“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
W.A.
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Premier Inn for five nights while visiting the UK. We have stayed at this hotel before and have always been happy with it. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially those on reception. We ate at the hotel and enjoyed the food which we thought was good value for money. We especially liked the breakfasts. We will definitely use the hotel again when we return to visit family and friends in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have friends who live just down the road and needed to stay over. We need a room with wheelchair access and disabled facilities.

Running late as usual, rather than fully check-in I just dumped our bags and straight out again. The desk was unmanned when I got there rang the bell and a very amusing lady came and checked us in. When she asked what was in the rather large black travel case (it contains our mobile hoist btw) I couldn't resist and said it's a small dwarf! Well I hope you're letting him out later. she responded.Well made me chuckle.

As I say straight out again and when we got back later again the desk was unmanned. Got to the room and because we need space for the hoist etc I as usual had to re-arrange to accommodate. Not a problem as we're used to it. No space under the bed so make sure you bring bed raisers. TV in wrong place if you need to use the single..Big bathroom with bath but the toilet is too close to the wall and there is no space under the bath to use a hoist.The electric macerator toilet mechanism sounds like there's a munchy creature chewing you waste which is quite funny..

Living where we do we don't have much traffic noise, the hotel is right next to a fairly busy road, but once we got used to it, you don't notice it too much. Well we couldn't have done as we slept through breakfast time so didn't use the restaurant this time. We have eaten there before and it's good standard table top chain.

Desk unmanned on check out so used the key drop box.

Apart from showing me to the room and saying just shout if you need anything, we didn't see any staff, which suits us, but knowing they are just next door if needed is fine.

The hotel could do with a bit of a freshen up and they need to sort the wheelchair access from the little car park. There is no dropped kerb so you need to bump up it to use the pathway or push out into the road area to use the entrance to the main door. Even that has a rain gully you need to lift over to get across. Maybe they should mention it to the council.

On the whole a good little hotel for a couple of nights stay and if like us you can arrange round the £19 deals it's perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Apart from the road noise (ask for a room at the back) this is a cut above the usual budget hotels I stay in. V friendly staff; and menu choicces much broader and more itnresting than usual. The kids eat free was a bonus. The cooked breakfast - cooked to order for a change instead of some luke warm and dried up hot buffet, was an unexpected and delicious bonus.
On the down side - the staff were very pressed on a busy Saturday night when they had a full restaurant and a private funciton as well. We waited more than an hour for our main coourse. And they ran out of decent white wine.... Those staff on duty did their best - but it really did spoil the meal

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road and the side where deliveries come to the kitchen at 5am!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Same story really, and a good one, I honestly don't believe you can go wrong with a Premier Inn.

This is small for PI standards, only 33 rooms, but they still have all the amenities you need. I only have one small gripe about room 32 though. The layout is odd due to its location in the building, with an alcove where the additional sofabed is, this means the desk is to the right as you come in the door, but there isn't a plug socket anywhere near it! What use is having a desk with a light on it when you can't even plug it in, or any other electrical items for that matter like a laptop etc? I had to move the desk over to beside the TV and wardrobe unit so I could plug the light in and work on my laptop, only other solution is to have the top light on and the laptop power supply stretching across the room making it a tripping hazard. Not really well thought out that.

Otherwise it does everything else fine! Will be nice when they eventually get the flatscreens that are in most PI's now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

As it was a last minute business trip I ended up in Burton East rather than central (which I'd have preferred to get to the football ground that night) and I guess this one was nearly full as I was in a disabled room on the ground floor. That in itself was no real drama although the height of the bed and sink is hard work if you've a back like mine!

That aside the check in staff member was lovely and organised me a taxi with the minimum of fuss. For all it was a rushed dinner the food was good and the local ale fantastic! Breakfast was also one of the better ones I've had and set me up for a long day on the road. I'd have not hesitation booking again should duty call.

As ever my final point to Premier Inn is FREE WIFI FOR ALL please, having to log in all night is a pain in the proverbial. Do away with the charge as I'm sure you lose business because of it already. I for one often stay at Best Western for that reason alone!!

• Stayed September 2012
durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I regularly stay at premier inns and I must say this was my least favourite. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear as the saying goes!
The lady on reception was nice and tried her best but the family rooms are not on ground level and lifting toddlers who are fast asleep in pushchairs up flights of stairs isn't ideal!
Still the old small tv's, no hot choc for kids and a military operation for a pillow.
The pub attatched is a table table, not at all child friendly in my mind, a customer even asked us to turn the sound off on my sons toy!! The staff were nice and tried their best but the food was below average, the usual froen chips and overcooked everything else.
I just didn't like this place at all and I def will not be going back, it didnt have a feel of a premier inn at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Whitbread-77, Laura Gibbins-Social Media at Premier Inn Burton-On-Trent East, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review
Bury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here a few times now and the welcome and comfort of the hotel is always superb. The loacation is good for going in to town but quiet at night. The staff all always very keen to ensure that your stay is enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Premier Inn Burton-On-Trent East? Share your experiences!