“Excellent, cant wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Maker Lane, Hoar Cross DE13 8QS, England (Formerly Hoar Cross Hall Health Spa Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hoar Cross
stoke on trent
“Excellent, cant wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booked on a special offer deal from the website for February 2013, for myself and my mother, as a birthday treat for myself.
As a package in which we both chose a facial, massage and wrap each we decided we would 'give it a go' as we usually buy the day package and add treatments we want.
Impressed is not the word!
Having been numerous times in the past we saw it good, then go downhill and the merge of the two businesses took place which seemed to result in chaos!
However, as the most critical of folks and the first to complain, we were very impressed with our whole day.
We were greeted by happy helpful people and directed to breakfast when we got very lost my the most helpful handymen.
We always prebook a yummy breakfast to start us off and the was one of the best! Hot breakfast items, toast, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, pastries or requests accepted. Plus tea, coffee and juice. Staff were helpful and attentive.
We had lovely treatments, by lovely therapists and enjoyed the advice on products without the pressure to buy.
Lunch was the best EVER!, and in the past it has been terrible but well done Hoar Cross! it has improved beyond belief. Staff were if anything over attentive and couldn't do enough. The salad bar is less but now unfussy and so just as good and the hot puddings drying out under the light are gone, which is better.
Free tea and coffee is still available which when asked we were willingly directed to and is near the hotel checkin, sounds a long way but not really at all and is still the nice little touch that many spas lack now.
It seems much better now its all one business and everyone has equal access to everything, so much more organized!

Bad points! - but just a few!
The old therapy rooms at Eden spa end are now not used and the treatments take place in the hotel therapy rooms. Everyone gathers in the corridor by the therapy desk, causing chaos and blocking the corridor.
Therapy rooms don't seem soundproofed and i could hear the conversation in the next room whilst having my relaxing treatments, so not relaxing!
The music system needs replacing in the therapy area, at one point it was screeching out such a racket that the therapist turning it off before i asked!
For the wrap i was taken from the therapy area, up the stairs, past the shop, through the coffee shop, up more stairs and into a different room. If i wasn't fit, i would have needed n ambulance by the time i got to destination!
The old therapy rooms seemed so much nicer! Please return to those Hoar cross!
One of my mums treatments was 20mins late and personally we think they forgot us, but hope this is a one off!
When we booked we got confirmation of booking, but thats all! No confirmation of treatments, extras or a credit card receipt with the cost paid. This we found odd and when queried we got another basic confirmation sent out?????

Overall, fabulous!
We left happy, relaxed and desperate to come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear suziemaya

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review - your comments are greatly appreciated.

We are so pleased to hear that you and your mum enjoyed your visit and are already planning to come again.

We publish all of our special offers on our website (www.hoarcross.co.uk) as soon as they are available to our guests and some of the packages include some amazing treatments at great prices.

A number of changes have been made recently and we are pleased to hear that you think these are for the better.

We would like to thank you again for writing your review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

907 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Having just returned from yet another stay here, I was a little apprehensive, after reading some of the recent reviews. Yes there have been changes from my previous stays, but I still had the most wonderful of times. I have always stayed (by choice) on my own, for me my visit is 'me time' time to unwind and 'chillax'. There are plenty of classes on offer, which I made plenty of use of and the free treatment has (I believe) disappeared as standard, but I booked one of the monthly special offers and got one facial included with mine which was very relaxing, with a lovely therapist. I stayed for two nights / 3 days, and there is no rush for you to leave, it is requested that you check out by 11, (understandably, for housekeeping to turnaround) but I made full use of my final day, booking a manicure, and enjoying use of the classes.
All the food was excellent, especially the evening meals, the waiting staff in the restaurant were a delight.
The room was high standard, spacious, clean, & comfortable, overlooking the gardens at the back.
Personally for me I was disappointed to find that the free beverages had been moved to the Sun Terrace Lounge, as this has now become as noisy as the Oasis Garden room. I used to enjoy this area for its 'brightness & quietness' with the papers, morning or afternoon.
Also at £2.90 for a coffee, I didn't bother to purchase anything to go with this as feel this is rather steep, when at my last visits, I always purchased some 'sweet treat' to accompany my drinks. Still all helps with the calorie intake for me - if not the profits! I enjoy wandering around the shop/boutique but again with very few prices on show I didn't purchase anything! (I remember the old saying-if you have to ask the price you most probably can't afford it) so didn't bother to ask. I was also pleased to see the 'discretionary service charge' has been removed, in this tough economic climate - My few days here are something I have to work very hard to pay for. But that won't stop me saving up for my next visit. See you again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Deni34

