left us down was the poor service. In a 5* I think I pay for it and this should be on top of all the rest. I did not feel special and I did not have that wow factor. When I contact the GM, he gave me his apologise and he stated that during that weekend the hotel has been very busy.
When I came back home and friends asked me how was it, the only two things really that stayed in my mind were the food and the spa treatment. A bit a short list for not a really cheap bill!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa? Share your experiences!