“Lovely meal!” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Modern British with Classical French Influences
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went to Hatters to celebrate my day's birthday - food was lovely. It didn't feel rushed - but equally we weren't waiting too long between courses. Steak was perfectly cooked and the desserts were lovely. It was a nice touch to be offered some complimentary liqueur with dessert. The restaurant was quiet on the evening we visited so it was hard to get a feel for the atmosphere - however we were well looked after.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Stone, United Kingdom
“The best food in Stone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If looking for a special place to eat then this is the restaurant for you. We were made to feel welcome on arrival and served drinks in the comfortable reception area. Menus were presented with a brief description of every item and the friendly staff were able to offer further advise.The service was of a very high standard, courteous and attentive without being intrusive. The dining area is upstairs where the fresh food was cooked perfectly to order. We were served with tasty food beautifully presented. Time was given for us to enjoy our food so that we didn't feel we were being rushed along.Coffee is served at the table or downstairs in the reception area. A lovely relaxing evening with high quality food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Staffordshire
“New Year's Eve.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went in a party of seven on New Year's Eve. Food was a fabulous 10 course tasting menu. Each course was accompanied by a matching wine. Very original and every course was fully explained and served with a flourish! The food itself was excellent as always ( I have dined there many times). Especially the superb desert with dry ice clouds drifting across the table!

Have always been made to feel welcome and I find the bar area quite comfortable - with no Care Home feeling, as mentioned by a previous contributor, It can be a bit quiet some nights and I usually prefer to visit as a party of four or more.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stoke on Trent
“Very Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very dated, felt very strange walking into hatter's as on the outside it looks modern but as soon as you walk in it wasn't what we expected at all to be honest downstairs is the bar area and it looks like a care home (May sound harsh but that`s how I felt).
When we arrived we were offered drinks then told it was a set menu and the price for the menu was 37.50. I did think it was over priced for the choice you have but i just thought the food would be lovely. Me, my husband and other two friends were the only ones waiting downstairs also a little strange as we expected an atmosphere at least. Then we got taken upstairs which is where we dined, a small room only a few other people dining there felt a bit uncomfortable and again very dated I sat there thinking what are we doing here. I had high expectations of the food because of the price so when my starter arrived it was a chicken salad I was really disappointed my husbands starter was also very disappointing, then the mains came (english steak) never have I complained about a steak I told the owner that I was not happy and he did say I should of told him sooner but to be honest he was the only one serving people and he was also up and down the stairs and by the time he came back to ask if everything was ok this is when I said.
Would not recommend this restaurant especially for the younger generation that`s for sure,
the worst dining experience I have had it would not be so bad if we had not of paid almost £100 pound on food that was pretty poor. Will not be dining there again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Poor standard of food and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The fact that the menu is a set 3 course is unfortunate, and at £37.50 per head it is not cheap. This could all be irrelavent if the food was of a good quality. The starter was bland and had very little taste, the main was average with a very thin cut for a fillet of steak, served in a manner that did not live up to fine dining in any way. The deserts were nice, however waiting 20mins for it is difficult to ignore.

Its a shame as it could be a beautiful space in a lovely location. My advice to the owners,,,,,,, move the dining area downstairs to create the environmen needed to feel comfortable and engaged with the restaurant
Matt