“First visit to this Travelodge” 4 of 5 stars

Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Derby Road, Burton upon Trent DE14 2JJ, England   |
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Burton upon Trent
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“First visit to this Travelodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Visit Travelodge's quiet often, booked this the night before for £15 for a family room, check in staff polite and efficient, must say this was NOT the cleanest one we have stopped in, rubbish left on floor, tiles not clean in bathroom and also toilet roll stuck on door frame. About 10 minutes from town and about 15 minutes to Wetherspoons, no issues with noise but we were not facing the train platform, large free car park and a very nice building. Shame about the housekeeping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When i review a hotel i always take in to consideration how much it cost. In this case, we paid cheap and so didnt have high expections.
The setting for this hotel is, well, odd. Its literally on the doorstep of the train station and the car park made me feel like i could get mugged at anytime!
Inside, reception gave a quick and easy check in and the staff were all friendly and polite. Our room was fairly large but seemed very empty. I believe they had only been open a week or so when we stayed but we werent aware of any teething problems.
It was spotless and brand new rooms, it was just a bit dull and dreary really. Bed was comfy enough and it had a flat screen tv on the wall.
We paid extra for a buffett breakfast. The food was good but we had to keep waiting for the hot stuff to come out so it was a case of just getting what you could when you could.
My only moan really is the fact that our room was right over the Train Car Park and so i got woken nice and early with the platform announcements from about 6am!
Overall, for the £25 I think we paid i cant and wont complain, but had we have paid a higher rate I probably would have been a tad disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt over look the Train Station!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stafford, Great Britain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Arriving at 2230hrs I was disappointed to be told that the meal I had pre-booked and pre-paid was not available, as the meal service finished at 2200hrs. This was not mentioned on the booking website. I complained to the staff, who did not offer an immediate credit to my debit card. I contacted the company via its website, and received a prompt refund for £9.95.

My room was spacious and spotlessly clean, with a double bed, wall television, tea/coffee equipment, small desk and a small bathroom. The buffet breakfast that I enjoyed the following morning was basic, but satisfactory, and included bacon, scrambled egg, sausage and beans, plus toast, cereal and fruit etc. Disappointingly the "orange" dispensed by a machine was a watery cordial, not the orange juice depicted on the posters in the hotel. For a much better value breakfast Monday to Friday (from 0800hrs, and on Saturday (from 0900hrs), I can recommend Rumbletums on Station Street, a 5 minute walk over the railway bridge towards the town centre. See Tripadvisor for reviews of Rumbletums.

I agree with a previous reviewer about the railway station announcements.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Derby Street, not the railway line.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed here three times and for a new Travelodge its very clean and not your usual building as its a converted warehouse with period features. The beds are comfy as you would expect but the bathrooms are tiny and water leaks from the showers if you dont keep the curtain in the shower pan. I would avaoid the breakfast buffet as the food was just about edible. I have complained about ITV1 having lip syncing issue which has been happening for three weeks and its still not fixed. My tip would be to ask for an even numbered room as the odd number room back onto the station and you get to hear all of the announcements until quite late and then they start again quite early. I get the impression that the staff are quite new to Travelodge as they were having technology difficulties and had to program my card at least 6 times.

Room Tip: Choose even numbered rooms they are quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday 10th November as I was visiting The National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas for the Remembrance Sunday Service. It is only 8 miles away and whilst it’s NOT the nearest to the Memorial, the other Travelodge’s in Burton had very poor reviews on this site.

The hotel is in a magnificent building, loveingly wrapped around a grain warehouse and I should imagine it’s a ‘train spotters’ dream. I had a room facing the station platform, but unlike other reviewers on here was NOT disturbed by the tannoy system at all and I slept with the window open.

Everything was clean and new and had no complaints what so ever. There were ample free car parking spaces at the front of the hotel and was only a short walk from the town centre.

I decided not to eat at the restaurant but enjoy the short stroll into the town. Passed a couple of Indian restaurants who did NOT have a drinks licence but carried on past the brewery to an Indian called ‘Kishore Bondon Spice’ who did have a licence. Great new restaurant with opulent furnishings had great food and very reasonably priced to boot.

All in all would definitely recommend and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We know this hotel is near the Train station, we know trains will go past..the trains are not the problem, whoosh and they are gone. This station has an announcement practically every 15 mins from about 06.00 through to about 23.00, its constantly in the background in your room. The hotel itself is very clean as its new. The room we had was clean and tidy and adequate for the two nights we stayed. Shower has good pressure, but nowhere to place soap/shampoo etc therefore having to open and close the shower curtain and fumble around in the sink for items resulting in water all over the floor...and the hotel doesnt provide a bath mat, which could be a bit of an issue for someone not good on their feet (slip issue etc) We did ask for one but was told to use a hand towel. All in all the stay was ok, we are just glad we got the stay on their very best deal offer and not at full price!

Room Tip: Ask if they have room at the front!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gisburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed in many Travelodges across the country, this one being new is really nice, converted from a old grain warehouse,
The hotel is a 10minute walk from shops and resturants, we had our evening meal and breakfast at the Lord Burton pub which is a Wetherspoons,and is a short walk into the town
car parking is plentiful at the front of the lodge and is free,also the lodge is handy for anyone arriveing by train being next to the rail station.

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the road or railway,we did not hear any noise from ethier,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel? Share your experiences!