“Happy but not very good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, British, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Cardiff Gate. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Cardiff’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Happy but not very good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited this carvery for family lunch on Boxing Day. The reasons for choosing were: we fancied some roast beef, they offered unlimited veggies and sides, and they gave me a voucher 2 for 1 for signing to their email newsletter.
Ok, the Burton's restaurant was nice and clean, the staff was pleasant. But I showed them my voucher they informed me It was not valid yet, somehow they forgot to mention this small information on their website. No problem we though, would be nice but did not really matter.
We were seated on the side of the restaurant which was satisfactory as we had 2 under 2 years old with us.
The staff was really promp with drinks, great.
However the lunch was not so great. They gave out warmed plate which was so hot I had to use to 2 napkins to hold it, and the amount of meat is even difficult to describe, it was three really thin pieces of beef, which would not satisfy even my 18 months old toddler does not matter he can have full plate of carrots and parsnips :).
So yes overall, I found them ok, they were not bad but I don't consider them being good value for money.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Burton, United Kingdom
“Poor all round!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I usually like to find at least some positive features when I am writing about a place; however, it is rather difficult to after my lunch here yesterday. I suppose the price £5.99 is okay (although, I had a better carvery last week at a pub in Donisthorpefor £4.99 including dessert!) and that's about it. I had been once before and found it rather mediocre, but decided to try it once more before passing judgement, but nothing had changed. The staff don't seem to have been trained in customer service and the food was bland in taste and mainly cold! The girl took our drinks order on seating us and then promptly forgot to bring them to us! (This happened last time too!) The whole demeanour of the staff is one of disinterest and, consequently, the place lacks any ambience at all! The meat was pretty tasteless and the vegetables looked as if they had been standing too long and were overcooked (swede and cauliflower soft and parsnips very overdone) and all were cold, except for the fresh dish of carrots. I know that for many people a carvery is just for piling up your plates at a cheap price, but, even so, the food should be cooked properly and hot! I will not be eating there again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Derby, United Kingdom
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went to the Burton Toby with friends, this was my first visit, and differently my last. We all ordered soup, half an hour later we were still waiting. When it eventually arrived it was cold, it took two staff members to bring it, and they were just carrying one at a time. We then had the carvery, served on cold plates, you could see through the meat, and most of the vegetables were not hot. No staff organisation at all, the service was terrible, no one seemed to be in charge. They need to employ better quality staff, with a catering background. Because what was demonstrated was pure chaos.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Filling, good value food, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner, mother and I took two small children and another young child in a wheelchair about 6pm on a Friday. We were given a large table which was slighty away from the main part of the restaurant (which had its good and bad points as we felt slightly alienated even though it was quieter, with more space). The waitresses were really friendly and helpful, especially when it came to choosing childrens meals... we had a '2 for £10 voucher' which they let us use twice -for 3 adults and two children, so the children shared an adult meal (better value than the childrens meals) and were given a small plate each etc. Kids had colouring books right from the start, drinks came quickly and we were told we could go up to the carvery, however the kitchen staff were just starting swap the veg over for fresh veg etc which lead to a 10minute or so wait - I'm glad we kept watch and jumped up as soon as the re-stock had been done, as within minutes a large queue had developed. Food was as to be expected, beef may be over-cooked for some, turkey a little dry around the edges, veg a bit mushy, gravy didnt taste home made and a little salty BUT given you can eat until you burst its not bad value, far quicker and much less hassle than cooking a large roast with 4 or so veg yourself. Desserts mainly Sundae type and a bit overpriced but delicious, and they have to make their money on the extras I guess. Recommended for a quick, fillling meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Sunday evening. No atmosphere. Food was only warm. And as for the service. Absolutely appalling. On my doorstep but I'll never go again. :((

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere