“It was acceptable in the 80s” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel

You added Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Maker Lane, Hoar Cross DE13 8QS, England (Formerly Hoar Cross Hall Health Spa Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Crewe, United Kingdom
“It was acceptable in the 80s”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

From the outside the place looks lovely. However, the more I saw the less impressed I was. The whole place is just dated. What should be a glorious old house has been made a bit naff. The whole place needs bringing up to date in line with other modern spas.

The day spa was the exception and was very nice, but the rest of the hotel seemed to have a gold mirror or fake chandelier or cherub put wherever there was a gap. This is fine when it looks original but they just looked fake to me.

As I note some other reviewers have pointed out, I also don't want it rammed down my throat about the story of the owner. The book on the bedside, the TV channel, the pictures of him everywhere. I completely admire what he has done but I don't want to be told about it everywhere I go.

Finally, is there really a need to have celebrity pictures everywhere. It's the sort of thing cheap restaurants do. The fact one of them was a Cliff Richard impersonator just made me laugh! Also they are all from the 80s and look faded. When you have a lovely oak panelled hall way leave it as it is, please don't cheapen it.

The place has bags of potential but needs some investment before I would go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

The venue was obviously quite full as the car park was full to bursting, which entailed a long walk with my case to the door.
I would have driven to the door with my case before parking but signs near the main entrance put me off from doing this. As it happened - I believe drop off and pick up is ok and help is available on request.
Overall, my friends and I had a lovely time although, one of my party had to wait until 2pm for her room, where those of us who arrived after her, had our rooms immediately. This could have been better organised.
Although I understand that the owner of this hotel has a really positve attitude to customer service, I felt that, although most of the staff are really fantastic, there are a few who are sullen and not very effective at the customer care experience.
My own experience in the beauty area, was that the girl who carried out my facial, was quoting a script and had no interest or idea how to communicate with me. very disappointing.
The food is average and although my special dietary needs are catered for, I had to mention them at least 5 times during the visit and each time, was given the impression that I was giving new information. very frustrating.
My steak at dinner was almost inedible and the sauce didn't arrive until I asked for it and had nearly finished.
The rooms are lovely but do need the odd update in the bathrooms where holes and rust are appearing. Beds very comfortable though.
In terms of value - We felt that we did get a lot for our money and the spa break costing £195 pp included a treatment, lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day as well as use of all the facilities, classes and a glass of champers at dinner so very good.
I liked the fact that you can check in early on day one and can stay until 6/7pm on your last day. Very good value.
We also needed single occupancy rooms and were given doubles at no additional cost for single occupancy which is excellent value.
All in all, we will be back.
very nice stay.

Room Tip: lovely views in the old block.
stoke-on-trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Have just got back from a 1 night stay here, with a group of friends. Although you can't get room keys till 2pm. you can arrive any-time after 9 am to use the facilities. On arrival you are given a guided tour of the resort, and treatment times, restaurant bookings etc. are sorted. You can leave luggage with reception or take it with you. They have massive lockers though which means you can get changed for pools/gym etc. and know your stuff is safe till you get into your room. The room we had was really nice, 2 bathrooms, 3 single beds, and a proper lounge area. OK the TV was a CRT one, but overall the furnishings etc. were well matched for the building. Ultra modern would look pretty naff in such an old building. All the staff we met there were friendly, polite and helpful, no glazed look of indifference when you have a query here! The Spa treatments and facilities were excellent, once again spacious, calm areas, lovely variety of pools/steam rooms/dry rooms/ jucuzzis etc. All the food we had over the 2 days was good, well cooked and well presented, certainly none of the issues some other folk have had. As an ex Head Chef myself, I am pretty fussy as well. On departure day you have to vacate the room by 11am, but once again there are lockers , showers etc. you can use, so you are welcome to stay till 7pm . Overall, this was by far the best Spa I've visited in a long while, and we are all planning on returning sooner rather than later. Thankyou to all the staff!

