“The BEST SPA HOTEL..love it!!!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road, Bagshot GU19 5EU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Watford, United Kingdom
“The BEST SPA HOTEL..love it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I know I am a bit late in writing this review (nearly a year!! I have left one in the past) but I have been to this hotel three times and planning another visit with my husband this March and I was just reading thru the latest reviews.
I was dismayed to read about the visitor who said he had his watch stolen in the review they left in November 2011. Obviously I don't know anything about that issue, but just want to balance the books a bit by relating my experience.
The first visit we had at PennyHill for our 17th wedding anniversary was truly wonderful...all the great reviews you read are ALL TRUE!!! Nothing was too much for them, and they made our stay so welcoming and were very attentive. Facilities, food and spa...the best! We have tried since then, and failed to find anything close to PHP!! Two more visits since then has been outstanding and worth the 'bit extra' in our opinion!
The first time we stayed, I got a call from the Reception on the 2nd day of our visit. Apparently a cleaner had found my purse on the public stairs and honestly handed it in to reception and I wasn't even aware that I had lost it!!! I know that there are lots of honest people out there, but I just thort I wanted to post this to let other potential visitors know a different side.
I work long hours in my local hospital and my husband has his own demanding business and three teenage kids...so we consider visiting this beautiful hotel as a real getaway from the stresses of life...and it works!! When my jids are old enough to use the Spa, we have promised that we will treat them here too!
They also have this lovely cook that makes her own sauces...she's a gem! And she cooks my eggs just like I like them for brekkie! I make a bee line for her every time I go and she always remembers me! I think she has been working there 20 years or more... I hope she is still there when we go again!
Just one thing, Mr Voigt, pleeeese let the superb hydrotherapy/ jacuzzi pools not be 'closed for maintanence' at the end of March....!!! I cud't cope without them!!! I look forward to seeing all your proffessional, friendly staff then! Its our 20th year wedding Anniversary this year and I can find no better place to celebrate it!! Can't wait! Keep up the good work!!

Ian & Marcia, Herts

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Met with friends, and my five year-old godson was really well treated in the hotel. The Spa is "not the place for children", and if you want to use the pool - you cannot change there with a child, you have to go to a weird "house" away from the spa. This was really disappointing and marred the stay.
This was our last few nights in the UK, and an expensive luxury, but the spa was fully booked, and very "pompous" - I have stayed in many 5* or better hotels around the world, and not met such pomposity anywhere before.
So ignoring the Spa and Pool:
Our room was excellent, with superb facilities, and a great bathroom, huge, comfortable bed and all the conveniences that you would expect from a top notch coutry house hotel.
The staff were exceptionally polite and attentive, but not overbearing, and did not give any "celebrity guests" better service than we received.
The lounge was really comfortable, and the food was excellent, catering for children and vegetarians really well.
Very expensive, but you did get what you paid for, probably more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Pennyhill Park about 6-8 months ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, so much so that we decided to return to celebrate our anniversary.

Hotel accommodation as ever was delightful and our suite with four poster bed was light, airy and well situated. Spa is second to none and the range of facilities makes it a thorougly enjoyable experience. The hotel is big but we have yet to experience any problem in getting a pool side lounger in the spa.

The only reason that this fell short of 5* were the restaurant staff. Both in the evening and the morning we were served by new, trainee staff who hadn't got a clue what they were doing - spilling drinks and clearing plates before we were both finished during both meals. I understand that waiters/waitresses need to learn their trade somewhere but I would question whether they should be learning it at an establishment which charges quite so much for food? Should the hotel not consider hiring staff who have had at least some waiter/ess ing experience beforehand? This was not helped by the fact that the more established staff were clearly rather embarrassed by what was going on. I would also say that whilst the food in the ordinary restaurant is good, dinner for two is now uncomfortably close to what one can pay for a Michelin starred experience in London - £10/14 starters, £22/30 mains, £10 dessert, £5 coffee and 3-4x mark up on the wine list... Hard to justify.

We will, of course, be back

London England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

This was our third overnight stay at the hotel and on this occasion the stay was all about relaxation. As ever, friendly welcoming staff in all areas of the hotel and Spa. Luxurious room with the best sound proofing we have ever expereinced in a hotel.
The spa is one of the best we have ever used - anywhere in the world. The magnificent pool, the Thermal Heaven with various different zones and the outside pools are simply superb.
We even ventured into the gym and tried to run off the calories we had eaten during supper.
As a special treat this hotel is my first choice every time.

London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Any gripes listed below are only to draw the hotels attention to areas of potential improvement and shouldn’t prevent you from booking this amazing and luxurious hotel for yourself.

Occasion
Our 10th Wedding anniversary

Booking Process
Excellent experience, ably helped by the very patient Sarah in reservations.

What we booked
Deluxe Junior Suite (Complimentary upgrade from Traditional Junior Suite)

What we paid
£400 Pack a Little Extra, per night including VAT

What was included
Luxury overnight accommodation in a Junior Suite, full English breakfast, a chilled bottle of Perrier Jouët Champagne and a bouquet of flowers in room for arrival, full use of the spa facilities included.

We paid separatly for our Spa treatments and food/drink.

First impression
Amazing. Beautiful grounds and buildings. Reception is very nice and has a huge roaring fire. Hotel reception staff were all extremely friendly and professional.

Room
We were upgraded to The Muirfield which has its own private garden terrace that can be accessed by going out of the bedrooms French doors and walking around the building. Here you will find a table and chairs and views over the beautiful Surrey countryside and PHP golf course. The room had a selection of complementary funky flavoured (basil was one) chocolates on a plate.

Room Pros – Room is in the main building, huge Four Poster bed, impressive size, beautifully decorated, access to the gardens, lovely bathroom, walk in wet room style shower

Room Cons – Stairs go over bathroom so you hear the odd set of heels going overhead, TV is on the far wall to the bed so it is hard to see the picture, not a huge amount of products in bathroom and if you don’t put a towel down the water from the shower seeps everywhere.

The Spa
The Spa is situated in an enormous separate building that you get to by coming out of the main hotel and heading right through the hotels grounds. The Spa looks really impressive, with a range of indoor and outdoor pools and Jacuzzis.

If I have one gripe at all about our stay, it would be that the welcome we got at the Spa’s reception desk was a little frosty, unfriendly and definitely unhelpful. When arriving at the Spa you are asked to sign in a little book, whereupon you are given your locker swipe card and basically left to your own devices. They did not offer us any further information on where to go or what to do. One particular receptionist gave us the feeling that we were putting her out by even asking for directions to the changing room.

If Pennyhill Park worked on one thing to improve the first impression of the Spa, it would be to offer its new guests some form of welcoming instructions or even have someone to show you around.

Apart from this initial negative experience at the Spa's reception, every other member of staff in the Spa’s restaurant and treatment areas were all extremely friendly and professional.

The Spa is an incredible and luxurious space where apart from some of its paint work being a little tired and in need of a refresh in certain places, it won’t fail to impress you.

The price of food in the Spa was eye wateringly expensive (in my opinion). We ended up ordering one of the cheapest items on the menu, which was a tuna sandwich. Now although it was a very nice tuna sandwich, I did feel that £14 for a butty, a few lettuce leafs and a handful of crisps was slightly on the expensive side.

There is a 2 Michelin star restaurant at the hotel. Unfortunately this was closed for the first two weeks of the New Year, so we booked the extremely busy/popular brasserie instead.

I cannot praise the manager of the brasserie, Jamie, highly enough. Jamie took great care of our needs and helped to make our anniversary celebrations an particularly special experience for us. Prices in the brasserie are no more expensive than you would find in any good restaurant elsewhere. Jamie runs a tight ship and the quality of the food and service is excellent.

Drinks
Cocktails in the main bar/brasserie are quite expensive. At circa £15 for a lychee martini and my Grey Goose vodka and cranberry at £14, this is more than I am used to paying in some top London restaurants.

Would we go back again?
In a heartbeat!!! I can highly recommend it to you.

Room Tip: There are lots of different wings to this hotel that you have to go outside to access. For an easier...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I treated my mum last year to a stay at PHP and decided to treat my mum again as a Christmas prezzie!

Reception- Check in with ease at 3pm, given our room key for a deluxe guest room in "Rose" room.

The Room- 2 large double beds, tempura mattress and 50% duck & 50% goose down pillows, very comfy.

The room itself was rather large, table and chairs, bose sound system, flat screen tv, desk and amenities.

Wardrobe with ironing board, heater, hangers etc.

Dressing area large mirror, tea and coffee making facilities

Bathroom-large bath with tv, heated flooring, very large shower, 2 basins, mirrors and vanity mirror and complimentary toiletries.

I feel the room was well decorated, very comfy and overall very pleased. - if you want a mini bar in your room then dont stay at a 5* resort!

Spa- Fantastic usual, plenty of lockers, towels, never had to wait for a shower etc.
Plenty of different spa rooms, pools, jacuzzi, indoor pool with music underwater, very relaxing with magazines, towels, loungers and water available - only down side is there is not really anyone around to take a food or drink order if you wanted some (donnington spa do this and its such a nice bonus)

Breakfast- very good! just about everything you need for a nice breakfast! cereals, juices, cooked bacon, sausages, beans, black pudding, hash browns, cold meats, cheese, bread, toast, fresh fruit. - fantastic range of food.

Over all my mum and I will return to Pennyhill park for a relaxing get away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We were looking for a 5 day break over the Christmas holidays and had heard good reviews from friends, but weren`t overly impressed by the website.We had been to Clivedon the previous year. However I have to say the Hotel was outstanding, the Staff smooth and incredibly helpful and the spa just stunning. Nothing was too much trouble, our suite, The Tulip Tree is gorgeous, huge and beautifully decorated. My boyfriend loved all the TVs (three!) and raved about the one by the bath! We both had treatments at the spa..best facial of my life...and the facilities of the general spa are outstanding. I particularly loved the music playing underwater in the main pool.It never felt busy even at this time, the service was always excellent..really a faultless stay.The Christmas programme was fun ..we enjoyed clay pigeon shooting, salsa lessons and archery, as well as 2 fun dinner dances. The Latymar Restaurant at the hotel is 2 Michelin stars and is unbelievable. We had the Tasting menu and wines and it was simply first class. Wonderful Sommelier too.
Overall a fantastic stay. Not cheap but definitely worth it. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are totally different, some full of old fashioned character, four poster beds, some, l...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa? Share your experiences!