Thank you for taking the time to write your review - your comments are greatly appreciated.

As you mentioned we have a wide variety of activities and classes running throughout the day and therefore have plenty to offer to our guests. These vary from relaxing classes such as yoga and Pilates to more energetic activities such as Zumba and aerobics. If classes are not your thing then we have saunas, steam rooms, saunarium, Jacuzzis and many more water features to help you relax and unwind.

Thank you again for writing your review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Frodsham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

After reading many negative comments on Trip Advisor I felt it important to put across our views of our weekend. Eight of us ranging in age from 20 to 62 have just enjoyed a fantastic break at Hoar Cross Hall. I have been going for many years and last year (Feb 2012) the place was definitely looking a little tired. I was pleasantly surprised that the place has been given a face lift. The Plantation Restaurant looks great now, the bedrooms were of a high standard and very clean. The complimentary tea and coffee IS still available in the Sun Terrace Room. The complimentary treatments for each night of your stay have been taken away but I think that in this economic climate that is only to be expected, and in fairness to Hoar Cross the prices have not altered much in recent years. It is important though to remember that creating value for the customer is paramount to ensure return visits.

We did have an issue with one treatment that was not as described, this was handled efficiently and pleasantly by the Spa Supervisor (Millie). We also had a small issue with a couple of the dinners, again handled superbly by the waiter (Connor). These were both resolved quickly and our resolution expectations exceeded. Both Mille and Connor are a credit to the Hotel. The food when it did arrive was of a very high standard, compliments to the Chef.

Checkout though was slow and monies paid prior to our visit had not been allocated correctly. The lady on checkout was polite and friendly (the bills were not her fault) but I do think checkout needs to address issues with bills which happen frequently. However, thankfully, the 10% service charged has been removed from the bills as standard.

I only have one real negative, if a smoking area is provided then this should be cleaned regularly, when we went for a walk around the grounds this area was a bit of an eyesore due to unemptied ashtrays and rubbish left.

I am delighted to see Hoar Cross Hall returning to the high standard it provided in recent years. We will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Caroline M

We have made a number of changes over the past 12 months and we are pleased to see that these are being noticed and for the better. We have a numbe rof other changes taking place in the future and hope that these will be welcomed as well as the previous changes have been.

Thank you again for writing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends again soon.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Have just returned from overnight stay at Hoar Cross Hall, having previously been on a few occasions just to the day spa. I had read reviews on trip advisor before i went, having heard it had started to go downhill from friends who had recently been there, and to be honest was quite apprehensive.

Overall, the experience was very enjoyable and wasn't as negative as i had anticipated, however i do feel there are both positive and negative aspects that are worth mentioning.

On the negative side:

* Some staff, particularly in the restaurant for breakfast/lunch do appear quite miserable. On arriving for lunch my friend and i were each asked to show our room charge card (we had shared a room). As lunch was included and we had already checked out of our room, we were not told that we would still need these. I had mine, but as my friend no longer had hers we were told we could not come in for lunch without getting reception to stamp my card for her. There was no offer of simply calling through to reception to confirm - we were made to feel it was our problem and had to walk back up to reception. Even on saying to reception we were disappointed with the situation, there was no offer of apology.

