“A Big Pink Cow !” 3 of 5 stars

Wellington Road, Burton upon Trent, England
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Part of a new wave of the Beefeater Brand,Exciting new brand with new core values....LOVE FOOD....LOVE PEOPLE
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“A Big Pink Cow !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Like many other reviewers recently , we had dined here before the refurbishment - what seems to have changed besides the big pink cow - is a drastically reduced menu, drastically reduced portion sizes and clearly the size of cows - looking at the steaks that we had - I doubt that they were 7oz steaks . The atmosphere has completely changed and whilst the staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive - the food was a major letdown. My husband and I asked for medium rare on our steaks - what turned up was a cow that had clearly been in the sun - too much sun ! So we sent it back, for a 2nd attempt . And whilst mine was better ,my husbands was still sporting a very good sun tan ! Anyway the manager was very understanding , apologised etc - but would we go back - very unlikely .

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Midlands UK
“Much better before the refurbishment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was the first person to rate this Beefeater on Trip Advisor and I was full of praise,
but it is no longer on our list of regular eating places since the refurbishment.
As other reviewer said -why refurb when less than 1 year old ?
Was always a bit more expensive than "pub grub" but now substantially so.
Cheapest wine has gone up by £1 a bottle since the refurb, and although I was pleased to see lamb on the menu it's much too small a portion and too expensive at £14.99 - playing card pack piece of lamb served on a small helping of crushed potatoes with one small portion of vegetable -would have expected a dish of assorted veg, but no you can pick either brocolli,spinach or carrots.
They've stopped doing the Bottomless chip option too -when i asked why I was told
they're encouraging healthier eating -didn't notice that from the dessert selection!!
The staff were still excellent but we left feeling hungry and overcharged and disappointed.
We shall visit The Mallard at Derby to revert back to Beefeaters standard pre-furb menu and hopefully come away feeling we've had a decent meal at a fair price

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stafford, Great Britain
“An extraordinary refurbishment - what has improved?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Arriving after a week's closure for refurbishment, it seems that the Merry Monk is having an identity crisis. All the external signage for the MM has gone, to be replaced by huge pink cows, and the word Beefeater. Perhaps not the best start.

The pub has been transformed.... all its "character" has gone, and the interior is now just one huge eating area with tables, reminiscent of a canteen. Formerly there was much woodwork within the pub, with small and large eating areas, for couples and families. All this has gone, and everyone can see, and more importantly hear, everyone else. I was there at 1800hrs on a Tuesday; my food from the very much reduced and limited menu, and service were very average, but I feel that there are better options near by that offer better food and better value.

Many regulars have posted about the Merry Monk before the refurbishment; I shall be interested to see the ones in the future. If you enjoyed the place before, you may still enjoy it, but my title question remains; why the refurbishment of an 11 month old pub? Why spend many thousands of £££ on a "new" building,.. and what has improved?

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Went for a quick lunch with my daughter and grandson, to our surprise the place had been refurbished, unfortunately not in a good way! (the place has'nt been open that long) Why try and fix something that wasn't broken?
We had to wait 40 minutes after we had been served drinks for a salad, steak baguette and chicken nuggets, mine and my grandsons lunch was ok but my daughters steak was like eating cardboard.
This wasn't my first disappointment with this place , won't be going back again.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Big disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked our table for 8 oclock. Having arrived for 8 oclock, our table was not ready. Whilst waiting at the bar we were then told there were hardly any drinks or food left as they are having a refurb the next day, fair enough. They had ran out of pastas, fish, pretty much everything other than steaks. Desserts was just as bad. The waiter who said he was looking after us disappeared half way through and another waiter took over. Service was very slow from start to finish. Refurb or not, the service should have been good. The price of £69.91 was frankly disgusting for the service we recieved and the lack of availability with food and drinks. The vouchers available to compensate this were as good as pointless as £5 off next visit does not make up for the apaulling cost of the bad night. Staff are very polite and friendly but
but the whole place was short staffed. Certainly not the fault of the waiter. There needs to be more staff to share tables enabling them to deliver good service.

• 2 of 5 stars Food