“Not as bad as i was expecting” 4 of 5 stars

The Crown Hotel
38 High Street, Stone ST15 8AS , England   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as i was expecting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I rear reviews before we went and cos it was the only hotel available for the night we wanted we had to go, but was I surprised the rooms had all been refurbished and very clean in my view it was well worth the money we paid (£65) would go back there again.
We did not stay for breakfast as we were leaving early.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

On June 10th I booked a double room at this hotel for the night of June 28th / 29th through agoda.com and paid £44 through PayPal. Got all the paper work and proof of payment and the Agoda Hotel Voucher to produce on arrival.
Arrived at the hotel about 7:30pm to be greeted by a young lad about to show a couple to their room, “I’ll just find out where your room is” he said to them, “its my first day, the hotels only been re-opened a week!” (Hear the alarm bells!) When he returned he took my paper work but couldn’t find the booking so said “I’ll get the manager while you park your car”

When my wife and I got to reception the manager informed us the booking had not been made as my payment had been declined, even though I queried how could this be as I had all the proper receipts from Paypal and Agoda but he wasn’t having any of it! He said he had phoned head office and Agoda and payment had definately been declined and there were no rooms available at the price I had booked! All he could do was offer me a suite at £140! And he could show us this. The room was awful, dated, a half used bottle of shower gel left in the bathroom with the lid off, dirty net curtains and mould on the window frames. The television was of the old style, a big as a tea chest with a £9.99 digi box hanging off it! When my wife said the room was unacceptable he reduced the price to £75 but this did not include breakfast! We said we would have to look elsewhere and in fairness to him he did look on websites for us. While he was doing this we phoned a friend of ours we were going to visit the next day and she managed to find someone to put us up, so we took our leave of the establishment, our last sight of it being the manager and his young assistant smoking on the front door step!

When I returned home I checked my PayPal account and the payment had definately gone through, I phoned Agoda and they were brilliant saying I should have had a room reserved for me, no one had contacted them and no payment had been declined. They gave me a full refund and a 10% discount voucher should I book through them again. If I do it certainly won’t be the Crown Hotel in Stone!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Oldham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We too arrived to see the closed sign on window and after banging on the door and window we got no answer, and unfortunately we slept in the car because of the rod stewart concert and at 4 pm there were no rooms anyware imagine my delight at seeing my credit card had been charged £80 the day after our booking a month earlier faulty towers has got nothing on this place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Booked 2 twin rooms a few weeks ago via Booking.com and obviously paid in full, total cost £120.00 (rooms only) Breakfast an extra £7.50 each paid up front if we wanted it, we declined.

When we arrived we were advised that there was only one twin room available and that they had put up a Z bed up (camp bed) in with a double bed in the other room. When we opened the door we were met with cramped conditions, unable to use the wardrobe, double bed in front of the doors, the z bed was in front of other draws that could have been used also and a 5 inch gap between the two beds to manoeuvre in.

Went back to reception to see if there would be a discount due to the fact that we did not expect to pay to sleep on a camp bed. No joy, in fact the woman on reception said we need to take it up with Booking.com, which I will. She said someone had phoned us to advise us of the problem with the room, a blatant lie, no phone call and no message left on my answering machine, they had a few weeks to inform us. I am sick and tired of getting ripped off by establishments such has this, once they have your money you can sod off.

The room that we were put in was in an annexe next door, and the room backed onto the car park and a main road which was quite noisy. This hotel is very tired and need of a total refurbishment, the staff need to get there fact's right, nothing to do with Booking.com on how the hotel is run. Needless to say we shall not be stopping at this hotel again, and I have passed this information onto family, friends and work colleagues.

Save your hard earned money and find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed here in 2014, trouble from the start with booking in, they haven't got a clue how to run a hotel I was waiting ages. The room wasn't up to standard, seemed like it had been left for weeks. Shower was boiling hot no inbetween. Reception staff are useless especially the Indian woman. Food terrible, cold and looked awful.
Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Booked for Rod Stewart concert in Stoke and due to all the hotels being booked up,we ended up in Stone,some 10 miles away.Our first encounter was asking for directions when in Stone ,only to be told it was closed.We went to the hotel and a notice in the window did say closed,however knocking on the front door a very nice obliging woman opened up and said they were only open for bookings(phew).She directed us to the free car park at the rear and we were showed our room.Recently decorated and clean,but hot and bit smelly.Bathroom was nice with all new fittings.The place looks tired and is being re decorated.We were told breakfast if req'd was £7.50 each and paid up front.Which we did.The room was on the front and due to England playing late the noise went on till the early hours.Prior to going to bed we noticed there was no hot water,put it down to the time of night,but the next morning still no hot water.The cold was slightly tepid.We went for breakfast ,most unusual,fruit juice served to you,no cereal,no top up on the juice.Full English served,but never asked about eggs style or nothing so everyone got the same,including HOT chilli sausages .One bite was enough,I'm still tasting it hours after.This also left an odour on the food.Food was served from the local Mexican place next door.We checked out and mentioned the hot water which didn't seem to be a big suprise,we were told they had been working on it 2 days last week.All in all quite pricey for the room £80.£15 for breakfast.Would we go again,no.On a plus,we only stayed 1 night.Staff were very friendly and helpful though....

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Booked a room here but was put in the annexe next door. My room faced the road and it was just too noisy for me.The place is being refurbished and maybe it will be nice when done but for now I would not recommend it. On the plus side the staff are helpful and the location is good with loads of great restaurants nearby and canal walks opposite.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!