“Tried to cancel us with 48hrs notice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

You added Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent to your Saves list
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newborough Road | St George's Park National Football Centre, Burton upon Trent DE13 9PD, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
“Tried to cancel us with 48hrs notice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was angry when with 48hrs notice the hotel tried to cancel us and move us to another chain hotel 8 miles away. When I refused I was informed we had no choice as they had overbooked and the organisation that were requesting more rooms had priority. We were not offered a refund just a taxi to bring us to our function (which was in the St Georges complex which is the reason we stayed there in the first place). I think this is a terrible way to treat customers and they should have informed the organisation that they were fully booked and could not take any further bookings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alexandra L, Operations Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Lisa H

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, as per my email please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss further.

Kind regards

Greg Crawford
Hampton by Hilton at St George's Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our second visit did not disappoint; we are booking for a further visit in May, 2014! On this occasion we used the gym and pool; both excellent facilities. The staff remembered us from our previous visit and were keen to share experiences.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Dubaiunlimited

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014, thank you so much for your review.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Me and my cousin stayed at the hilton for a spa experience, for her birthday and for my self due to getting engaged to my boyfriend a week earlier. The spa was fantastic and Jess the lady that did are treatment was superb, and needs a pay rise. Xx couldn't give her enough praise. When we arranged at the hilton, at about 1pm the staff where fantastic at reception couldn't do enough for us, we had the executive twin room and was welcomed by a birthday card and a bottle of sparking wine. Hank you so much. Our down side to our stay was the way we were treated by the evening staff, we we're invited by two lovely people from the judo event which we accepted kindly, but we we're advised that it wasn't up to the people that invited us and we had to leave which we did with no problem, only to find out when we got back in to the crossbar, they would not serve us anymore with no reason. The way they spoke to us really upset my cousin which made her cry, she is not the kind of person that gets upset. I do not believe we did anything to be treat the way we did. We complained to reception straight away, with the two people that invited us to the event, as they left there as well due to the way we were treated, which the reception staff didn't seem to be bothered about it. We went to our room, went bed. In the morning Sonia went for her treatment, but wasn't in the mood to go due to being disappointed with the night before, any way she went and Jess again from the spa was amazing. We went for breakfast and when we we're choosing want we wanted there was a hair on the sausages, we showed the Lady serving the food from the buffet only for her to say, oh it can't be one of hers as it's not curly she removed the hair from the sausages on the buffet tray and just mixed the sausage up, it was disgusting serves, the breakfast was horrible, under cooked bacon, snotty eggs, runny scrambled eggs, my cousin has had to go the doctors today 18th November as she was unwell from the morning of 17th November which we stayed from the 16th to the 17th. Her doctor has advised her that she has noro-virus, she has been told she can't go to work from today 18th November due to this virus caught from the hilton hotel as she works with children in a school. And now she will be losing money. We are very very disappointed with all of this. When we left I asked for the email so I can complain, which I will

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Emma0563

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, we are pleased we had the opportunity to respond to your email prior to your review on Trip Advisor.
DISS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here because we attended an event in the Hilton I had a phone call 2 days before we went to say they were moving us to the \Premier Inn 10 miles away because they were overbooked luckily my Association managed to rearrange this and I was told I had a room, on arriving I was informed that I had been moved the receptionist just gave me details of the new hotel and would not enquire why it had been changed again I managed to find my organiser who had arranged the rooms and I was on the list the girl did not apologise and the next day sent on a wild goose chase for our breakfast, I feel we were treated like 2nd class citizens because we were in the Hampton on not the Hilton

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Alexandra L, Operations Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear deniseo55

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Hampton by Hilton, St George’s Park.

I am really sorry to learn of the confusion with regards to your reservation and I am glad that your organiser was able to make the amendments to your accommodation on the list.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and we do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hampton by Hilton at St George’s Park in the near future.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Whilst the rooms are really specious and well appointed, the hotel somehow is soul less. An an experienced executive lounge user around the world this hotel has the only executive loungeIve come across that only opens between 6-8 pm, You cannt even get a coffee in the lounge outside these times. When I queries this at check out I just got a shrug of the shoulders !!
They could do better

Room Tip: Executive Rooms, but not lounge are great
Dear Alwaystravelling042

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the published opening times and the reduction of the Executive Lounge offering.

