“Lovely Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Bistro, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Modern traditional pub, families welcome, cask ales, fine wines, cocktails, selection of coffees, local delicacies, all food homemade - hand battered fish & chicken nuggets, homemade ice cream, Sunday roasts, live music, DJ entertainment, SkyTV indoor & outside, parking available.
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

First visit today to try the Sunday Lunch. Thought the place looked great with comfy stylish leather seating nicely spread out. We both had 2 courses for £12.95. I had the leek, potato and coriander soup which was lovely followed by the Roast Beef. Beef was a bit fatty for my liking but still nice. Lots of gravy, slightly too salty for me but that's probably my taste. Veg was green beans, carrot & cauliflower. Husband had half and half gammon & beef, which he said was great, then the sticky toffee pudding with banana ice cream - a definite winner. Sure I read a review about time waiting for meals. It was about 20 minutes for my starter then about the same for main course. Perfect for my liking. Service very good from a young friendly waiter who looked like he really enjoys his job, asking regularly if wanted more drinks, food okay, temperature of room okay without being over the top

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Very disappointing experience after a good one only last week.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

After having a lovely meal and great service in the Crown & Anchor on 23.12.13, I suggested it for a family lunch today. We booked in advance and had the first sitting of 12 o'clock but when we arrived our table hadn't been set. We were the first there so anticipated no concerns and ordered off the Sunday menu which was limited but adequate for roast dinners which we wanted. We then waited for our starters for 45 minutes and after the plates cleared, sat with an empty table for a further 45 minutes which we believe to be far too long when its a set menu, nowhere near as busy as on my last visit and at this early sitting. Two other tables were served their meals prior to us despite arriving after we had ordered, but they had also complained and queried the waiting time. When the food did arrive some had food which others of the same order didn't, corrected when pointed out to the waitress however. The biggest disappointment is that the food was nice, so the time waiting for it to be cooked and served unfortunately affected this experience greatly. This was by no fault of the two waiting staff who were running both the bar and food and who simply ordered what we had requested, but again only few tables in. I'm unsure how two visits can be so different in the space of a fortnight? A further gripe seperate to the service is that when asked where the baby change had been moved to from the ladies, I was told it hadn't been put back in after the refurb which is of no issue to some but off putting if you have young toddlers or babies in your party. The restaurant and bar refurb is lovely (toilet area still messy from Saturday night) and staff who were there pleasant but I won't be rushing back for a while. The C&A was so good years ago we had hoped it would return to that but not the case today.
Although this is a negative review, I hope it is helpful to others and noted by the management to improve on.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Staffordshire
“Dissapointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I was really looking forward to The Crown and Anchor being relaunched. It has been beautifully refurbished, with a much better bar area and more open feel. It promises high quality, the menu looks varied and the chef has a reputation for good sea food and steaks.

I eagerly booked a table for my wifes birthday and with friends arrived. The greeting was good. We were shown to our table and offered drinks. A great start, the staff were all attentive and the menus were brought. The starters were ok and then the main courses. Two of us had different steaks, one seafood linguini and one chicken salad. The steaks were ok, the salad ok and the seafood just pasta and a few overcooked small prawns and some mussels (very dissapointing).

My problem is that it was all just ok, no better, typical pup grub. I was expecting more and I feel the potential is there. If it is to survive and rebuild itself it has to be that bit better than all the other restaurants, and there are many in Stone. The place was almost empty, I wonder why?

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Piri piri chicken returns!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Boxing Day lunch out with family. Great refurb. Friendly staff and well priced wine list. The prawn starter was great and the piri piri chicken was just wonderful. We shared a whole chicken between two of us but couldn't finish it all.

staffordshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Very friendly staff, great food and a nice clean environment. Was quiet when we visited which we liked and we will definately return.

• Visited December 2013