“Customer service doesn't exist here, owner had the most appalling attitude, avoid!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Olives Restaurant

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Where do I start with this review?!

We had a reservation for 8:45pm and turned up with 10 minutes to spare hoping that our table might be available for us. It wasn't, so we were shown to a seating area where our drink orders were taken while we waited. And waited. And waited. When approaching 9:15pm the owner came over and apologised for our wait, explaining that our table was now being prepared and that he would bring us menus over so we could select our food.This didn't happen. We could see that our table was ready for us and after a further 20 minutes of waiting took it upon ourselves to seat ourselves, seeing as it was now well past 9:30pm.

When the owner approached our table, one of our party explained how disappointed we had been at the lack of service and care thus far, and has attitude was appalling. He didn't want to listen to our feedback and simply offered us a free drink, one that I politely declined. Our orders were taken (only mains, didn't have time for starters which meant loss of revenue for him). After 35 minutes of waiting for mains, we politely asked the owner where our food was. He replied with "Well would you like your food or would you like me to tell the kitchen to cancel your order." Of course we wanted our food, hence why we waited so long in the restaurant in the first place! I asked the owner if he knew what Trip Advisor was because his version of customer service was completely inept and utterly baffling. I was on a night out with friends who I'm lucky to see once a year and his terrible attitude and arrogance was completely ruining it.

When the food arrived the waitress gave my order to another member of our party, telling him it was what he had ordered instead. When we realised the mistake, the kitchen had to sort a new meal out for me, meaning I was sat without a meal while everybody else ate. By the time my food arrived everybody had finished their food, so I politely declined taking my food because what's the point? The whole point of the evening was to have a leisurely catch-up with friends with wonderful food in a fabulous atmosphere. To top it off I was served coke when I ordered diet coke (tiny error) and one of my friends was served stale beer.

When I politely asked to speak to the owner he said he was 'frustated' by us and he threw a copy of a magazine in my face. Just as I suspected, this magazine had 'number 1 restaurant in Stone' plastered all over it. He was terribly smug, explaining that he prides himself on being number one and that our meal experience would never affect this. He was more concerned about revenue than customer service; the place felt like a conveyor belt. Ship them in and ship them out. Ker-ching for him, misery for us. Another gentleman who worked there was much more helpful with us (tall guy, unsure of his name), and happily informed us not to mess with the owner. He mentioned a past incident involving a gentleman who had been unhappy with a dodgy pizza and apparently the owner had lost his temper with him, but he didn't elaborate any further. At this point we made a swift exit, having had enough of the owner and his shambolic attitude.

Unfortunately I'm unable to review the food because I didn't get the chance to eat anything there, but other members of the party said it was okay but have had better. The only positive for me was the girl who was singing, who was fantastic but was cut off at various points unnecessarily by the owner. I can definitely vouch for the owner, don't fall for it because behind the sly smile seems to be quite a ruthless, uncaring individual. Needless to say we won't be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
OlivesGM, General Manager at The Olives Restaurant, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Firstly, thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review, we appreciate that airing your views is very important. I'd like to mention that I personally took your reservation by telephone mid week and did explain that we had a lot of bookings for the night which you requested, but that you were welcome to arrive from 8.45pm onwards and spend some time in the bar until your table was ready, which you were happy to do. As for your comments about pizza, The Olives doesn't have pizza on the menu and so unfortunately I cannot see the evidence for this comment.

We accept that there were a few problems with your table and firstly tried to apologise with some complimentary drinks. You have been keen to point out throughout your reveiw that you feel that The Olives is very concerned with taking revenue, it is a shame that you have declined to mention that your entire bill was waved at the end of the meal and that you offered £30 towards your drinks, when we were more than happy to put the whole bill on the house to compensate for your experinece, to the tune of over £150. Customer experience has always been and continues to be more important to The Olives than money.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and I wish you all the best.

Kind regards

Fiona Miller

“Horrid food, unorganised but friendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am shocked that this restaurant has been voted No. 1 in stone - what does this say about all the others!? - nice atmosphere once tables began filling up. We were made to sit at the bar until we had ordered which was frustrating as all the tables were empty! Once we had ordered, our starters almost beat us to the table. Both had stuffed mushroom, which probably would of been nice had it not been drowned in some sort of sauce that made it very soggy. Mains came out within a couple of minutes but initially only one, we had to wait about 5 mins for the other main- worryingly - lamb shank was huge but dry, fatty and very overcooked. Arabiata was not spicy at all, pasta tasted like it was very cheap and certainly wasnt al dente. How can a meditterenean restaurant get pasta wrong, its basics! The chicken in the pasta seemed as if it was processed and was chewy and fatty, the sauce was very dry and i think that there were vegetables in it, but hard to tell as i think they had been cooked all day long! Overall the service was rubbish, although the staff were friendly they messed up every time they came to our table. The senior staff member offered us a free sambuca at the end after we told him about the lamb, glad he did this. Bottle of wine was nice, but we didnt get house after reading other reviews. If you like italian food DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT, it will put you off italian food for life.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. With regards to being seated in the bar, our format is a hybrid of Mediterranean and Fine Dining styles, where it is most usual to take the time to enjoy an aperitif prior to being seated, in a relaxed, unhurried way. We’re sorry that this style didn’t suit you.

We can’t apologise enough for the delay in your meals arriving – this was due to a new member of staff who is still in training and we appreciate your frustration, steps are being taken with our training programme to avoid any further errors in the future.

I can assure you that The Olives only ever use top quality ingredients and would never use processed meats or “cheap” pasta. Your other comments were taken on board on the night and again we can only express our sincere apologies.

Best regards

Fiona Miller
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Superb Restaurant/Valentines Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My partner and I came to the Olives for the first time on Valentines for their Valentines evening. At first, having found out that my partner hadn't even checked the set menu before surprising me with this destination I have to say I was a little apprehensive.
However, this lasted all of 30 seconds whilst I walked up the stairs and into the restaurant. Walking in- to candle lit tables and a 'happy valentines' welcoming table- I have to say I was impressed. They had obviously gone all out to make this a special evening. All the fine touches had been accounted for, with extra special attention given to create a romantic atmosphere. The young lady singing love songs was a brilliant touch.

The food was also impressive, we eat out a lot and I can say this was genuinely some of the tastiest food I'd had in a long time. More so, whilst being packed with flavour, the portion sizes are generous, all in all real value for money. @ £30 per head I first thought it would be overpriced but this was not the case, upon finishing the meal, with great service, I felt we had got our monies worth. (I'll certainly be back for the £13 mid-week 3 course special!)

We intend to eat here again, and would certainly recommend it to others. It's a winner in my eyes.

Stone, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend decided to try The Olives after excellent recommendations from other family members. We had such a lovely evening and have booked in for valentines day. Atmosphere was awesome and so was the food and service! Could not fault any of it at all but what topped it off was the pianist which made our night so enjoyable. Cannot wait to return on the 14th!

west midlands
“Lovely evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just been to the olives,Sunday night really busy , 3 birthday groups in , pianist playing , lovely atmosphere , good food , will go again . Staff were great . What a jewel inStone