*On arrival, there was little direction as to where things were or what was available. A simple map or offer to be shown round if required would be a great addition

*There is a separate pool and spa area for residents as opposed to day spa guests. Residents are allowed to use both, but we didn't see any way in which it was monitored to ensure day spa guests did not use the area meant to be just for residents. It used to be the case where there was a different styled robe for each type of desk, but as everyone now has the same i don't see what would stop a day spa guest taking advantage of the other facilities

On the positive side ( and there are lots of positives to hoar cross):

*There are many activities available, and when considering what is included for what you pay i feel it is quire reasonable.

* Our room was really lovely (we had a luxury twin room) and spacious, with beautiful views

*The food, especially dinner is wonderful. The ambience is lovely. We had a drink in the champagne bar too which was very pleasant.

I wanted to make the above comments especially for those who have already booked a stay and not been yet. Please don't worry that you will have a terrible stay, it is very relaxing and you will come away feeling glad you went. I feel I just wanted to hopefully make some constructive criticism that will help a wonderful place remain a top place to go

Room Tip: Upgrade to a luxury room if you can - worth paying a little extra - further away from the spa
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear marie b

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that it was much better than you had anticipated.

We are currently in the process of getting a small map printed which will be given to each guest on arrival in order to help them navigate their way around the building.

In October the day spa and hotel merged to create one business which now allows all guests to make full use of all the facilities on offer.

The comments about the food have been passed on to our Head Chef who thanks you for your comments. I have also spoken to the Food & Beverage regarding the staff in the restaurants in the morning and he has assured me that he will be speaking to his team to combat this issue and stop it from re-occurring in the future.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was my first visit to Hoarcross Hall with four friends who have been enjoying this spa for many years. I have been to other spas over the years but can honestly say that this was the most luxurious so far. The bedrooms and facilities were very clean and of a high standard which added to the wow factor for me. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional at all times. The treatment I had was carried out by a very knowledgable young lady who was a credit to both her industry and to Hoarcross Hall. The food and restaurant staff were of the highest quality too and our young waiter couldn't have been more friendly and again, very professional. He was very proud to be representing Hoarcross and this came across very well. We also attended a couple of the classes - hoola hoop, which was great fun and went out in the beautiful grounds to the archery class that got us all very competitive!!
All in all for a first impression.......We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Ness100

Thank you for all your kind comments - they are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My sister and I had a two night spa b reak here. The room was sumptous, the bathroom elegant and well stocked with nice toiletries. We each had a wash basin a nice touch. The food was was plentiful,varied and wonderful. The treatments were very, very good. The ameneties were fantastic. I have never been to a spa with so many different water based activities. The pools were good also. We rode bicycles in the stunning grounds, we had a go at archery and at golf.All great fun. There is a good gym and there a number of machines that tone you up in a relaxing manner. The operative of these machines is a lovely knowledgable lady.There many lovely bolt holes for a cup of tea or coffee etc. Both my sister and I want to visit again.The service was very good all over;.

Room Tip: Use the toning machines. Ask for a room with a whirlpool bath.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Eva O

Thank you for taking the time to write your review - your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I think its an absolute disgrace how people can be so selfish as to slate the staff so much on a website. It can land people in a lot of trouble. If you have a problem you should speak to hoar cross themselves rather than this website. I have been staying at hoar cross for a number of years and i myself enjoy it. Yes there has been a few changes to the place, but every business needs a few changes in order to see if it works well or not. Not everyone will like these changes but i think these comments are over the top and clearly people are having too much time on their hands. The one thing i have noticed is there is a lot of different staff every time i go but all the staff i have seen, had (lovely)treatments with and spoke to for assistance has always greeted me with a smile and been very attentive. All of you writing vile things need to realise the reality of your actions and it's not a bad place to visit!! Would recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Nikki294

As you mentioned all businesses need to make changes in order to move with the times and to remain competitive in the current market and we are therefore not going to please everyone.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!