“Friendly Home from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eccleshall
The George Inn
You added The George Inn to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Castle Street, Eccleshall ST21 6DF, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Eccleshall B&B and Inns
Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
“Friendly Home from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The George at Castleton is well known to me, I have dined there many times, previously with family. April was the first time I have stayed at the George (previously I have either been camping nearby or up for a day trip) and I have to say that it was an absolute pleasure. Lisa is a star as are the rest of the staff there, my boys have a particular soft spot for Lelia and she, as are the rest of the staff, is so kind and welcoming that I always feel like I going to my 'local'.
The food is an excellent selection of home cooked hearty fayre, I've never had a bad meal there. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with an en-suite.
All-in-all a very good value-for-money and thoroughly pleasant experience, highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have stayed here several times and often make a point of going in for a pint. I visited the other evening and the place was far to brightly lit, no atmosphere and slow service. Such a shame. Use to live it here.

• Stayed October 2012
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Myself & my partner visited for something to eat in August, i think the pub is a 'pie pub' but much of what was on the menu was sold out (it was a busy Sunday afternoon & we dud arrive quite late).
I subsequently chose the seafood platter which was good for pub food but not excellent. The Rabbit pie however was fantastic, i would definitely recommend this pub & am looking forward to visiting again.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked the George last minute and not knowing the area it seemed as good as any. On our arrival we thought it looked lovely, typical British country pub. The room appeared clean and was certainly spacious and the en-suite adequate. Due to a migraine I went straight to bed for a lie down and it was only later after going out for dinner I noticed that although the immediate skin touching sheets were white and clean the duvet and counterpaine were suspect. I found a long black hair on the duvet between the two layers along with a ripped seam, it did not look crisp and freshly washed. The breakfast was ample and well cooked. The staff were friendly. At £75 for the night I would have expected more, even in Premier Inns you get clean bedding, at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

There is nothing bad about the George but Ican only suggest an avergage rating as there is nothing exceptional about it either.

There is only a half hour window (9-9:30) permitted for breakfast which means the staff are about thier business whilst you take breakfast. This meant that I had breakfast to the sounds of the beer pumps being cleaned in very near proximately! With such a short breakfast window you would hope to be left in peace!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

The food is outstanding - I am a vegetarian and the selection was excellent. My girlfriend had a stake which she said was cooked perfectly. The whole menu was absolutely scrumptious. Thank you and very well done.

• Stayed August 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Usually stay close to The George, however, not anymore. My wife and I have just had the most pleasant 3 day stay with mine hosts Richard and Anne. Clean comfortable room, good beer and wine. Food of excellent quality,(bring a huge appetite with you) served by pleasant restaurant and bar staff. We shall return in the very near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!