“Good old fashioned service.” 5 of 5 stars

Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Bagshot GU19 5EU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Bagshot
Glasgow
“Good old fashioned service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I was at the hotel with my wife for a company get together. We arrived 16:00 and I was struck by how nice the grounds were. Check in was efficient and friendly and we were shown to our room and we were offered a run through of anything we weren't sure of. Our room can best be described as traditional, but a comfy bed, a nice bathroom and free Internet were all nice touches. We had our evening in the Balmoral Suite and that, along with the food were up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. We had a quick walk round the grounds in the morning and after a lovely breakfast left the hotel very satisfied. Not the cheapest place to stay, but well worth it for a nice treat or a special break.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Norwich england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at Pennyhill Park over the New Year. Firstly the welcome was fantastic including valet parking and before long we were in our upgraded accommodation - a junior suite. Very well appointed with an enormous bathroom and plenty of room elsewhere. the bed was one of the best that we have ever slept in. The room was quiet and we never heard another guest.

We dined in the 2* Michelin restaurant on NYE and a fantastic tasting menu was had. At £175 each it is not cheap and add on another £200 for drink and service but for NYE it was probably comparible with other establishments. The food was exquisite, so many courses and on one course where my wife asked for a substitute this was done quickly and to the same high standards. Service was good but perhaps a tad below that had in other Michelin restaurants although nothing to complain about at all.

The spa is amazing and we enjoyed two lazy days in the gym and spa and nowhere was busy and so it added to the relaxed atmosphere. We ate in the bar on the second night and the food was exactly as we expected and up to high standards. Breakfast was good and there is certainly enough for all tastes and appetites.

The hotel was amazing value over the New Year and we will probably be back again next NYE!

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My other half booked to go here for 2 nights the week before Christmas as a birthday present and pre xmas retreat for us both.
We had researched the place and af6ter visitng senspa & careys manor a year ago, this place was next on our spas to visit.
It was absolutely amazing!!
We had booked a standard Junior Suite and were upgraded to a Deluxe Junior Sute (The Aintree)....It was huge and so luxurios. It was bigger than the upstairs of our 4 bed house!!..The furntiure was beautiful and bed huge and so so comfortable.
We were greeted outside the entrance and our car valet parked, and quickyl shown to our room with our bags being carried for us.
A lovely birthday cake and card was in our room. What a lovely touch.
Towels and toiletries changed daily.
We ate in the Brasserie on the first evening and had a meal in the Latymer restaurant the following evening. Whilst the experience of the Latymer food was fantastic... the room was unbearably hot!! We had to ask for air conditioning to be turned on. I noted that several diners were having the same issue and people were constantly coming and going to gain some fresh air!!. This did not dampen our meal experience though and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and service.
Breakfast i would say needs to be fresher for cooked meals, but the choice is great.
Our afternoon tea was fantastic on the Ascot bar, amazing amounts of tea, cakes and sandwiches. We asked for another scone to take back to our room for later. The waitress came out with antoher 4 fresh and warm scones, cream and jam. How lovely!
The Spa without a doubt is the best we have been to yet...and Careys Senspa takes some beating. The pool size and warmth is amazing, the outside hot tubs are so relaxing and hot..especially so in the winter!! We both had a treatment every day and were first class. The ladies were so professional, explaining every product they were using and their pressures for the massage were just right. We went for the mud wraps, aromatherapy massages, serial mud treatment for two (an absolute must!!) and on the last day, my boyfriend booked me into having warming stones and facial. Im sure i fell asleep!!! we bought some products after the 3 days as we loved the smells so much!!. The changing rooms are massive and luxurious, you can change your slippers , robes and towels as many times as you like, massive showers, hairdryers and straighteners..i could go on.
We loved this place and are planning on going again, pre xmas.

