“New Years Eve” 2 of 5 stars

Stafford, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

New Year Eve
We have been for the last 3 years I always think with this night its never going to be perfect but as long as the most part is enjoyed by everyone then its an good night.
Each year brings something you have to hold back from complaining as I think it can bring the night down and all I want is to have the best night with my friends and family and to enjoy the company of the other quests.
The Stone House has unfortunately let me down, I arranged this night for my family and overall on the night we had a very good night but I find myself having to complain this year about the state of the hotel, it is in need of a good clean even the light bulb was covered in dust I just want a nice clean room nothing fancy just clean and up to date.
I would hate it if anyone else booked a room for a special occasion.
I think it is time to review the food and the way it is presented. On the night, it was not set out right at all, it not hard you just need someone who is making sure everything is in place and the customers are (who lets face it have paid for the night) looked after.
Right just a few points
Please make sure you have enough food!!!
I don’t expected bread and butter as a starter because you have run out of starters you could of offered a salad as it was part of the main course anyway.
And I must say the smell along the corridor back to our room was horrible.
The breakfast was good and the staff very helpful in the morning.
The sing was great we all enjoyed her, but the man pushing buttons on a computer (think he call himself a DJ) was not good he did not really understand his customers, the music was very much the same, not good when you have a mixed party of ages.
Well I could go on but I thought I would just give my opinion.
Like I said I have been for the last 3 years but unless things change we wont be back.
If you are there as a couple or large party you expect a well thought out night with someone planning from start to finish a night to remember ( in a good way ).
Sorry but the rooms alone will keep me away.

Room Tip: Don't have room on the ground floor smelly corridors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip advisor, which I have read with interest and concern. I would gladly have spoken to you on the morning of your departure, or over the phone to discuss any issues you had at the time.
Please be advised that I fully understand some of your concerns and note these in preparation for 2013. I believe that accepting your comments in good faith we can approach the coming year in a positive frame of mind and look at improving areas that will enhance the standard of service and care for our customers.
We do so hope that your will be back with us later this year.
Kind regards, MikeH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

