“The best in town!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Staffordshire
“The best in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been using the Crown of India for over 10 years and although not as regular as in past years it is always a pleasure to go there.

I tend to have more take-aways but this is where I feel they win hands down over the competition. Excellent food that is always consistent and very good value. They don't deliver which is a good thing as I go and collect the food, have a pint whilst waiting and always have a chat with the owner.

I would suggest that some of the bad reviews are people trying to help the competition! Just look at some of their grammar for a start, very poor.

My only criticism is that it is very cramped inside particularly near the front door. There is more room up at the back though.

All of the staff are superb and we regularly see them outside of 'work' as they are all local people and always take the time to say hello to my two children who they have known since they were babies!

One particular night a friend and I were collecting a take-away after being out for the day and there was a long delay from our taxi company. The owner promptly drove us home!

For my wife's 40th a couple of years a go they also prepared the food for our party at home. Not something they advertise but very good value and great quality.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Stone, United Kingdom
“No Improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We first tried this restaurant when we moved to Stone. It was awful. We tried again a year later and it was no better. We left it a few years and.....no improvement.
In a town boasting a food & drink festival one would hope that the restaurants would strive to improve but this venue has failed badly. Even in the 70's I would have rated this poor.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Best Curry House in Stone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have eaten in the Crown of India for about 15 years. It has changed hands over those years and we have had the odd not quite up to scratch curry. What you need to remember is that 'not quite up to scratch' here is the norm for other curry houses. Over the last year the currys have been really superb which is matched by the customer service. The owners daughters help out at week ends and they are both charming and helpful. Madras is to die for.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Balti Of Fire”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed in Stone for a weekend get away and this restaurant was across the square from where we stayed (The Crown Hotel), went on our second night as stated before staff friendly decor dated, but its the food that matters and that couldn't be faulted Chicken Chili Balti best to date, wife loved her sizzling dish, never felt rushed but avoid a seat near the door as it gets busy with customers collecting takeaways and cold end up being a cold spot when the weather isn't warm.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stone, United Kingdom
“Dated Decor, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Having lived in Stone for five years this was my first visit. It was like walking back in time when I saw the decor. The greeting from the staff was very welcoming and seemed genuine.
I wasn't disappointed at all with the food. I had a Balti, which was one of the best I have had for a while. It was also very reasonably priced.
Will be going back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere