“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

You added Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent to your Saves list
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newborough Road | St George's Park National Football Centre, Burton upon Trent DE13 9PD, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we were going to a wedding in nearby Uttoxeter. From the moment we arrived the staff went out of their way to help. We were in a rush to get to the wedding and as we needed to check in early they managed to upgrade us to a Junior Suite which was fantastic. The room was bright and airy and immaculate and had all of the necessary mod-cons, wireless etc. The hotel itself was also immaculate and we particulary liked all of the football memorabilia / photos - and I am not even a football fan. I would also like to comment on the staff who were extremely helpful, we needed to book taxis to and from the wedding which they sorted for us, a nice touch was that the next morning they asked us about the wedding etc, which I always think is a sign of attentive staff.
We used the swimming pool too which was lovely and the breakfast was also excellent. There was a very wide choice, everything you could think of and I would highly recommend the cooked breakfast.
Overall a fantastic stay and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Fiona G

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Hilton, St George’s Park.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments with regards to our team, it is really important to us that our guests’ enjoy their stay and it’s great to know that our team were attentive and helped make your stay a memorable one.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A little off the beaten track especially in the pitch black, but on arrival at the hotel entrance it's almost an oasis & a welcome site. A very long drive, car park at the rear with very few spaces close to the hotel entrance........pity anyone staying if it's raining !

Was checked in fairly swiftly although they did have to go and trace my booking in their back office. I was allocated a room on the 1st floor, all floors have access doors whereby you must your room key to gain entrance which is a nice safety feature. You can see how vast the hotel is from outside but believe you me nothing prepares you for the absolute hike along the corridor if your unfortunate enough to be given a room at the opposite end to reception!Given I was a lone female traveller with several bags, case, laptop bag, business bag and suit carrier I wasn't offered any help at reception with my luggage & they gave me a room one door before the absolute end to the hotel 1st floor............seriously annoying.

Room was large, with obviously brand new furniture and fittings as it's only been open 11 weeks. The bed was enormous, although not a very comfy mattress as I later discovered. I had a floor to ceiling window one of which had a lock fitted with a half opening window unfortunately as is often the case the window was locked and no key available therefore if you like a little fresh air as oppose to the air con system then your out of luck. Plenty of lighting in the room along with a narrow desk, great TV, fridge filled with the ever expensive drinks and snacks. Disappointed at the tea tray, nothing special just standard tea and coffee, milk jiggers, no biscuits. Thankfully internet access if free and the access code given on check in, much appreciated given how many hotels totally rip guests off for WiFi.

I ordered from the room service menu, I was warned at point of order that there was a 30 minute wait and bang on time it arrived. Delicious Club sandwich and fries, again though no thought given to any condiments other than salt & pepper.........why no vinegar & sauces as standard ? My food would be cold by the time I ordered it and it arrived so went without..........sort it out Hilton as a standard please.

Bathroom was lovely, speakers in the ceiling so you could bath and still listen to the TV/Radio. A separate bath and a shower cubicle (small but perfectly formed) nice but small and adequate toiletries. Plenty of towels available.

I didn't partake in breakfast so can't comment, I begrudge paying in excess of £14 for cereal & toast !

Check out was very disappointing, the receptionist moved me twice from one terminal to another without apology, despite watching me lug my luggage from place to place. I found her to be extremely rude and "off" Given reception are the first face of a hotel then this young woman needs some serious attention on customer service, her attitude stank and I could almost feel the vibe from her that she just wanted to be rid and move on back to her chat with her colleague............I was made to feel guilty for interrupting her !

All in all if the price was right I'd stay again if in the area, I'd request a room close to the lifts though unless you want the hike I had. If your an England fan then I'm sure this place would attract you given it's the FA headquarters now and England training ground.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Miss_Chief1

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton, St George’s Park.

Feedback is very important to us and we do take all our guests needs very seriously, this allows us to help towards improving our guests’ time with us and also to help with any training needs.