First stayed in this hotel in October 2011 in a room that had a beautiful four poster bed which was a lovely surprise! Had a relaxing drink in the lounge followed by a filling three course dinner in the hotel. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and the cooked to order breakfast in the morning was delicious. When we returned to visit the area again we chose this hotel again. This time there was a wedding party occupying the hotel and we had a quiet room at the back of the hotel. The decor of this room was it as luxurious but was still very nice. Again the staff and the food were faultless. Our last visit was in October 2012 and once again experienced great friendly service and another good standard room. Very good value for money, will definitely return, thanks.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind comments posted on Trip advisor. They are very much appreciated, and we shall look forward to welcoming you back in the near future..
Tipton West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for New Years Eve adults party and straight away entered by the wrong door and wandered around to find the reception, which was not signposted. Reception staff were welcoming and friendly. The room was in need of some major redecoration, as was the whole hotel, and also in need of a seriously good clean, cobwebs on the ceilings and walls, television did not work, pillows were like lumps of wood, furniture was severely marked and scratched and had seen better days, the carpet was very dirty, the bathroom floor was very grubby likewise the bath mat (we did not use), the shower rail and the shower head (tried not to look at it while we showered) and the bathroom blind was black and covered in mildew. However the mattress was very good and firm and we had our own little garden outside the patio doors which was very nice. The room was also well heated.
It was a long trek back to the bar for the New Years Eve party, through winding corridors and up and down steps, and through a very unpleasant sewer smell along one of the corridors.
The party itself was good, we enjoyed it. The food was okay and eatable. However our table was next to the buffet tables and when everybody appeared to be told all at the same time to get their food, we had a seriously difficult job getting back through the scrum of people lining up to reach our table and said people then proceeded to stare blatantly at what we had on our plates. Bit like fish in fishbowls and not very pleasant. The cabaret singer was very enjoyable but the DJ could have put a bit more effort in, there was no counting down to midnight, which seemed to come a bit ealier than a lot of people's watches, and some amazing floor clearing songs were played after midnight.
The breakfast next morning was truly dreadful. Eggs, bacon and sausage swimming in fat and tomatoes which we felt had actually been cooked the night before. The tea tasted as if it had been stewed for hours. On top of that several families were there with small children who were
running around the restaurant unheeded. Very dangerous for both children and staff who were carrying plates of hot food and hot beverages. Parents were not keeping the children under control and we felt the manager could have had a word with the parents about this.
We were quite glad to leave.
The night was okay but we would not go back and definitely would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I have been very concerned to read your comments posted to Trip advisor following your stay with us on New Year's Eve.
I most sincerely apologise that your stay throughout was not to your expectations, and would gladly have discussed any or all of the issues you experienced upon your departure. I appreciate that I cannot please all persons all of the time, however we at the Stone House Hotel will always strive to provide the best service we can, and endeavour to rectify any issues that may arise during a guests stay with us.
I sincerely hope that in 2013 you may give us a further chance to impress you.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed b&b on New Years Eve as we were meeting friends in town and didn't want the hassle of taxis. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel and room. Yes could do with a bit if a facelift but was pleasant and clean. Breakfast was very nice. We used the "gym" - bit if a corridor housing a running machine, bike and few weights but sufficient for a quick calorie burn! Overall - very pleased!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your kind and honest comments posted on Trip advisor. Kind regards. MikeH
Stone, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for one night for the New Years Eve's family disco. Had an enjoyable night although the food was a bit disappointing as not very child friendly and not much variety.... The hotel does need a makeover as very tired looking. Very disappointed with the staff on reception when we checked out to be told we had to pay an extra £25 for our 5 year old.... She was very rude and will not be staying there again. Ruined what had been an enjoyable night!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am in receipt of your comments posted on trip advisor. Your comments I have read with grave concern. If a member of my staff has been rude pleased kindly accept my profuse apologies. This is indeed not how we approach the business or our customers.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your Family Christmas event here, and take note of the positive comments made.
With all Christmas events our pricing structure is made fully clear within our Christmas Brochure. This is backed up with written confirmations of bookings and final payment requests. If we have unjustly charged you or not made this clear prior to the event then I shall be very happy to talk with you to rectify the situation.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here when visiting family in the area and are overall impressed with the facilities and service provided in this hotel. Parking is easy, rooms are spacious and the restaurant and bar are welcoming. There is however a tired feeling, the bar and in room menus are tatty. The main entrance consists of 2 narrow, hard to open doors when approaching armed with luggage. With only one chance to make a first impression, it seems strange that the main door is not re furbished to improve the customer experience and impression. The frontage to the main entrance was flooded on our departure day and access was difficult if not impassable. The staff did not seem to care, beyond pointing guests to a alternative equally flooded exit. Final comment- cooked breakfast served from the kitchen seems great, but why not offer the more common buffet options where the quality from my experience of other hotels is about the same if not even better.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip advisor that I have read with interest and concern. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the facilities and staff at the Hotel. This is much appreciated.
I take on board your comments regarding the frontage access, and particularly when made extremely difficult with the torrrential rain experienced at that time. The situation is concerning to us, and we have endeavoured where possible to improve this access area during storm time - however when water levels rise so high the water has nowhere to go. During this time several roads became impassable in the surrounding area.
The concerning issues however have been taken on board, and noted to senior levels.
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed for one night in this hotel during Christmas when we were visiting relatives. We booked the room as a "Virgin Experience" break (I had been given a voucher for my birthday) so we were expecting something rather special.
Unfortunately, the room was mediocre and had a faint smell of cigarette smoke, especially in the pillows and bed linen. The television screen was very small given the distance it was from the bed - we could hardly see it! The adjoining bathroom, while adequate for our needs, was dated and did not seem completely clean. When we switched the wall light on the fuse tripped causing us to lose power to the whole room and we had to get help from reception.
Nevertheless, the shortcomings of the room were offset in part by the excellent breakfast in the morning. There is a buffet area serving cereals, yoghurt and fruit juice and a full cooked breakfast is served to the table. The portion sizes were generous and the food was very tasty. The staff were very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments written on trip advisor concerning your recent visit to the area and the Stone House Hotel. I do hope the Virgin Experience was indeed an experience for you.
May I firstly thank you for your kind comments regarding the breakfast buffet, and hot breakfast and the staff you encountered.
I do however sincerely apologise for the issues you encountered with your room. I am personally not aware of any such reported at the time, and I am pleased that the light situation was rectified, however in the knowledge that your room smelt of smoke we would have immediately moved you to a more acceptable room. All our rooms are non smoking and we take it very seriously indeed should this notice been ignored. We fully understand that this can be offensive to arrival guests.
I do hope that this incident will not hinder you from visiting us again at some time in the future. Kind regards, MikeH

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!