Room Tip: For 6 people, 2 x triple rooms better I think.
staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Spent two nights/3 days on a Spring special break and it was perfect. I really can not fault any part of it. The room was large and comfortable, it had everything you would need and more than some offer, Coffee and tea and hot chocolate, quality biscuits not just a couple of custard creams, a large complementary bottle of water and a safe. The TV could do with upgrading to a flat screen on the wall. It was an old CRT style on a small stand which couldn't be seen when lying down - this is my only complaint about the room. We also had a seating area and a large balcony.
The food was excellent - i don't understand the complaints about lunch - it was served in the plantain restaurant which was not at all 'canteen like' as some posters have said - BUT the day spa restaurant was abit like that so maybe they went to the wrong place? The food and choice was very good, hot choices as well as an extensive salad bar too, and always fresh fruit for a healthy desert if you didn't want the gateaux, cheese or hot pudding on offer. The evening meal was excellent too, lots of choice and something for everyone. I had fillet steak and the sea bream and both were delicious. The service was good, the staff really friendly.
The spa was wonderful, we had three treatments included in our offer, and they were all superb. The hairdresser who did my hair treatment was lovely, and so helpfull, and the products themselves were really good quality. We made use of all the spa facilities and came away feeling thoroughly relaxed and pampered - the whole aim of our trip. We will DEFINITELY be booking again. I have written many posts on this site and am not always easy to please, but this experience is one I will be happy to repeat.

Room Tip: Look on their website for offers.
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I have been to Hoar Cross Hall 3 or 4 times over the years and I have to agree entirely with the previous review. Please read below for pluses, because there are a lot of them.
The minuses:
Hoar Cross Hall used to be renowned for its food. However, I had to send back 2 completely inedible main courses on consecutive nights. Neither of them should have been allowed to leave the kitchen. The complaint I made about this was poorly handled. I was given platitudes and was told they would call me. They haven't done so.
The place is dated. The sagging chairs in the Plantation restaurant, which have been so uncomfortable for years - are still sagging and uncomfortable.
We had a magnificent bedroom with wonderful views. However, in order to close the windows in the room, I had to remove the Virginia Creeper that was coming through all the windows - a free gardening service!
The bathrooms are terribly dated, with cracked baths - and , oh those pink tiles and flowered patterns! I also fell off the toilet seat, which was not really secured. Overall, though, I loved this bedroom.
Now the pluses.
The staff are all absolutely lovely and so helpful.
The place is very relaxing and most of the treatments are very good. Don't expect a 25 minute treatment to be 25 minutes though. I had 4 25 minute treatments and 3 of them were less than 20 minutes. Not good value for money. The longer treatments are much better value for money and all the therapists are good - some better than others.
The Royal Wedding Day was a real treat and very well managed. The TVs were on all over the place and you could either watch or not. The cream tea was superb and very genteel! The gala dinner and evening (apart from my main course) was delicious and the singing was lovely. Well done Hoar Cross Hall.
Would I come back again? Yes, I think I would. It is a great place for couples. It is one of the only places I think that men feel as comfortable as women.
It is still good value for money - especially if you get an offer.
The grounds are lovely and there are plenty of activities on offer.
It is an easy drive from South Manchester and Cheshire - which is a big plus when driving home.
I agree about the comments on the owners. However, they seem like very pleasant and friendly people. They were very personable on the Royal wedding Day. I am not sure why they feel they have to shout about their wealth or drive in such flash cars. I think they would be much better off just being themselves.

Room Tip: Not telling!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I've been going to Hoar Cross Hall for years and loved it, but it was during my last visit that my friend and I felt that it really was time for some investment. The stately home part of the building is beautiful and always will be, but the majority of the building is added on to the stately home and screams out 80's decor.

Back when this was opened, it really was fantastic but now the spa and leisure industry has taken off over the years, Hoar Cross (in my opinion) really needs some updating by comparison.

What's even worse is the owner's need at every opportunity to boast about his wealth, from the leaflets in the magazine racks to the books that are put in every room that he has written about how he has made his millions. It always makes me laugh! This visit though made me feel like I no longer wanted to keep lining his back pocket with my hard earned cash until he parts with some of his and updates the place! It really is the 'same old, same old!'

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from our 8th visit to Hoar Cross. We stayed for three nights over the Easter holiday and as usual Loved It!
Reading some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, as you do, before this visit, we thought we might be disappointed. Absolutely Not!!!
The standards are still there, the friendliness of the staff is still apparent, the food is great, particularly the lunches (someone compared the lunches in a review to school dinners, well I would have loved school dinners such as these at Hoar Cross) overall it is a great place to relax and be looked after.
As for the people that complain about the decor........dont stay in a Stately Home if you dont want stately home decor, simple!
If you want a fantastic Spa break, in great surroundings, with great food, attentive service and lovely facilities, dont look anywhere else. Hoar Cross is the place to go. We travel 3 hours to get there and pass a number of national spa hotels and health resorts on the way.
Mr Joynes, you keep doing what you do, excellent!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!