Again thank you for your important feedback and we do hope that you will visit us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Here for a business conference staying for two nights. I couldn't fault the place in any regard.

As it is new the facilities were immaculate. Staff was all very helpful and the food was served swiftly and was excellent.

Conference facilities were excellent with rooms comprehensively equipped with the latest state of the art equipment.

The FA Centre is worth a tour even if you have no interest in football.

Overall an excellent venue.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Talisker1987

Thank you so much for your review, we really do appreciate your feedback.

It’s great to hear that our team were helpful and professional and that your requirements dealt with efficiently.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton, St George’s Park very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

High quality rooms with comfortable beds, large flat screen TV, and sofa bed. Great free breakfast. Very helpful reception staff and excellent service throughout. Very good value at £80 per night. 30 minutes away from Alton Towers.

• Stayed November 2012
Alexandra L, Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Hampton by Hilton St George’s Park; we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I am delighted to hear that our team provided an excellent experience throughout your visit and I will be passing your feedback onto the rest of the team.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Whilst representing my employer at an IT trade event held at this hotel recently spent one night here too. Brand new hotel, lovely rooms, very comfy beds. Staff seemed quite young but have obviously had lots of training, they were very smartly turned out, polite and so helpful. Room was air-conditioned and an hour’s free internet access was provided.
Breakfast room had lovely relaxed feel, and good food choices, particularly liked the egg station, wonderful to get a freshly poached egg – though was a little disappointed at the quality of the sausages on offer.
For the IT trade event there was a gala dinner – the room used had good acoustics, lighting and ventilation, and full use was made of the projectors so show footballing clips. During the meal the staff was just so well trained, you hardly noticed them coming and going with the courses or clearing up – quite professional. Food, which you had to choose from selection in advance of the event, was delivered piping hot, and everyone together on each table, and everyone received their correct choice (on my table anyway). The well equipped stage, was used for presentations during the evening.
The next day of the event proper, was held in same area of the hotel, with the main room now divided into three presentation rooms, with the trade stands (about 20) arranged along the wide, area leading down to the presentation rooms. The layout of the whole area worked really well, the event had its own entrance (so we did not get disturbed by any other groups using the hotel), and quite self-contained with bar/catering area, and own toilets (that is often a headache at events if you have to ‘leave’ the main area, and then trying to get back in again!). My main feedback here for the event would be that the presentation rooms needed to have mikes for the speakers as sound absorbing materials made it a little hard to hear even from half-way back in the room.
During the event we had opportunity to watch an exhibition match – the football training facilities here are just fantastic – full sized indoor pitch, several outdoor pitches, gym and physio facilities – while I confess I am not really football fan, the place is quite something to see.
Overall superb new facilities – however could do with some better signposting around the site – it was quite foggy during visit so hard to know whether you were on the right road driving around the park when arriving and leaving, especially as the exterior of the buildings are quite contemporary trying to know which was the hotel and which the training ground facilities. Again signage inside the hotel complex could have been better – had to ask where the breakfast room was, and ask where the event entrance was – they could have been signposted better in the circular reception area. But these I suspect are merely teething issues with a brand new venue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear M A

We are taking steps to ensure that we have clearer signs in place for our guests, we do appreciate constructive feedback, which helps towards improving our guests’ time with us.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton at St George’s Park very soon.
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton the night before attending a conference at the hotel the following day. The hotel is beautiful with modern, contemporary decor. The public areas are spacious, bright and airy. The bedrooms are very well appointed and extremely comfortable. All staff we encountered during our stay were lovely - very friendly and attentive.

There were just a few 'niggles' that affected our experience hence the 'almost' perfect title of this review.

Firstly, after booking the hotel we were contacted and offered a discount on a spa treatment. We booked a treatment - or so we thought and looked forward to a bit of pampering on arrival. Just before leaving the house however we received another call to ask whether we would like to book a treatment. A bit odd given this had already been done an hour before? After lots of head-scratching to find our booking it transpired that the treatment had actually been booked for another day for some reason - unfortunately not the one we were there for though! So, no treatment after all as no other slots were available.