Room Tip: The Aintree room was amazing...very top floor overlooking the pools..Huge and Luxurious!!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here for Christmas with my entire family. We were all really disappointed with the rooms. The original wing of the hotel looks beautiful and the website shows images of rooms that have been updated, but our rooms in the more modern part of the hotel were really old fashioned (but this I mean out of date) and in huge need of refurbishment. Out of date technology, terrible bedside lighting, cheap bathroom products, shocking decor, awful swirly carpets everywhere in the corridors. On the upside the spa was fabulous, as were the grounds and the staff couldn't do enough to help - great service and the food was on the better side of OK, but again breakfast and some evenings food was served in a very out of date room that resembled a canteen. I turned down the first room and was shown another two but they really didn't resemble anything like the images on the website, of which I was assured when I booked we would be able to have in the modern part of the hotel. Pennyhill needs to be much more transparent about the fact that not all of their rooms resemble the images on the website and are very out of date. I enjoyed my time here because of the Spa and the staff were lovely, but I wouldn't return because I found the rooms really depressing. I feel Pennyhill needs to bring itself in line with other true 5 star hotels around the country and it needs to employ a really good interior designer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is our chill out hotel. near where we live but easy to get too! we go here to do nothing and use the excellent spa. We prefer to stay in the rooms in the old house and love there quirky nature. breakfast is always excellent and surpasses most london hotels. front of house staff perhaps are not as attentive and razor sharp as in years gone by. never the less a great relaxing spot and we will be back.

Room Tip: we always choose rooms in the main house but this may not be for everyone
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Honestly the best Spa I have ever been to including Mandarin Oriental and some other well known ones.
Great as a shared experience.
he only trouble was that Although we were in breakfast on time - exactly at 10:00 everything was cleared away and within 5 mins there was nothing to choose from as every scrap had been removed.
The rest was perfect including the rooms that were querkly but fabulous!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in PH a number of times over the last few years on various weekends away with my boyfriend and with friends and despite a number of minor complaints, I always really enjoyed it overall and never felt the problems were too much to put me off returning or bothering to review before now. However, this visit was the final straw for me hence this review!

I visited with my Mom this time round in August this year and let's just say I would only consider returning again if I was guaranteed a room outside of the main house mainly due to the unbelievable noise we experienced. We were expecting a relaxing chilled out couple of days but sadly lack of sleep left us exhausted and grumpy.

I experienced one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had! There was a wedding on the night we were staying (Friday night) and the noise went on until the very early hours of the morning. It doesn't help that the rooms in the main house have no air con so having the window open is a must particularly in hot weather and it was very hot that weekend. All the noise from the terrace below could be heard and I felt I was actually at the wedding itself! I experienced problems with the room temperature previously on other visits in the summer when the weather was good so this was nothing new and the hotel has now installed fans in the rooms which we did avail of but they didn't help much and were noisy also so didn't really alleviate the problem.

By the time the wedding noise finished in the early hours, my mom and I were then subjected to a couple's night-time activities for what seemed like hours on end based on the woman's screaming which was ridiculously over the top! If we heard this racket, the entire main house must have been subjected to it. I didn't bother saying anything to reception the next day about either the room temperature or the noise as I was just tired to complain but they must be aware they have a terrible noise problem in the main house ( I have since read other reviews that comment on the noise problem also)and need to sound proof ASAP! Installing air con would help as well and it is unusual for a five star hotel not to have any in place.

Don't get me wrong, overall the hotel is really lovely particularly when the weather is good and you can make the most of the outdoor pool area. The spa facilities are excellent and I wouldn't want to put people off visiting. However just ensure you ask for a room away from the main house so you will actually get to enjoy and relax in the time you spend at PH. I have previously stayed on a couple of occasions in one of the rooms outside of the main house and it was a different experience.

I think PH needs to up its game if it really wants to be at a 5 star level as I have been to many other spa hotels around the UK that are a much better standard.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for comments, I was most disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay. We continuously audit all our accommodation with over 250 different criteria, that includes all the factors which influence a great night's sleep. During the assessment we also review the handmade mattresses, the black out in the room, and of course the noise. If ever a noise issue is identified new acoustic ceilings and flooring are added to ensure that we do guarantee a peaceful night's sleep. I am only sorry that either myself or a member of the senior team were able to speak to you personally. I would also note that we have a variety of rooms that are air conditioned across the resort. Do hope that you will contact me personally for assistance in the future. Kind regards Julian.

Been to Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa? Share your experiences!