Once again thank you for your review and we do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton at St George’s Park in the near future.
Lasswade, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The setting for this hotel is great, being right in the countryside in the National Park. It is miles from anything so a car is a must if wanting to go anywhere. Also great if you are a football enthusiast, particularly when there's something on.

The spa is excellent and the staff first class, which is more than I can say for some of the others, which is contrary to some other posts here.

On arrival the young chap was friendly enough but failed to communicate anything that was relevant to our stay. Like, as a Diamond member, there was no executive lounge open, even although it was during periods when you would expect it to be. I only found out when I went to find it and found darkness. A call to reception got the response that it was closed, no really! I was then asked if there wasn't a letter in the room to which I said No. I was then asked to go to reception and lo and behold there it was. Like I say poor communication.

I actually think that this lack of communication was down to they appeared new to the job and just learning than incompetence or disinterest. That said who was mentoring?

Later we went to the bar area. It was busy with many people standing around the bar, even although there were a number of free tables, however, they all had reserved signs on the, I think it as more they were reserved for meals than any particular people. I things they need to sort this out, as far as I am concerned a bar area is just that, if people want to sit down and eat then take your chance like everyone else or provide more adequate seating to meet demand.

In addition, the tables were all covered in empty glasses, bottles and plates. There seemed to be a great reluctance on anyone's part to clean up. Very disappointing and quite disgusting.

The reception area is also weird, in that it is very cavernous and they don't seem to know what to do with the space, they have put a number of football paintings/prints to help. In addition, there are a number of lamps arranged around and they are provided with power from covered ground sockets, however, while it may not be a direct health and safety issue it is very untidy and does nothing for the area.

The rooms themselves were great, we were given a junior suite at the end and it was very quiet and peaceful, with a balcony as well.

Downside to this area are the breakout areas at points along the corridors where they have table tennis tables and a tv. All of this reminded me of a residential college than a 4 star hotel.

The final insult in all of this was the fact I read this morning that the England team had decided to change their training camp from St. George's to Hertfordshire due to the fact that the hotel had been hit by a stomach bug. It was no coincidence that my partner has suffering from acute stomach pains that resulted in her being off work all weekend, and still is, with severe stomach pains that her GP states has been caused by a virus.

I contacted the hotel this morning and was told that their press office as dealing with all enquiries, what a cop out.

I contacted them but their office wasn't open so I emailed them. That was now 5 hours ago and I have emailed them back asking for some answers with a little bit more urgency that is currently being displayed.

Travellers beware.

I see the general manager is responding to comments here so I would appreciate some dialogue.

Room Tip: Junior suites are in a great position.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mike2576

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the Hilton, St George’s Park, we do appreciate your review and also for taking the time to speak to me regarding your concerns.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I recently stayed here on a spa break package and overall had a wonderful time. We upgraded to the executive suite and it was well worth it, the suite was superb and the free bar and nibbles in the executive lounge was a lovely perk. Dinner was lovely although service was a bit hit and miss- our dirty plates from our starter were left on our table throughout our meal and were still sat there while we were having deserts! Food was lovely though. We used the pool and spa and it was faultless. Breakfast was a big let down, the supervisor needs to learn to smile more. We were also not given any milk for our coffee and when I asked one of the waitresses for milk she said "oh it's over there" and pointed to the cereal station. I went to where I was directed yet there was nothing to put the milk in so I had to find the waitress again who then disappeared and came back with a small jug of milk- why she could not have done that in the first place bemuses me. But overall it was a great stay, if service is improved in the restaurant it would be a perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Nicole K

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your spa break at the Hilton, St George’s Park.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, we take all comments very seriously and will communicate this to our team, to help with any training needs.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent? Share your experiences!