Secondly, there was no soap in the bathroom. There were the usual toiletries in the form of shampoo, shower gel, conditioner and moisturiser etc but no actual soap to enable us to wash our hands. We ended up having to use shower gel - not exactly the worse hardship in the world I know, but how on earth can a hotel not put soap in their bathrooms!?

Thirdly, we pre-paid our room rate which included dinner and breakfast. We had a torrid time in getting the correct bill on checking out as for some reason an additional amount had been applied due to the rate not being recognised. It finally got sorted out but unless we had actually queried the bill we would have been none the wiser but a lot of money out of pocket.

Lastly, after dinner we went to the bar for a couple of cocktails. A saga ensued which involved waiting over 25 minutes (!!!) for our drinks. We watched with amusement as the barman ran back and forth to the kitchen and in and out of a room at the back of the bar to fetch various bits and bobs. He studiously examined the menu and handled each ingredient as if he was about to split the atom! It took so long we almost went to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks while we were waiting! When they finally arrived the barman apologised for the delay, saying that they didn't get many orders for cocktails so he didn't really know how to do them and not all of the ingredients were available from the kitchen. He then left us to it only for us to realise there was no straw with the tall drink we'd ordered. The drink was full of ice so had we tipped it to drink it would have gone all down our front! Went to the bar only to be told they didn't have any straws - after a short search the barman found the shortest straw in the world. Unfortunately however it didn't go more than half way down the glass so we admitted defeat, returned the cocktail and called it a night.

Dinner in at the restaurant was very nice, but the pre-paid rate menu was very limited. There were 3 choices for each course with the main comprising of chicken, salmon or pasta. Ok, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary and not worth what it actually cost on breaking down the rate. Half way through our meal we overheard the next table speaking to the waitress. They were staying on the same rate but had obviously questioned the limited selection only to be shown the full al a carte menu from which they were free to choose from at a supplement. Had we had been told this we would have opted for something different. We'll definitely bear this in mind next time and not book the 'half board' rate.

While several points have been raised in this review, the title of it still describes our opinion. The minor niggles were more to do with what appeared to be the inexperience of some staff (apart from the soap issue) rather than the standard of the hotel. The hotel is brand new and therefore staff might just need a bit of time to 'bed in' but overall it is a great place and a hotel we would have no reservation in recommending. We will definitely stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in an executive room so can't compare but the standard room was spacious, contem...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Maldives Junkie

I would like to thank you for posting your review and also completing our on line questionnaire, after your recent stay with us at the Hilton at St George’s Park.

I would like to thank you for bringing the matters to our attention and I do hope by responding to your on line questionnaire promptly, you know that we take all feedback very seriously which helps towards improving our guests’ time with us.

We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Glos, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Arrived at this hotel after a long journey due to traffic problems . Check in was very efficient and we were given our room on the Executive floor. On arrival at the room we were very surprised but extremely happy to have been upgraded to the Glenn Hoddle Suite , which was superb and the bathroom amazing. After unpacking we found the safe to be faulty which was important for our stay (maintenance unable to fix problem but a very friendly man) .After speaking with Neil on reception a solution was found and dealt in the most professional manner. We enjoyed our afternoon tea and evening drinks with canapés just another lovely surprise. We had dinner in the Restaraunt which was well presented and served by very friendly staff. Breakfast buffet was also extremely good with everything to set you up for the day. We found the pool a little cold, but great steam room.
How would we rate this hotel after staying in many top class hotels over the years, this is certainly one of the best and the staff very friendly . Thanks again to Neil and the lovely lady in the executive lounge. Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room tip - if you can go for an Executive rooms they are worth it .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager-GC, General Manager at Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Hilton at St George’s Park, we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

I am delighted to hear that our team dealt with your issue with the safe promptly and professionally, thank you for the kind comments especially about Neil, our Maintenance and Executive Lounge team, I will pass this onto them.

Been to Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent? Share your experiences!